KG-UV9GX vs KG-935G Plus

focker

My first thread here and the situation is that I am going back and forth between the KG-UV9GX and the KG-935G Plus trying to decide which one I want to clip to my belt and would like some input to further confuse myself.

I have watched a couple of Randy's videos but I still find myself asking my Dobermans if they have a favorite and get nothin' 

IMG_4611-X3.jpg

18 minutes ago, focker said:

My first thread here

Welcome to the forum !!!

If you have some time to brows, you will be able to find a lot of discussions about all issues that might go on in your head right now (but who has the time to read it all 😵‍💫).

I always try to make the "purpose" my starting point!

• If SHTF is most important, then there are good arguments for a fully equipped (even it not compliant) solution - even if I will never get to learn all its features.
  • If day-to-day fun and utility is the purpose, I might lean to easy and solid and cool. Something I like to look at and use - even if it does not offer all other features.
  • If you just want to have a reason to chat with dogs (without anyone judging you) - you do not need a radio: We all chat with our "real loves" 😂

When it comes to technical performance: They all do the job and out in real live, an antenna upgrade is much more important than memory channel counts!

I purchased the KG-UV9G (not the X) for my son-in-law before the X version came out. It came with all of the SHTF frequencies already programmed. It is a really nice radio. I have the KG-935G Plus. Of course it didn't come with SHTF frequencies but I have added everything I wanted and ended up putting most of what came on the UV9G on the 935G Plus. The UV9G (and the newer X version) is a superheterodyne receiver where the 935G Plus is a Direct Conversion receiver. As far as performance goes they are both about the same. We have used both radios talking to each other with the OEM antennas out to about 3.7 miles in a mountainous area where we didn't have direct line of sight and had clear communication. That is a little unusual and other areas in the mountains we don't get that range. Anywhere he could hear and talk to me I could hear and talk to him. They both work repeaters well. He is going to purchase the 935G Plus as he and I just gave his grandfather our KG-905Gs to use on his ranch. The 935G Plus has more volume than the UV9G which is good for me. I really don't think you could wrong with either radio. Both companies have great customer service. Sexy wrist strap aside, If I could only have one, I would probably go with the KG-935G Plus. You could just sell a body part and buy both! Have fun with which ever radio you decide on.

Thank you for the input everyone.  Of course having a sexy wrist strap is a deal closer and should complete the look if I sell the Rubicon and get a Bronco Raptor. 
For the sake of the conversation, I have a handful of other radios, some long in the tooth like some very old Kenwood GMRS with non removable antennas and a bunch of FT-60s that somehow ended up with a scratched resistor. I do a lot of dual sport motorcycle rides and Jeep runs in the deserts or mountains and try to make sure we are all connected meaning I usually am the one supplying radios. It would seem I have friends that will spend $5,000 on suspension, tires and wheels but won't throw down $150 for a radio 🙄.

The Yaesus do not do split tones so I am thinking it is time to pick something up that gives me that option and of course is part 95 compliant. Several repeaters in the Sacramento valley use split tones.  I am tempted to get a KG-935G Plus and KG-UV9PX and sell a couple of the FT-60s to cover the purchase.

Everything on the Rubicon trail area is HAM with typical tones along with a newer GMRS repeater.  Oddly I have yet to hear any chatter on the GMRS repeater.

Here is another burning question, which antenna is currently the favorite flavor for the Wouxun HTs?

58 minutes ago, focker said:

[...] It would seem I have friends that will spend $5,000 on suspension, tires and wheels but won't throw down $150 for a radio 🙄. [...]

🤣     😂     🤣

That is such a common occurrence - people who argue for hours about a $10 prize increase on a big box item while sipping a fancy Starbucks drink 😇

6 hours ago, focker said:

I am tempted to get a KG-935G Plus and KG-UV9PX

I don’t think you would go wrong with those choices. The KG-935G Plus is just a great radio. I grab that more often than not. I think the KG-UV9PX being the ham sister to the KG-UV9GX and superheterodyne is a good ham choice. I’ve been eyeing that as well. If I could help you spend your money 😂 and you clearly spend time outdoors, I’d say give a look at the KG-S88G as well. It doesn’t have all the bands others have but it’s a superheterodyne and waterproof (IP67) GMRS for when it’s wet and muddy out. 

