Looking for antenna upgrade recommendation.

Greetings all.

I just ordered a pair of Wouxun KG805M radios and looking for some upgrade antenna's, both hand held and NMO mount mobile.

I don't find any MURS specific hand held whips. Buy Two Way Radios does not even have any listed under accessories for these radios. Now maybe just a VHF model that covers the frequency range is fine but I like dedicated antennas for each band as they tend to work best.

I have found a couple mobile's such as DPD Productions MURS 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna. Looks like a good option but not much else so far.

Thanks for any suggestions.

17 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Greetings all.

I just ordered a pair of Wouxun KG805M radios and looking for some upgrade antenna's, both hand held and NMO mount mobile.

I don't find any MURS specific hand held whips. Buy Two Way Radios does not even have any listed under accessories for these radios. Now maybe just a VHF model that covers the frequency range is fine but I like dedicated antennas for each band as they tend to work best.

I have found a couple mobile's such as DPD Productions MURS 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna. Looks like a good option but not much else so far.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe that’s because of this regulation:

§ 95.2719 MURS replacement parts.

The operator of an MURS transmitter may replace parts of an MURS transmitter as indicated in this section. All other internal maintenance and repairs must be carried out in accordance with § 95.319. 

(a)A damaged antenna may be replaced by another antenna of the same or a compatible similar type. 

Hey thanks for the info guys. Turns out I already have a Diamond SRJ77CA (a 15" dual band whip) for another 2m/70cm HT. After looking it up it should work good for MURS. I'm going to order another one and try them out. Just got the radios yesterday will be testing them this weekend.

Yup got that covered. That is what we do with our KG935G+ GMRS HT's they serve as mobile's for my wife and I and the KG805M take the same speaker/mic's. And yes we have mounts for them as well, works very well. Just looking to experiment with MURS. I like the fact that no one uses it around here. I have been scanning the MURS frequencies for a while and have not heard a peep on them. Plus we live on top of a hill with line of sight to most of the area we want to cover out to around ten miles including our small town about 4 miles. Theoretically it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright we have got a bit of testing in, so far only out to four miles but it does work. At four miles the the stock antennas will not reach (that was tested at one location only) however with the Diamond SRJ77CA on both radios we were able to talk with a bit of back round hiss. Not perfect but good enough. Now most of the testing so far has been with my wife driving around with the radio connected to a Comet CA-2x4SR dual band mobile mag mount. This has proven to be a very versatile antenna. It works great on GMRS and now it is working very good on MURS as well. It is the best antenna I have tested so far. At four miles and with me using the Diamond outside the house facing her location it was very good, almost full quieting on my end she reported more hiss from me. I assume this is due to the better antenna on her end transmitting more energy than mine.

I just order two more antennas to try. A DPD Productions dual band GMRS/MURS mobile mag mount with BNC connector and a base antenna from  KB9VBR Antennas, a VHF Public Safety, MURS, Marine, & Scanner Slim Jim Antenna. I have had good luck with his copper tube J-pole's so far. Should be a noticeable improvement on a mast above the roof and on top of a 500 foot hill.

Will be doing some longer range testing when time and circumstances allow.

So far I like these KG-805M radio's.