Laird Fg4607 Antenna

WRDC898

Almost forgot I had this laying around in the corner of the shop. I do need to get a N to SO239 adapter and a stand-off side mount for the shop, but it should be a big improvement over the Midland mag mount on a file cabinet. I already have a pass through, ground plate, 6 8' ground rods driven into the soil, lightning protectors, spare antenna switch, etc. For my ham stuff. It's brand new, just found it while messing with my 72 Duster.... Too many projects, moves, marriage, ect. 

If anyone here has some tips or knowledge regarding this antenna, please let me know. BTW, I love quality verticals. I have a Diamond Dual Band XD510 for ham 2m/440 that is amazing and has lasted for 15 years in 80+ MPH winds here in Colorado. 

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG

Using a Browning clone with an HT.  Second story window, in suburbia.  Compared to the HT with handheld antenna, one real advantage is you can position the antenna just right.  I find that moving a few inches left or right makes a big difference with multipath signals here in suburbia, so the base antenna fixed in the right position is great, using a flex cable the last two feet to the HT.  In fact, using the HT with a 1/2 wave antenna is fine if you can find and hold the right position while you talk.  30 miles to the repeater, clear signal.

Also while on the sidewalk the signal comes and goes every few feet, and again if I stop in the right position I can hit the repeaters.

So maybe play with the exact mounting position of your antenna and see if it gets better or worse.