What is the best base station antenna?

Walker77

Question

What would be the best base station antenna to install on a house?

I currently have an Ed Fong that sticks up a foot or two over the peak of the roof.  I can reach out about 25 miles to the north east but I can't hit a repeater about 10 miles north.

I realize some of my problem is our sub division sits in a bowl.  But im wondering if a better antenna would help.

7 answers to this question

Not really, but height would.

No real magic in antennas, especially from manafacturer to manafacturer. Hence, why you see similar bandwidth and gain values.

But if you can get the antenna above the ridgeline, then you will see improvements. Maybe even huge gains in reception and transmission distances.

Once up there you can look at yagia (trade more gain for losing omni direction pattern) etc and all the usualy yada yada.

Your antenna can only really get out to places it can "see".

Sounds also like your antenna is very obstructed by the house. Usual recommendations are try to get ²/3 of the antenna above any near field obstructions at least.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

You got some good advice by kidphc.  Get that antenna up higher.  You have an 8' tall antenna with only 2' in clear view.  Shadowing from the home is likely making a noticeable impact.  I would recommend the base of the antenna be at least 3' above the highest point on the roof.  If you could make it higher than that, more height equals more range.

Once you are clear of the house obstructions then if you still can't reach then you must keep going up. You will need a proper mast of some kind. 20 feet above the roof peak or more may be needed. If that still is not enough a directional antenna may help as mentioned. I use an Arrow Antenna's brand GMRS Yagi antenna. Very nice quality antenna. They can be rotated if necessary. If none of that works you may be out of luck for that one repeater. Welcome to two way radio, it can take some (or a lot) of experimentation and funds to get (or not) the results you want. But that can be half the fun of radio. learning what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.