FM 11m CB Radios?

Lscott

I notice only a few of them new AM/FM CB radios have sub tones.  I sure wish the FCC would have allowed FM 40 years ago, because my friend and use to hang out at Holmesburg Junction with our CB walkie talkies and the RFI from the catenary sounded horrible.

Growing up in Europe, I was able to enjoy FM CB.

So, when I heard about the President Randy II FCC, I had to get one!

However, even with a telescope antenna, my desert seems rather silent on FM - and somewhat busier on AM.

I like FM better than AM but I am lacking the data to substantiate my claim more 'scientifically' 😵‍💫

18 hours ago, kidphc said:

Wanna borrow mine to try?

Your ft891 is capable of you mars mod it. I think.

Plus Jack has a sirio on the back of his vic.
Not sure what radio it is attached to. I think it is a President with fm.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

It would fun to try, for sure. My FT-891 sounds like trash on CB once i get about 1/4 mile away, but when it's close to transmit stations, it blows out my front-end to the point that I can't make out what they are saying. Even if I turn the RF gain to the lowest setting and turn on stuff like the IPO, NB, DNR, etc. 

I've been thinking about buying a Galaxy or a President, but they are steep given it would be occasional use.

It would fun to try, for sure. My FT-891 sounds like trash on CB once i get about 1/4 mile away, but when it's close to transmit stations, it blows out my front-end to the point that I can't make out what they are saying. Even if I turn the RF gain to the lowest setting and turn on stuff like the IPO, NB, DNR, etc. 

I've been thinking about buying a Galaxy or a President, but they are steep given it would be occasional use.
Again you can borrow the anytone. Jack knows a lot about 11m, so consult with him before you jump.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, marcspaz said:

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/consumer-radios-cb-radios/products/radioddity-cb-27-pro

I have the anytone 5555. Have talked to a few local guys on FM and it sounds great. Problem is that you have to ask one to go there as they still hang out on AM.
Those modified rigs use a wider deviation than what is allowed for cb. You may find them a bit quiet and you will.sound garbled to them.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jwilkers said:

Those modified rigs use a wider deviation than what is allowed for cb. You may find them a bit quiet and you will.sound garbled to them.

The deviation for 11M FM CB I believe is 2KHz. The closest match would be narrow band FM at 2.5KHz.

15 hours ago, Lscott said:

The deviation for 11M FM CB I believe is 2KHz. The closest match would be narrow band FM at 2.5KHz.

Out of curiosity, I've got a late 80's Cobra 148GTL-DX somewhere in the shed I haven't powered up since the early 90's. Is the FM mode on the old "export" radios based on this chassis compatible with the new FM standard for CB?

On 6/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, jwilkers said:

I have not run into that at all, been talking FM with a few folks here all weak.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:32 AM, Bushwacker said:

I am a trucker I run a a stryker 477hpc2 converted to 11meter. Fm is dead . Not a sole on it. Mabe in large city's but for the trucking community they stay on AM . 

A possible second justification for staying on AM would be the reason aircraft use AM. Since there is no equivalent of FM capture effect, a weak emergency call could be heard as background to whatever conversation is taking place (though the idiots running illegal amplifiers and spending 5 minutes just announcing themselves in order to snag a 30 second response from somebody else would never notice).