Kenwood TH-D72A

Swords

I have a Baofeng UV-5RTP and its a great value (not Part 95), but the keys are noisy, doesn't have an FM tuner, multi-band scanning, dual PTT, etc.  I really like the AnyTone NSTIG-8R but it isn't CHIRPS compatible and their programming software is quirky and Windows-only.  I'd like to get a quality HT for HAM and FRS/GMRS but it seems like I need two HTs.  Any advice?  

I have a Baofeng UV-5RTP and its a great value (not Part 95), but the keys are noisy, doesn't have an FM tuner, multi-band scanning, dual PTT, etc. I really like the AnyTone NSTIG-8R but it isn't CHIRPS compatible and their programming software is quirky and Windows-only. I'd like to get a quality HT for HAM and FRS/GMRS but it seems like I need two HTs. Any advice?

APX-7000. Or Harris Unity. Both are in the multi-thousand dollar range.

Personally I think a dual band HT is a bit of a novelty really. Pick a radio for the mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think a dual band HT is a bit of a novelty really. Pick a radio for the mission.

I hear ya.  I live and work in NYC, almost never drive a car, live in a shoe box and look for optimizations of size and functionality in almost everything.  If there is a mobile unit that would suit my needs and be easy to power without hauling around an inverter and battery pack, I could probably make it work.  

If you were me, would you just carry two HTs and have a base at home or something else altogether?

Thanks for the perspective.

I hear ya.  I live and work in NYC, almost never drive a car, live in a shoe box and look for optimizations of size and functionality in almost everything.  If there is a mobile unit that would suit my needs and be easy to power without hauling around an inverter and battery pack, I could probably make it work.  

If you were me, would you just carry two HTs and have a base at home or something else altogether?

Thanks for the perspective.

So you are more or less going to be limited to repeater use anyway. What I'd do is invest in a UHF HT capable of running 430-512 MHz (or something in that range). I say that because NYPD, NYFD and some of the city comms are still running on an analog T-band system (470-512 MHz). UHF tends to outperform VHF in an urban environment so I wouldn't worry too much about not having VHF. If interested in amateur radio, its also not that uncommon for small city wide coverage UHF repeaters to be tied into larger coverage VHF repeaters though I can't really speak for NYC. There are also some digital options that come into play if one is interested in that as well.