VXR-7000U programming questions PLEASE HELP

WROC658

Question

Hi everyone I don't want to beat a dead horse but after reading some of the discussions here i am still lost.   i bought a vxr-7000u for my family to have some fun with the radios when out camping or whatever.  I bought the programming cable and software.  I don't think it is connecting although i do hear a beep when connect the usb data cable.   

the upper portion of the software shows VHF not UHF    I don't know how to get this to properly connect to the PC.  Is their some type of firmware or driver that needs to be installed?  in the files purchased i don't see any "drivers" to install.

does anyone know of a good step by step video instruction to do this? The only one i could find is in spanish on youtube  

basically I am 100% clueless with this and it doesn't help that i have been out of the technology loop for 20 plus years.

any help would be appreciated

thank you

20 answers to this question

I just set one up last week. The software will show VHF by default until it connects and downloads the config from the radio then it will show UHF. First thing is to check what com port the cable is set to in device manager or if the correct driver is installed for the cable and the software is set for the correct port.

Check out this thread on programming it, it helped me quite a bit. 

i don't see an option to reply to either one of you so i apoligize for that  if that doesn't display my ability with electronics lol

the cable and software i bought from AntennaFarm.com 

not sure what version software it is i dont know where to look for that

running windows 10 (had to ask my son that one lol)

thank you both i will look at the thread you pointed out

I just set one up last week. The software will show VHF by default until it connects and downloads the config from the radio then it will show UHF. First thing is to check what com port the cable is set to in device manager or if the correct driver is installed for the cable and the software is set for the correct port.
Check out this thread on programming it, it helped me quite a bit. 

Sorry just figured out how to reply on here. I wrote a couple things above.

I got it to work. The mic port is where the Ethernet goes not the back. I decided to watch the Spanish instructions on YouTube and saw the connection in the front.
Oddly I am able to only program one channel. The rest are faded out and can’t be changed. Is their a solution to that?
Thanks and how do you like your’s so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Which cable to you have/where does it connect?
  • What version of the software do you have?
  • What version of Windows are you running?

My apologies I don’t know how to respond to individual reply’s until now.

I was able to connect. And program. I can only do one channel though. The other 15 are greyed out.

Mine lets me program all channels, so I'm not sure why yours would all be greyed out, but I only ever need/use one channel so if mine were greyed out i would have never noticed.

Running the program in "Dealer Mode" will give you access to more options and features.  To run in Dealer mode, add "-d" (without the quotation marks) to the end of the program name/path in the Target box of the shortcut that you use to run the program.

9 hours ago, WROC658 said:

My apologies I don’t know how to respond to individual reply’s until now.

I was able to connect. And program. I can only do one channel though. The other 15 are greyed out.

That's normal. If there is nothing programmed on the channel (or it is disabled) the whole line is greyed out. Simply double click the channel number to enable it.

9 hours ago, WROC658 said:

Sorry just figured out how to reply on here. I wrote a couple things above.

Thanks and how do you like your’s so far?

I bought mine a few weeks ago for one heck of a deal with the intention of giving it away to the guy here who runs my favorite repeater. The existing repeater antenna is up 400ft or so using two old Johnson mobiles linked together as a repeater. The repeater site is 30 miles from my house and is a bit noisy at about 1/2 to 3/4 scale on my S-Meter but usable. I'm just hoping the VXR-7000 makes it a bit more usable. I've got it all programmed to go in, gave it to the repeater site owner this week and he is planning on installing it sometime this weekend. If it works better great, if not it was a $100 gamble I lost.  

14 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Mine lets me program all channels, so I'm not sure why yours would all be greyed out, but I only ever need/use one channel so if mine were greyed out i would have never noticed.