7 hours ago, focker said:

which antenna is currently the favorite flavor for the Wouxun HTs?

I have the Nagoya NA-771G and I feel it’s my best GMRS HT antenna, though at 15” it’s a bit unwieldy so I use the almost as good NA-701G at 5.5”. To be honest the stock antennas do seem pretty good. Just my opinion. Cheers, buying radios is fun and addictive. 😀

20 hours ago, focker said:

Thank you for the input everyone.  Of course having a sexy wrist strap is a deal closer and should complete the look if I sell the Rubicon and get a Bronco Raptor. 

If anyone knows which wrist strap is going to impress all the chicks, it's @OffRoaderX. He may also agree with me that keeping the Rubicon is the better way to go.

Then again, I'm the type that firmly believes that FORD stands for F&$@er Only Runs Downhill. Seems like everyone I know that owns anything produced by Ford is constantly repairing it. One even had a turbo seize up on an EcoBoost F-150 with less than 20k on it.

2 hours ago, jsneezy said:

If anyone knows which wrist strap is going to impress all the chicks, it's @OffRoaderX. He may also agree with me that keeping the Rubicon is the better way to go.

Then again, I'm the type that firmly believes that FORD stands for F&$@er Only Runs Downhill. Seems like everyone I know that owns anything produced by Ford is constantly repairing it. One even had a turbo seize up on an EcoBoost F-150 with less than 20k on it.

I will be sticking with the Rubi, just having some fun taking jabs at the Bronco crowd.  Speak of wrist straps, would this give me more fars and bring in the ladies? I was thinking the LV means Long and Vigorous.

Louis-Vuitton-Canvas-Keychain-Wrist-Stra

48 minutes ago, focker said:

I will be sticking with the Rubi, just having some fun taking jabs at the Bronco crowd.  Speak of wrist straps, would this give me more fars and bring in the ladies? I was thinking the LV means Long and Vigorous.

Louis-Vuitton-Canvas-Keychain-Wrist-Stra

I could be wrong here, but I think with a Wouxon (Ocean), the wrist strap that impresses the chicks, is the one that comes with it. It might be worth checking out Randy's video from about a month or so ago about using your wrist strap without violating FCC regulations. 

14 hours ago, jsneezy said:

Giving it too much credit "runs"...

Found on Road Dead
Fix or Repair Daily

During their "quality is job 1" phase -- my rejoinder was "ergonomics and comfort? what are those?"

7 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Giving it too much credit "runs"...

Found on Road Dead
Fix or Repair Daily

During their "quality is job 1" phase -- my rejoinder was "ergonomics and comfort? what are those?"

Put it in reverse and it's Driver Returns On Foot.

To get back on topic, I think the KG-UV9GX is going to be the better of the two, partly because of that sexier wrist strap, but also the fact that it's superhet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 3:22 PM, WRHS218 said:

I purchased the KG-UV9G (not the X) for my son-in-law before the X version came out. It came with all of the SHTF frequencies already programmed. It is a really nice radio. I have the KG-935G Plus. Of course it didn't come with SHTF frequencies but I have added everything I wanted and ended up putting most of what came on the UV9G on the 935G Plus. The UV9G (and the newer X version) is a superheterodyne receiver where the 935G Plus is a Direct Conversion receiver. As far as performance goes they are both about the same. We have used both radios talking to each other with the OEM antennas out to about 3.7 miles in a mountainous area where we didn't have direct line of sight and had clear communication. That is a little unusual and other areas in the mountains we don't get that range. Anywhere he could hear and talk to me I could hear and talk to him. They both work repeaters well. He is going to purchase the 935G Plus as he and I just gave his grandfather our KG-905Gs to use on his ranch. The 935G Plus has more volume than the UV9G which is good for me. I really don't think you could wrong with either radio. Both companies have great customer service. Sexy wrist strap aside, If I could only have one, I would probably go with the KG-935G Plus. You could just sell a body part and buy both! Have fun with which ever radio you decide on.

I bought the KG-935G Plus also. I love the radio, and Wizard Programming makes things much more manageable. Have fun, and be safe out there.