BetterSafe UV9PX issues

WRUE951

Question

Anyone having problems with the BetterSafe UV9PX trying to read and save the radio programed frequencies either with CHIRP (latest) or the Wouxun Program?  When i try to download the radios program frequencies the download showed only 30 Ham Channels on the first try and next attempt showed only the GMRS frequencies..  This happens on both the Red cable and a Baofeng cable and on Windows 10 and an Apple IOS Laptop.   Mark with Better Safe asked me to send him the .csv files yesterday, which i did and he is now un-responsive..  He is not answering my emails... Im really not happy with this radio right now and will more then likely send it back for a refund which leads me to my next question...  Anyone have problems with Bettersafe refunding bad radios?  

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

Not a problem I have seen. You could try to just load them in yourself if you’re so inclined. 

The radio see’s all the programmed SHTF freqs but Chirp or the Wouxun program is not.  Therefor I’m unable to create the backup .csv file.  The UV9GX I got  is working as it should.   Also notice the PX radio freqs jump all over the place when I do manual up or down scan.   Defiantly something flaky with this radio 

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Dude - give him some time.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Dude - give him some time.

I think I was asking if anyone experienced these issues?  And yea, I don’t have any choice but to give them time to get back to me in some way or form,    I guess I’m just used to BuyTwoWay’s very quick responses.,,   In the meantime, I’m not having a good experience with this radio.  

10 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

I think I was asking if anyone experienced these issues?  And yea, I don’t have any choice but to give them time to get back to me in some way or form,    I guess I’m just used to BuyTwoWay’s very quick responses.,,   In the meantime, I’m not having a good experience with this radio.  

I’ll preface this with I am not an expert on this radio. It seems odd that this problem is with two different cables, two different programs and two different computers. Odds are pointing to the radio. Short of waiting for a response from Mark and sending it back I would try doing a reset and reinstalling the csv file but that’s just based on me putting myself in your shoes and knowing that I’d want to try and get it to work before sending it back. In any event let us know how it goes. 

40 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I’ll preface this with I am not an expert on this radio. It seems odd that this problem is with two different cables, two different programs and two different computers. Odds are pointing to the radio. Short of waiting for a response from Mark and sending it back I would try doing a reset and reinstalling the csv file but that’s just based on me putting myself in your shoes and knowing that I’d want to try and get it to work before sending it back. In any event let us know how it goes. 

I dont have a .csv backup, i can't make one..  do you know if i can download that off their site? I can't find it. BTW - Mark did get back but he seems more interested in being argumentative then reading my emails detailing the problems im having and the solutions i have tried..  He is blaming the cable or Chrip but totally ignored the facts i pointed to him.  I tried two different cables (the Red cable i got from them),and a Baofent cable i already had.  I tried two different Softwares, Chirp and the Wouxun, and i tried on two different operating platforms Windows 10 and Mac IOS - all with the same exact results..  While the KG-UV9GX i got at the same time is working fine on all above..  It all points to the radio but rather than go through any more hassles i will return it..   Thanks for responding    

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

I dont have a .csv backup, i can't make one..  do you know if i can download that off their site? I can't find it. BTW - Mark did get back but he seems more interested in being argumentative then reading my emails detailing the problems im having and the solutions i have tried..  He is blaming the cable or Chrip but totally ignored the facts i pointed to him.  I tried two different cables (the Red cable i got from them),and a Baofent cable i already had.  I tried two different Softwares, Chirp and the Wouxun, and i tried on two different operating platforms Windows 10 and Mac IOS - all with the same exact results..  While the KG-UV9GX i got at the same time is working fine on all above..  It all points to the radio but rather than go through any more hassles i will return it..   Thanks for responding    

In my above post I linked a post where @WRXE944 made a .csv file from their scanner list posted on their website. Last thing I can think of to check off the list is if you have had luck with these cables with other radios. 

3 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

In my above post I linked a post where @WRXE944 made a .csv file from their scanner list posted on their website. Last thing I can think of to check off the list is if you have had luck with these cables with other radios. 

Yup - trying other radios with the same cables would be line item #6..  i did and the cables work with other radios..   Rather than mess with it any further i'm going to return and try the KG-UV9D or the KG-Q10H..  Any recommendations on either radio?  

4 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I didn't want to try a reset or anything with the radio because i intended to send it back but after Mark returned an email threatening a restocking fee i figured nothing else to loose.  I download the .csv file you pointed me to, even though it is not directed from BSR, uploaded and BOOM. Both programs are now seeing all frequencies programmed in the radio...  Thank-you very much for your help....   

