Trying to connect a SoftComm aviation intercom system to a Kenwood TK-8180 mobile - Help

JCase

Question

I recently purchased a four person SoftComm aviation intercom and have searched and searched for an adapter that would take the two 1/4” jacks (one for the mic & PTT and the other for the speaker) and convert them to a connector that would work on a Kenwood TK-8180 mobile. I haven’t had any luck with finding an adapter. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

As always any and all suggestions are appreciated.

17 answers to this question

I emailed Paradan’s team and the reply stated “no we don’t offer such an adaptor and we aren’t aware of anywhere to refer you to that does”. So, I’m back to the drawing board. Again, thank you for the suggestion BoxCar.

Anyone else ?

Hey guys,

WRXE944 = Since this is a portable intercom system I plan on using it with my Kenwood mounted in a noisy fire truck - hence the reason I purchased the intercom. I seriously doubt the FAA will have any issues with that.

BoxCar = I purchased this entire used (looks & performs like new) system with two practically new headsets for under $150. I refuse to pay the outrages prices of the equipment from pretty much ANY U.S. based company. I'm all for making a profit but the mark-up that they place on their equipment is shameful.

Sshannon = I am not very good at building anything related to communications equipment and I lost my good friend (in the amature radio world he would be referred to as an ELMER) last year. He was the only person (other than the awesome folks on this website) that I could go to for help/guidance and to be honest, I don't really enjoy building this sort of project BUT.......That's exactly what I am going to attempt. I've already purchased the PJ-055 & PJ-068 female panel mount connectors for the double plug lead of the intercom to plug into (instead of modifying the intercoms connections), a DB25 connector to plug into the radio's accessory port and just in case I need to use the front mic port, a RJ45 connector. Now it's just waiting for my orders to arrive and me, not having much of a clue as to what I am doing, trying to figure out what wire to connect to where and hope I don't short, burn up, blow up the radio and that my contraption will work properly. Only one way to find out.

I'll post an update either way in a few weeks. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

11 minutes ago, JCase said:

Sshannon = I am not very good at building anything related to communications equipment and I lost my good friend (in the amature radio world he would be referred to as an ELMER) last year. He was the only person (other than the awesome folks on this website) that I could go to for help/guidance and to be honest, I don't really enjoy building this sort of project BUT.......That's exactly what I am going to attempt.

Feel free to reach out to me if there’s anything I can do to help. 

Greetings once again,

Ok, the parts have finally arrived. These would be the the DB25 for connection to the accessory port of the Kenwood TK-8180 and the PJ-068 and the PJ-055 for the connection from the SoftComm portable aviation intercom with PTT. I have searched, searched and searched for schematics on the SoftComm intercom but have had no luck. The only phone number for SoftComm is no longer a valid number and I have contacted several other aviation intercom manufacturers to see if they would be able to assist with the information and they not only claim they aren’t able to provide such information, all but one gave me a major attitude over the phone.

So, once again I am reaching out to you guys & gals. Does anyone know/have the schematics for this intercom or does anyone know where I can find such a thing ? I need to know which connection is for what coming from both jacks from the intercom so that I can connect them to the correct terminal on the DB25 ?

As always any help is appreciated.

John WRDM373

Have you tried to contact an Aviation Avionics Repair/Service Company? Most of them specialize in aviation audio systems and have dealt with interfacing numerous systems to aviation onboard intercom systems. Some of them build custom audio/intercom systems that interface with various LMR systems. More than likely they may not provide any information for free but, you can try to see if they have the info you're seeking and decide from there if you want to pay or not.

Shannon = if I knew what I was doing it probably would help but…….

nokones = I tried several different manufacturers of aviation intercoms (no names mentioned), all were less than helpful. However I hadn’t thought of trying any avionics repair shops. Another option I thought of since I’m located in the Daytona Beach area is to contact Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in hopes that maybe I could find a student with the knowledge and skills to assist me.

thank you both for your suggestions, I’ll post my results when I have something to update.

What I find these days that no one wants to do custom work anymore. I use to use PVP Communications in Torrance, CA for a lot of work in thd past. They specialize in Motocycle headsets interconnecting the helmet to the M/C and portable radio and they won't do anymore custom work for me because they are having a hard time finding workers with the right skills so they are only doing production work now.

A lot of the radio communications specialty shops that I use to do business with are no longer in business because the owners have retired or passed on.

One thought is checking with Racing Electronics and/or Racing Radios in see if they are still willing to do custom work. These two companies specialize in the NASCAR world and they use to do some custom audio work for me many years ago.