RA87 40W GMRS Mobile Radio and Heavy Duty Radome Antenna Kit from Retevis

WRPL700

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I wont lie Ive seen those antennas on rigs over seas and looked into one at one point but it was stupid money. First one I've seen paired with a GMRS rig. Hard to tell in picture what the antenna is. 

Here’s the antenna separately:

https://www.retevis.com/mr300-1200mm-heavy-duty-fiberglass-radome-gmrs-antenna-us

5 hours ago, WRPL700 said:

I just saw that Retevis now has a 40W GMRS mobile radio.  The website is pretty thin on details:  Retevis RA87 40W GMRS Mobile Radio and Heavy Duty Radome Antenna Kit | retevis.com

Well I would love to see @OffRoaderX give a review. What do you say Randy, anything in the pipeline for this? 

So I downloaded the manual from Retevis Solutions  and it has an only partially in english manual but it’s from a Recent RS-900 which from what I can gather is a 60 watt Ham version.  Though I haven't found much on it and I haven't found an FCC number.  It sure looks the same so my guess it’s factory reprogramed for GMRS… I'm still searching for more info.

I am intrigued. I'm tempted to get one just to know but that would be silly right? Right??

26 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

So I downloaded the manual from Retevis Solutions  and it has an only partially in english manual but it’s from a Recent RS-900 which from what I can gather is a 60 watt Ham version.  Though I haven't found much on it and I haven't found an FCC number.  It sure looks the same so my guess it’s factory reprogramed for GMRS… I'm still searching for more info.

I am intrigued. I'm tempted to get one just to know but that would be silly right? Right??

Not silly at all.  After all, it's on sale!

I also found this info about the RA87:  

RA87 40W Powerful Long Range GMRS Mobile Radio

If you already have GMRS radios 50 watt and are still looking for a 40 watt, RA87 40W Powerful GMRS Mobile Radio fits the bill well. Furthermore, this amazing product is well-equipped with 22 high or low power GMRS channels.

This radio further came with 8 repeater channels, which are perfect for increasing communication range. So, in open areas, longer-range communication is easily made possible.

Surprisingly, this radio comes with 260 privacy codes! Thanks to the privacy codes, you can choose between multiple channels to avoid hearing unwanted transmissions!

Additionally, this product has some other features:

200 memory and Call channels
Memory channel group management
Multiple Scan modes can be selected
Programmable hand microphone function keys
LCD display and adjustable backlight colors
Compose simple repeater station
Dual standby, dual frequency display
DTMF encode and decode function
MSK signaling encode and decode
Same/different/reverse frequency setting
Wideband/Narrowband adjustment
APO (Auto Power Off) protection
Voice companding
260 CTCSS/DCS
AIN Identify code

The link to the webpage:  40W Powerful GMRS Mobile Radio (twowayradiocommunity.com)

So I also found this:

HOW TO USE 2 RA87 40W MOBILE RADIO MAKE A REPEATER?

Do you worry about not having a repeater when you need to make a long-distance call? The New RA87 can work as a repeater in outdoor.

The range limitation on GMRS handheld radios is 5W, which can reach about 1.5 miles in an open area. If you need a long-range call you should talk through a repeater. But a repeater is expensive even if you order an RT97 or RT97S portable repeater from Retevis.com. But now, you can use this new mobile radio RA87 if you need a long-range call directly or through a repeater to extend the call range on your handheld radios.

About RA87 GMRS mobile radio

The high power of this new radio is 40W. And according to our real test in an open area, the direct call range is 20km. So, its direct calling distance can meet the needs of regular calls.

The numeric microphone can program the radio, you can press the function buttons and the numeric buttons can operate the radio. It is convenient for drivers if they have to set up their radio in the car.

ANI function can send a signal to recognise your receivers to private your call.

A programming cable in the set, so that you can program on the software for quick programming.

And it can use a data cable connected to 2 RA87 mobile radios to copy the data and make a repeater.

How do make 2 RA87 radios work as a repeater?