It's amazing how things can work out when you have the patience to listen to those that are trying to help you.

For the record, no, I did not "threaten" anyone with a restocking fee - they asked what my return policy was and I offered it - I don't run a radio rental service and when someone is unwilling to go through the most basic troubleshooting, especially on a problem that I've solved for several others in the past, and they can't wait even a day for a response (to an email sent after-hours) before they demand a return (because they know they are right and I'm wrong) then it's nearly impossible to satisfy them. So bet it.

13 hours ago, BSRMark said:

It's amazing how things can work out when you have the patience to listen to those that are trying to help you.

For the record, no, I did not "threaten" anyone with a restocking fee - they asked what my return policy was and I offered it - I don't run a radio rental service and when someone is unwilling to go through the most basic troubleshooting, especially on a problem that I've solved for several others in the past, and they can't wait even a day for a response (to an email sent after-hours) before they demand a return (because they know they are right and I'm wrong) then it's nearly impossible to satisfy them. So bet it.

Well BSR Mark,,  I grade the experience with you an 'F'.....  your quote  "a restocking fee will apply and will also be based on the condition of the gear and the original packaging materials" Why the 'F' Mark?, because you spent all your time  communicating with me by accusing  the software or my computer as my  issues.  It became obvious to me you weren't reading my emails explaining that i tried two different cables two different operating systems, other radios were working fine on both scenarios.  etc.. In the 4 email exchange i had with you,, never once did you suggest what WRUE951 suggested and what worked for me... My return request was purely due to frustration and your attitude which is prevailing here..   The radio is working now thanks to WRUE951 and as i told you on my last email telling you 'don't worry about the return, help from MYGMRS solved the problem'    As far as future business with BSR...  NOT FROM ME.....  terrible terrible expericd...  Next time, instead of spending time exchanging emils arguing with the customer,,, try helping them with real solutions and read the emails the customers are sending you....    

Well Kirk, since you insist in casting falsehoods and trying to tarnish my reputation, here's what actually happened

You emailed me, vaguely explained the problem, and asked for help.

I replied that afternoon (even though it was my daughter's birthday), suggested a few initial guesses as to what might be going on, and explained that while I don't officially support CHIRP, I would be happy to look at your IMG file and see if I could figure out what was going on. There was absolutely no "accusing" of anything or anyone. We hadn't even started to diagnose the issue yet.

You emailed your CHIRP images about 27 hours later.

You emailed the store about 24 hours later trying to do an end-run on me by claiming that I was unresponsive, and asking how to return the radio, claiming that the radio was buggy.

I replied 16 minutes later to reiterate that I was happy to try and help you solve the problem, and that CHIRP works fine with the PX, but that it sometimes requires a little patience on some systems, but that I wasn't aware of anyone that couldn't get it running. I also explained that I would look at your files on the weekend, as I was backed up on support issues, so you knew when to expect a response.

You replied 2 hours later and said you just wanted to send it back for a refund because "there is so thing flaky with it [the radio]."

I replied 2 hours later (after hours) and reiterated again that nobody that I know of hasn't been able to get the PX working with CHIRP, in case you wanted to change your mind overnight, but that I would generate your RMA return in the morning. I also informed you at that time that because you were refusing to troubleshoot the radio with me, that the return would be subject to my 30-day return policy, which will include a restocking fee. It was not a threat, it was a preview of the return terms I would have sent you with the RMA # in the morning, in case you wanted to take your chance with actually keeping the radio (since I know it was most likely not a faulty radio).

You replied early the next morning and told me that you already tried and did everything right, and that your UV9GX worked, so you just wanted to return the radio instead of "going through any more hassles."

You emailed yet again and gave me more reasons why you were right (keep in mind that we hadn't started any troubleshooting yet), and said you shouldn't have to pay any restocking fee or even the return shipping fee, even though you refused to do any troubleshooting with me, and that you would be sure to share your experience "on the forums," obviously as a veiled threat to do exactly what you're attempting to do here by distorting reality. You then told me about how another dealer sent you a new radio to replace a bad one. Funny, that's what I do when someone gets a bad radio also. You didn't.

Finally, you emailed me a few hours later and said you solved the problem with the help of the nice people here in this forum, and not to bother with the return. I promptly filed away your email messages, unsubscribed you from email list, and blocked you from my site.

