What have I gotten myself into???

Guest Derrick150

Guest Derrick150

I bought what I thought was a set of cheap $80.00 handheld FRS radios so my wife could keep in contact with me while fishing on the lake while we are camping. Cell service is nonexistent at the lake. I thought that GMRS just was better than FRS. First page of the instructions says FCC license is required. Great! So, FCC website is a nightmare! 2 hours later there is a new $35 charge on my CC, and I think I have managed to apply for an FCC GMRS license. How long will it take to get this license? Can I use these radios this weekend or am I going to have to wait until FCC issues a call sign? Google pointed me to this website. Now I am wondering what is a repeater? Do I need to buy one? Do I need to join with one. Nothing in the instructions says anything about repeaters. Help please I really am a freak about following the rules. Newbe is way above my head here. Maybe I might want to be a radio enthusiast, someday, but for now I just want know when dinner is ready, and if she bought beer at the store. Thanks in advance. I will check back later for reply.

Derrick150 don’t panic. If you got a charge on your card you should have an email from the FCC very soon, likely less than two days. It may take longer to get into the data base that they send out that this site uses to verify your call sign. That’s pretty normal. Keep checking your email and check your spam folder too. If you go ahead and use your radios especially for first 22 channels no one is going to care or come after you. Don’t worry about repeaters, you don’t need one. You can learn all about that here at your leisure after your trip to the lake. Your wife is free to use the radios with your call sign. Just enjoy the lake and your new radios and the company of your wife. It’s going to be fine.