Best GMRS handheld

WRUY804

Fortune cookie says: The fully charged radio you carry when you need it is better than any other radios !!! 🤔

Not to sound too crazy but think of your priorities:

• Certain features (dust or water rating, NOAA, ...)
  • $$$ - staring low might not be a bad idea.
  • Ease of (repeater) programming (front panel, computer, BT, ...)
  • Coolness factor (it's all about the wrist strap 🙄)

At the end of all listings and consideration - just jump into your first HT

AND

Upgrade the antenna!!! (longer is better - tuned is best)

Often, the gain from the better antenna exceeds the performance difference between the different "middle of the road" road.

Jump in and have fun !!!

40 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

Fortune cookie says: The fully charged radio you carry when you need it is better than any other radios !!! 🤔

Not to sound too crazy but think of your priorities:

• Certain features (dust or water rating, NOAA, ...)
  • $$$ - staring low might not be a bad idea.
  • Ease of (repeater) programming (front panel, computer, BT, ...)
  • Coolness factor (it's all about the wrist strap 🙄)

At the end of all listings and consideration - just jump into your first HT

AND

Upgrade the antenna!!! (longer is better - tuned is best)

Often, the gain from the better antenna exceeds the performance difference between the different "middle of the road" road.

Jump in and have fun !!!

I agree jump in and get one, then another. The best radio is the one that’s in the mail and on it’s way 😂

4 hours ago, WRUY804 said:

Looking for suggestions on the best all around HANDHELD GMRS radio...

The right question is what is the best GMRS radio value for the money spent. Several of us could recommend a top class GMRS radio but you likely would faint when you see the prices, like in the 4 figure range.

I started with the Baofeng UV-9G, which is good for the price.  Then I went to the Wouxun KG-935G Plus, and that changed everything.  Now I am addicted to Wouxun (my HAM HT is a Wouxun KG-UV9D Mate).  You have to decide if waterproof is a goal and/or signal clarity and/or features, etc.  It is a quite a rabbit hole to go down.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:22 AM, back4more70 said:

my HAM HT is a Wouxun KG-UV9D Mate

It is a quite a rabbit hole to go down.

😲 ORANGE ?!?

I want one !!!

What Rabit Hole ? 😇

On 7/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, WRUU653 said:

We’ll best is something that many may have different criteria for but as for favorite I’ll say my Wouxun KG-935G Plus

Yeah... "best" is the radio that does what the user wants it to do, without getting in the way of achieving that.

While the KG-935 seems to be one of the better models out there (at least by density -- it feels solid in the hand), in one respect I think my favorite is still my first GMRS radio -- even though it's been in storage for years but for an annual battery charge cycle.

The Maxon GMRS 210+3. Used the Icom IC-02AT form factor (and batteries; Maxon also made the RatShack HT-202 which was an essential clone of the IC-02AT).

This radio is from back in the day when one selected just TWO of the 8 main frequencies (and corresponding repeater inputs) when applying for a license. Those became the only main frequencies one could use for general conversion (the, at the time, FCC designated emergency frequency could be used by anyone for emergencies, but since most radios only supported [A/B] "channel" select, unless you had the emergency frequency on your license you didn't have access to it).

The GMRS 210+3 had 10 channel slots: 1-7 permanently set simplex with the fairly recently created interstitials. 8 was the FCC emergency frequency. 9-10 were to be programmed by the dealer in accordance with the frequencies on one's license. Granted, they included the programming guide in the package so I broke regulations by taking the back cover off: programming consisted of pressing a small button to activate #9, dialing in the frequency, pressing the button to activate #10, dialing in the second frequency, and I think pressing the button to lock the settings [or some such sequence].

The +3 likely was meant to refer to the fact that 8-10 could be toggled from simplex to repeater and back via a front panel button.

• 1 month later...

Another vote for the KG-935G plus I have three of them. Solid radio that takes advantage of pretty much all that GMRS has to offer. Makes a great mobile also with a good mag mount antenna and a holder of some kind and a speaker mic. I have a KG-1000 plus for a base station radio and have not felt the need to replace KG-935G in the truck or the wife's van. Seems to have a bit more power than most other HT's as well. The stock antenna is hard to beat. I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade it.

They are available at "Buy Two Way Radios" they helped design the feature set. They are a sponsor on this site. Wouxun makes several other models and as far as I can tell they are all of very good quality. The KG-935G plus just has the most features. It will keep up with you as you grow into GMRS.