Just received a Tidradio H8... how the heck do I program and use it?!

majordude

20 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Looks like that model has the TID Bluetooth programmer already installed, so you can program it with their app:

So I went to Repeaterbook and found a short list (just 36 repeaters in CA?!!). What does "Closed" mean? (And why publish it if it means "private" repeater)?

And what do the two check marks mean on the last repeater?

Is there anyway to import this into Tid or Odmaster software?

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 4.06.51 PM.png

7 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

I do not use Repeaterbook often, especially for GMRS.

Closed means that they control the membership and use of the repeater.  It is not open for just anybody's use.

I do not know what the green check marks signify and I will have to open up Odmaster and see if they have upgraded to an Input function.

What is an alternative for finding repeaters near me? I only know of Repeaterbook.

19 minutes ago, majordude said:

And why publish it if it means "private" repeater

So if someone is putting a repeater up in the area they can avoid conflicting signals. 

A friendly heads up, it is not permitted to post repeater tones and info here in the forum unless it’s yours. 

So last questions, I think...

1. I heard something about colors? Am I completely lost in the weeds?
2. Repeaters and tones... does a specific repeater have a single tone or more that one tone? (Can you and I be on tone 1 and Jon and Sally be on tone 2 on the same repeater?)

30 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

1.  These sound like DMR options, which are totally irrelevant to GMRS.

2.  No. but yes in DMR as Slots, not Tones.

LOL. I did go down a DMR rabbit hole last week as well. HAM, GMRS, DMR, DSTAR, APRS... yikes! This could only happen in the USA.

46 minutes ago, majordude said:

So last questions, I think...

1. I heard something about colors? Am I completely lost in the weeds?
2. Repeaters and tones... does a specific repeater have a single tone or more that one tone? (Can you and I be on tone 1 and Jon and Sally be on tone 2 on the same repeater?)

As @WRXE944 mentioned, color codes are a DMR thing, and not applicable to gmrs (currently, anyway, who knows for the future).

On the second item, it CAN be done to have a repeater accept more than one tone, it can be assigned to different users, or configured for local repeat vs also passing audio to linked repeaters. However, unlike DMR (and the time slots), it doesnt allow more than one user to use the repeater at the same time.

50 minutes ago, majordude said:

These are the only repeaters I see on this site. Am I missing something? This is even less than Repeaterbook.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 5.13.30 PM.png

Depending on how you filter the Find Repeaters page, in California, there are at least 140 active repeaters,  and another 130-some "stale" repeaters that haven't been updated in a while and may or may not exist. There are definitely not as many GMRS repeaters as there are amateur radio repeaters.

2 hours ago, majordude said:

It sound like channels 1-whatever are just like the old CB channels, right?

What do the tones me or do? They don't apply to the basic channels? Do I need to adjust the tones when using repeaters or does Repeaterbook have everything I need?

The use of Tone will keep your radio silent unless the incoming transmission also carries the right tone (right tone opens squelch) - no tone means just regular squelch that opens when you get a good enough signal.

In repeater terms: If you do not transmit the right tone, the machine will not hear you :)

Basically, all repeaters listen for tone (to avoid accidental transmission) but not all transmit tone - on your end that means: Always program a transmit tone for repeaters - only program a receive tone if you are positive that the receiver transmits the tone.

Closed repeaters do not publish their tones so that you cannot use them (unless you spend the time to sniff out the tone).