Running the program in "Dealer Mode" will give you access to more options and features.  To run in Dealer mode, add "-d" (without the quotation marks) to the end of the program name/path in the Target box of the shortcut that you use to run the program.

i figured it out late last night    have to double click each row then able to input data

5 hours ago, markskjerve said:

I bought mine a few weeks ago for one heck of a deal with the intention of giving it away to the guy here who runs my favorite repeater. The existing repeater antenna is up 400ft or so using two old Johnson mobiles linked together as a repeater. The repeater site is 30 miles from my house and is a bit noisy at about 1/2 to 3/4 scale on my S-Meter but usable. I'm just hoping the VXR-7000 makes it a bit more usable. I've got it all programmed to go in, gave it to the repeater site owner this week and he is planning on installing it sometime this weekend. If it works better great, if not it was a $100 gamble I lost.  h

that's cool.  does it have a duplexer in it or using two antennae?

i just plugged it in today to prgram some more and realized it was transmitting for no reason on its own.  no antenna was hooked up to it and it was for a very short period of time  i just hope its not burned out although their is a video on youtube of notarubicon doing a torture test on a mobile radio and it took a lot to bring it down 

5 hours ago, markskjerve said:

I bought mine a few weeks ago for one heck of a deal with the intention of giving it away to the guy here who runs my favorite repeater. The existing repeater antenna is up 400ft or so using two old Johnson mobiles linked together as a repeater. The repeater site is 30 miles from my house and is a bit noisy at about 1/2 to 3/4 scale on my S-Meter but usable. I'm just hoping the VXR-7000 makes it a bit more usable. I've got it all programmed to go in, gave it to the repeater site owner this week and he is planning on installing it sometime this weekend. If it works better great, if not it was a $100 gamble I lost.  

also when prograammhing the TX and RX it is reversed on the repeater correct?  high freq is RX and low is TX ?

22 minutes ago, WROC658 said:

that's cool.  does it have a duplexer in it or using two antennae?

i just plugged it in today to prgram some more and realized it was transmitting for no reason on its own.  no antenna was hooked up to it and it was for a very short period of time  i just hope its not burned out although their is a video on youtube of notarubicon doing a torture test on a mobile radio and it took a lot to bring it down 

If I had to guess CW-ID is enabled and it's sending out the CW-ID. Press the Repeater/Base button on the unit to disable repeater (LED turns off) and it shouldn't transmit while you are programming it.

Correct.

All done. Some issues here and there. Their is a Morse code that transmits the previous users call sign. Would like to switch it to mine but their is no option. I’ll disable it for now and not use it until I learn how to program it. I am able to open the window to see the info but it’s greyed out like the rows for each channel. Weird. Won’t use it until it’s fixed.

Also has you see in the photo the pin or peg is spread open in the back from the pin from the cable forcing it to spread. RX side I didn’t connect yet and it will spread that pin open as well. Is that normal? 3137b52beb32a10a0d4361b1b8c335c1.jpg

b762194412555a6ef2b73388a154ba93.jpg

46 minutes ago, WROC658 said:

All done. Some issues here and there. Their is a Morse code that transmits the previous users call sign. Would like to switch it to mine but their is no option. I’ll disable it for now and not use it until I learn how to program it. I am able to open the window to see the info but it’s greyed out like the rows for each channel. Weird. Won’t use it until it’s fixed.

Also has you see in the photo the pin or peg is spread open in the back from the pin from the cable forcing it to spread. RX side I didn’t connect yet and it will spread that pin open as well. Is that normal? 3137b52beb32a10a0d4361b1b8c335c1.jpg

The TX connector is toast. It looks like somebody tried to force a SO-239 antenna connector into the Type-N connector on the radio.  

The TX connector is toast. It looks like somebody tried to force a SO-239 antenna connector into the Type-N connector on the radio.  

I’ll try and bend it back into place. If not I will try and replace the connection if I can access it from inside

1 hour ago, WROC658 said:

Both of those connectors are female N connectors which are more appropriate for UHF than the SO-239 chassis connector. 
I wonder why the designers used the same pitch and diameter for the bodies of both connector. I’ve seen the N female fingers broken before because someone failed to recognize that it wasn’t an SO-239.