Icom F-21GM

WRWH978

15 minutes ago, WRWH978 said:

Anybody own one of these? I see them on ebay for $150, beyond paying for the Icom brand name, is it more of a robust GMRS radio? Just curious.

No, but you can download the brochure for it here.

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloads/DownloadDocument.aspx?Document=202

It looks like a simple stripped down GMRS radio, 15 channels with no display. IMHO that's way too much for a radio in this class with so few features.

I would look at some of the other commercial UHF radios for that kind of money you're talking about. Myself I use a Kenwood TK-3170. These turn up for sale used for the money you're talking about with a battery pack, antenna and a charger base. The programming software is easy to find on the internet and the programming cables are cheap.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/9/TK-2170&3170Brochure.pdf

14 minutes ago, WRWH978 said:

Thanks, great suggestion-  hoping to find a TK-3170 that's in decent condition, some of the ones look like my dad's old chevy truck.

You'll have to shop around a bit. Don't get in a rush to buy one. A second alternative is the TK-3173. It's the same radio but with trunking features, which you won't care about for GMRS. It's programmed using the same software and cable as the TK-3170.

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-3173.pdf

Oh, before I forget the radios are Part 95 certified to so they are perfectly legal to use on GMRS.

Also make sure you get a US market code model. They are several different types out there. I got two from Ireland a while back that required a different version of the software to program them. Look at the photos and VERIFY it has an FCC ID of  "ALH34713110". Sellers frequently get the description wrong so looking at the FCC ID is a good way to be sure what you're looking at is what you want.

If you get either one I have all the documentation, brochures - user manuals - service manuals, for them. I also have the programming software and the most current radio firmware too.

While the official frequency range is 450MHz to 490MHz you can program in frequencies under 450MHz for use on the Ham 70cm band if you have a license or thinking about getting one. The software will generate a warning every time you do that but will accept the entry when you click OK. I have a number of Ham 70cm repeaters programmed in mine and it does work. One of the reasons I like Kenwood radios. Some other manufactures won't let you do this.

TK-3170 Grant.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, WRWH978 said:

I see quite a few Kenwood models listed in chirp -- is it better to find the kenwood software to program them? 

YES!!! The commercial radios have a lot of options/features that chirp can’t adjust. Your only choice is the official Kenwood programming software. Most of the software can be found on the internet along with the installation keys.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:35 AM, WRWH978 said:

Anybody own one of these? I see them on ebay for $150, beyond paying for the Icom brand name, is it more of a robust GMRS radio? Just curious.

It's based on the IC-F21 commercial model, so I'd say it is a robust radio, but not to the tune of $150.00

I lucked into a used one a few months ago for $49.00, I replaced the OEM antenna with another one [the original was starting to deteriorate], I need to get a NiMH battery for it, it came with a 600 mAh Ni-Cad

I have a programming cable that fits anther Icom & found the software online, so I reprogrammed it to my preferences, since out-of-the-box, channels 1-8 are repeaters, channels 9-15 are the 462 MHz interstitial, & all channels are set to narrow band, so I tweaked it a bit

Programming it with multiple key/PTT presses? No thank you

If you're an Icom aficionado, & want a Part 95 h-t, I'd say get one, but I wouldn't pay more than $50.00 max depending on it's condition & what accessories it has, just my .02 cents

12 hours ago, axorlov said:

I don't think TK-3170 is supported by Chirp, unless it's recent development.

I don't think it is either.

If somebody was looking for a small HT with a bunch of features to use for GMRS that radio is one I would recommend. It's also Part 95 certified.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/263-tk-3170jpg/?context=new

There is a similar model, TK-3173, that uses the same programing software, cables etc. 

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-3173.pdf

Both can be programmed out of their band split to get them on the Ham 70cm band. I have a number of Ham 70cm repeaters programmed in mine.

3 hours ago, WRWH978 said:

Are the used kenwood radios on ebay worth considering or I have seen an actual new ones for higher $$$? I guess the used ones are worth pending on condition - also accessories included? Thx

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question. Things to consider:
- condition of the radio, how much it is beaten up;
- condition of the battery, assume you will need to replace it;
- speaker and programming port: 3170/73 have Kenwood port that is also used by the majority of CCRs, so cables and speakerphones work. 3140 has a different, more robust connector, but that means buying special programming cable that will not work with Baofengs. Do you have Baofengs? Do you plan to have Baofengs?
- you will need charger, 3170/73 takes both LiPo and NiMH batteries, so makes sense to get universal charger KSC-25;
- antenna connector, Kenwood radios generally not compatible with CCR antennas, you will need authentic Kenwood antenna, they are cheap though.

In 2014 it was no brainer to get a pair or three of 3170 for $100 total, replace broken parts, get new batteries, and have a good radio for about $70 a piece. Today ebay prices on used Kenwood radios went up, so I'm not so sure anymore. New KG-805G is only $100.

I would pass on that one. It looks like one of the old 16 channel models. They are OK but lack any means to change the programming including tones. These radio are program and forget types where you never need to make field changes. I have a few of the TK-3160’s and TK-3360’s in my collection.

TK-2160_3160 Brochure.pdf TK-2360-3360 Brochure.pdf

1 hour ago, WRWH978 said:

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

I would pass on that one. It looks like one of the old 16 channel models. They are OK but lack any means to change the programming including tones.

In my world, some issues other than the programming would have raised the red flag ... 🤔

🤣  😂  🤣

... someone made that radio work !!!

17 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

In my world, some issues other than the programming would have raised the red flag ... 🤔

🤣  😂  🤣

... someone made that radio work !!!

You can buy an after market rebuilt case for the radios I attached the brochures for at around $15. I’ve replaced cases before. It’s rather straightforward if you work carefully.

I would still hold out for a TK-3170 or TK-3173 if you want a Kenwood HT. I’ve seen the full kit, radio+antenna+battery pack with charger, for $150 more or less with everything in very good condition.

2 hours ago, axorlov said:

If he has a K1 type cable, which the Chinese ripped off from Kenwood BTW, for many of the Chinese radios it should work on those. I have around 8 to 9 of the 3170’s, same for the 3173’s. 

TK-2170_3170(K) Brochure.pdf

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

If he has a K1 type cable, which the Chinese ripped off from Kenwood BTW, for many of the Chinese radios it should work on those. I have around 8 to 9 of the 3170’s, same for the 3173’s.

Yes! And the Baofeng/Btech external speaker-mic also works fine with 3170.