There was no arguing from my side - it was mostly just you telling me how right you were, and being impatient, and then discovering all your assumptions were wrong all along, and then blaming me for everything unfair in the world.

I rest my case, but thanks for the grade, teacher.

14 minutes ago, BSRMark said:

Well Kirk, since you insist in casting falsehoods and trying to tarnish my reputation, here's what actually happened

You emailed me, vaguely explained the problem, and asked for help.

I replied that afternoon (even though it was my daughter's birthday), suggested a few initial guesses as to what might be going on, and explained that while I don't officially support CHIRP, I would be happy to look at your IMG file and see if I could figure out what was going on. There was absolutely no "accusing" of anything or anyone. We hadn't even started to diagnose the issue yet.

You emailed your CHIRP images about 27 hours later.

You emailed the store about 24 hours later trying to do an end-run on me by claiming that I was unresponsive, and asking how to return the radio, claiming that the radio was buggy.

I replied 16 minutes later to reiterate that I was happy to try and help you solve the problem, and that CHIRP works fine with the PX, but that it sometimes requires a little patience on some systems, but that I wasn't aware of anyone that couldn't get it running. I also explained that I would look at your files on the weekend, as I was backed up on support issues, so you knew when to expect a response.

You replied 2 hours later and said you just wanted to send it back for a refund because "there is so thing flaky with it [the radio]."

I replied 2 hours later (after hours) and reiterated again that nobody that I know of hasn't been able to get the PX working with CHIRP, in case you wanted to change your mind overnight, but that I would generate your RMA return in the morning. I also informed you at that time that because you were refusing to troubleshoot the radio with me, that the return would be subject to my 30-day return policy, which will include a restocking fee. It was not a threat, it was a preview of the return terms I would have sent you with the RMA # in the morning, in case you wanted to take your chance with actually keeping the radio (since I know it was most likely not a faulty radio).

You replied early the next morning and told me that you already tried and did everything right, and that your UV9GX worked, so you just wanted to return the radio instead of "going through any more hassles."

You emailed yet again and gave me more reasons why you were right (keep in mind that we hadn't started any troubleshooting yet), and said you shouldn't have to pay any restocking fee or even the return shipping fee, even though you refused to do any troubleshooting with me, and that you would be sure to share your experience "on the forums," obviously as a veiled threat to do exactly what you're attempting to do here by distorting reality. You then told me about how another dealer sent you a new radio to replace a bad one. Funny, that's what I do when someone gets a bad radio also. You didn't.

Finally, you emailed me a few hours later and said you solved the problem with the help of the nice people here in this forum, and not to bother with the return. I promptly filed away your email messages, unsubscribed you from email list, and blocked you from my site.

There was no arguing from my side - it was mostly just you telling me how right you were, and being impatient, and then discovering all your assumptions were wrong all along, and then blaming me for everything unfair in the world.

I rest my case, but thanks for the grade, teacher.

TL;dr: Kirk is both a liar AND a moron.

For many of us this was obvious from the very start, but now that we've heard BOTH sides, there is no more doubt.

22 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

TL;dr: Kirk is both a liar AND a moron.

For many of us this was obvious from the very start, but now that we've heard BOTH sides, there is no more doubt.

I wasn't going to use those terms as I thought the guy might be genuinely special needs, but I rarely see anyone go so out of their way to be unsatisfied.

This is definitely a "some people" poster child candidate. ;)

22 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Mark: this thread caused me to go to your website and read through much of what you offer.

Now I realize you sell a file that contains a csv version of your SHTF radio frequency listings.

On another thread, I had posted a csv file that I compiled from your SHTF listings.

Even though they are not covered by copyright, I will respect your work ethic in creating that list and compiling that listing and I will not interfere with your ability to gain some income from your good efforts.

I have deleted my post in that other thread.

Thank you sir! While my original code plugs are technically copyrighted, I know that people share them, and in this case, since you were just trying to help someone convert the publicly published PDF into a CSV to help him out, I wasn't at all rubbed in the wrong way, so to speak. ;) So no worries at all, but I certainly appreciate the acknowledgment and the action you took.

I am actually in the process of creating automated digital products for my SHTF codeplugs, which will be pre-formatted for a host of radios (not just my own co-designed Wouxun models), and at a low enough price point that people won't need to bother trying to pirate them. It will be basically just enough to cover my time to keep them updated and manage the orders/accounting on the back-end. Hopefully that will help everyone involved. :)