1. You should have a data cable to connect your 2 radios.data-cable.png
  2. Connect to 2 RA87 mobile radios through the data port on the back panel.
  3. You can work on any repeater channel, and please confirm your RA87 mobile radios are on the same channel.
  4. Set up your handheld radios. If radio A is a transmitter, and radio B is a receiver. So, the TX and RX of radio A should equal the RX of your RA87. Similarly, the TX and RX of radio B should equal the TX of your repeater RA87.
  5. Then, a simple high-power repeater can work well with you.

The link to the website is here:  How to use 2 RA87 40W mobile radio make a repeater? - Two Way Radio Community

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Not silly at all.  After all, it's on sale!

So I told my wife about your comment "after all it's on sale" and she says (jokingly of course) "you're not allowed to play with Sshannon anymore.?

43 minutes ago, WRPL700 said:

So I also found this:

I also saw that.  Linkable like the Wouxun KG-1000 for repeater use. They even make it easy for you with  this set up also on sale.  After seeing some peoples issues with the two radio repeater set ups I remain skeptical of how well this set up will work. 

50 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Having lower output is a feature!

I bet they meant to say 5 watt rather than 50.  No one uses an editor anymore. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

I get that a lot! It sounds like you’ve got a good one

Thanks. Yeah she used to worry when I window shopped but she knows I usually research something to death first.  I told her about some unobtainium OEM car part the other day that came up for sale at a great price and she says "get it, you'll wish you had".

My one concern on this radio is that I do not see a fan on it.  Does anybody else see a fan?  I know in one of the write-ups it said to not to transmit on high power too long... so then I have to drop it to 5 watts?  How does this make sense?  They should have added a fan. 

I had high hopes for this one.  I guess we will have to wait for some reviews.

35 minutes ago, WRPL700 said:

My one concern on this radio is that I do not see a fan on it.  Does anybody else see a fan?  I know in one of the write-ups it said to not to transmit on high power too long... so then I have to drop it to 5 watts?  How does this make sense?  They should have added a fan. 

I had high hopes for this one.  I guess we will have to wait for some reviews.

No, just molded in thick heat sink fins on the bottom and back.  You might have to point a fan at them.

How long do you transmit at a time anyway?  Or are you hoping to buy two and make a repeater?  Based on past forum posts I’ve read that doesn’t seem to be a very effective way to put up a repeater. 

• 3 months later...

I just ordered this radio.  Got it with 15% off on Amazon! Couldn't pass this up. With 200 memories, it will allow me to program many different repeaters on my trips.  Yeah! My fingers are crossed.  I haven't found any reviews on this radio. This thread has provided more info than anything I have seen. Thanks to everyone on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Like everything, fans have pro's and con's. While they are good for cooling a higher power radio they also draw in dust which can cause problems for longevity especially off roading in dusty conditions. That kind of dust can have minerals in it that can cause corrosion of circuits and contacts.

In those conditions a lower power radio that can be cooled properly with heat sinks could last longer. Just have to leave some air space around the back. Besides all radios have a "duty cycle" rating. Even ones with fans.

Just something else to consider.

• 8 months later...
On 5/4/2023 at 6:01 PM, WRUU653 said:

Recently purchased the RA87. Comes factory with the GMRS channels 1-22 and the 8 repeater channels.  I downloaded the programming software and driver from the website and used the supplied cable to program the radio.  Like many HT's I see ORX go off about, the RA 87 had CTCSS or DCS codes on almost every channel. First order of business was to clear those, and set tones for the 2 frequencies we use about the spread so I only hear wifeypoo and the son when they call.  Then I set up the 6 local repeaters hereabouts. Added some outstate repeaters we use when Off-Roading and/or travelling to see friends.

From what I've seen, the radio is easy to program on the rig, but it was super easy to do on the laptop!.  Have only had it a couple days, but so far the extra oomph of the 40 watts has worked well around town. Better than the DB20-G it replaces, which will replace the MXT275 we were using at home.

And yes, when you use the software, the first thing that pops up is the Freq. range window - either 136-170 (I think, at work) or 400-490, so yes, this is the same platform as the 900 2m rig it seems.