New to GMRS - neighborhood watch

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the GMRS community and using a HT TIDRADIO GM-5R, so nothing big yet. 
Just wanted to reach out as I was hoping in the Denver/Aurora-border area in CO are some
GMRS users whom I can connect to. 
I was hoping also to maybe create a GMRS radio community watch in order to maybe
be aware of some suspicious activities in the area. 
I know, there is also NEXTDOOR, but until you get a notification, it might be already too late.

Let me know, if there is someone nearby. As mentioned, I have only the HT and would only 
go and install a base station, if really necessary. 

I was using CB radio long time ago, but wanted to join the GMRS-community as you are
just more serious and also more professional, due to the license and the quite low amount
of available channels. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

That is a good idea. If there aren't a lot of GMRS users in you area you can start with you closest neighbors. I did an FCC search for licensed GMRS people in my area and found one in my neighborhood. I purchased a cheap GMRS radio for my well-neighbor's birthday this month. He saw me using mine during a snow storm multiple day power outage earlier this year. I have talked to several other people in our area about getting radio, even a simple FRS radio to begin with. From there we'll try to encourage folks to turn them on when the power goes out (like it did last night), during bad weather, wild fires in the area etc. It seems the biggest hurdle is to get non-radio nerds to see the value of having a non-cell phone method of communication. Good luck and have fun.

20 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

That is a good idea. If there aren't a lot of GMRS users in you area you can start with you closest neighbors. I did an FCC search for licensed GMRS people in my area and found one in my neighborhood. I purchased a cheap GMRS radio for my well-neighbor's birthday this month. He saw me using mine during a snow storm multiple day power outage earlier this year. I have talked to several other people in our area about getting radio, even a simple FRS radio to begin with. From there we'll try to encourage folks to turn them on when the power goes out (like it did last night), during bad weather, wild fires in the area etc. It seems the biggest hurdle is to get non-radio nerds to see the value of having a non-cell phone method of communication. Good luck and have fun.

@WRHS218 Thank you for the information. It seems like, I am in the same situation as it seems like there is nobody around me. 
The FCC website allows me to search for people with ZA (GMRS) license and I have found at least 30 with their addresses even posted. 
But I cannot reach out to them. I was hoping, that posting it on this platform would make it easy for them to reach out and respond to me 
in order to create a community where we could utilize the license to our benefit. 
I don't know how far my device can reach, as I am in the basement of our house. But it should reach at least 1 mile, which would be more than enough
in diameter to create a chain of people to contact in case of an emergency. 

1 minute ago, WRXY704 said:

@WRHS218 Thank you for the information. It seems like, I am in the same situation as it seems like there is nobody around me. 
The FCC website allows me to search for people with ZA (GMRS) license and I have found at least 30 with their addresses even posted. 
But I cannot reach out to them. I was hoping, that posting it on this platform would make it easy for them to reach out and respond to me 
in order to create a community where we could utilize the license to our benefit. 
I don't know how far my device can reach, as I am in the basement of our house. But it should reach at least 1 mile, which would be more than enough

A mile from a basement seems optimistic. 

My recommendation is to try and start a neighborhood watch program first before coming at your neighbors with an idea for radio communications.  They might have just bought their GMRS radios in order to talk while out recreating or traveling. 

11 minutes ago, WRXY704 said:

I did a search awhile back for folks with GMRS licenses near me and found around 20 licensed GMRS users around me but have only ever heard one on the air in six months. If I google licensed user addresses and look at street view almost all of them have some serious 4WD trucks, Jeeps and no base antenna. My guess would be a lot of licensed GMRS users are not really enthusiasts but use GMRS for their 4WD adventures.

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

Don't presume that because someone near you has a license, that they are active.  I have GMRS and HAM General licenses, and I hardly ever turn my radios on😀

Also, sometimes having someone appear after looking folks up on a government database can creep people out. It’s a delicate situation. 🤔

8 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Also, sometimes having someone appear after looking folks up on a government database can creep people out. It’s a delicate situation. 🤔

That's the reason why I took this route over reaching out over the forum.

I would NEVER use the option of using the database. I only used it to find out IF and how many licensed users are in my area. 

Just to have a rough idea, if there is anyone out there who has maybe a GMRS radio.

4 minutes ago, WRXY704 said:

I would NEVER use the option of using the database. I only used it to find out IF and how many licensed users are in my area. 

Just to have a rough idea, if there is anyone out there who has maybe a GMRS radio.

Did you look to see what GMRS repeaters are in your area?  There are several in Colorado.  That might lead to a GMRS club, which would be a pretty good way to find folks who are interested in talking to others about GMRS.

12 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Did you look to see what GMRS repeaters are in your area?  There are several in Colorado.  That might lead to a GMRS club, which would be a pretty good way to find folks who are interested in talking to others about GMRS.

As I am new to the GMRS community I might be still thinking differently than others. 

The most important question (what I can see on the internet) is 'How to connect to repeaters'. I get it, but, and I am open to learn, I am still looking for a usage within range. Our community isn't bonded, so I still hoping that something different than using the internet might be interesting.

I am also thinking about the regularity.

Maybe I can get retired people in the area to stay connected and in case of helping each other. 

I'm just thinking out loud...

20 hours ago, WRXY704 said:

Just for grins I ran the stats for my zip code through the FCC database.

Population for my zip: 29,629

GMRS active licenses: 23 (including me)

Amateur Radio active licenses (all classes): 92 (including me)

Hopefully the stats are better in your area. 

On 7/24/2023 at 7:47 AM, WRHS218 said:

Just as a side note: I did not use the FCC database so I could contact people regarding radio stuff, or anything else. That would be an unwelcome faux pas in most cases.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, WRXY704 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the GMRS community and using a HT TIDRADIO GM-5R, so nothing big yet. 
Just wanted to reach out as I was hoping in the Denver/Aurora-border area in CO are some
GMRS users whom I can connect to. 
I was hoping also to maybe create a GMRS radio community watch in order to maybe
be aware of some suspicious activities in the area. 
I know, there is also NEXTDOOR, but until you get a notification, it might be already too late.

Let me know, if there is someone nearby. As mentioned, I have only the HT and would only 
go and install a base station, if really necessary. 

I was using CB radio long time ago, but wanted to join the GMRS-community as you are
just more serious and also more professional, due to the license and the quite low amount
of available channels. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

I may get slack from others on the forum, but we all right to disagree about anything, Especially, when it comes to using radios different radio services. We all agree those of us that are also licensed Amateur Radio Operators that a Radio meant for part 97 should not be modified for any other radio services. Many of us including myself have had Amateur Radios modified for use on GMRS.  You'll notice another forum on using new old stock or used part 90 radios GMRS. I myself do use part 90 radios for GMRS, but up to 2010 - 2017 things really got confusing, the majority of GMRS Repeater Systems that been using FCC Part 90 Equipment for Decades real. Yes, I agree one should stay within confines of FCC Part 95 E. However, I wouldn't necessarily stay away from Part 90 radios, because a lot of them do have clean clear audio on the GMRS band. I steer away from channels 08 through 14, due to power output.