Anytone AT-779UV

WRYF792

I just picked up an anytone at779uv today, and I tried doing what the internet says about going to the menu upon startup with the VM button to select GMRS, however, whenever I try to transmit in a GMRS frequency, it won't allow me to. Any frequency except for a GMRS frequency works though. Do I need to set it up to work on a computer or is there something I'm just failing to understand in this radio?

Nope, you to change the mode with the 3 finger salute (sorry don't remember the buttons).

There are different modes for the different markets the radio is sold in. Crap can't even remeber what the mode was. Mine is set to allow 2m/70cm (ham bands) and gmrs band. One mode unlocks 144-147MHz and 400-490 MHz.

But if you bought the g version it should be sent to gmrs. If not then it is probably set to the ham bands.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'm going from memory, so take that for what it is worth, but I think you turn the radio off, press and hold the V/M button while turning the radio back on. That should take you to a menu. Make your selection and then turn the radio off. Next time you turn it on you should be in the band you selected. I think when you do this you lose any changes you had made. I don't know for which bands this radio is certified, so keep that in mind as well.

17 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

I'm going from memory, so take that for what it is worth, but I think you turn the radio off, press and hold the V/M button while turning the radio back on. That should take you to a menu. Make your selection and then turn the radio off. Next time you turn it on you should be in the band you selected. I think when you do this you lose any changes you had made. I don't know for which bands this radio is certified, so keep that in mind as well.

I saw something yesterday about somebody saying they make the GMRS-only version, but I don't see that anywhere. However, your memory is correct, that is all there is too it

You can also do this with their proprietary programming software.  Connect the DB20 (G or UV) to your computer, open the software, read from the radio. In the software's menu, click on "Model", and then "Model Information".  It'll let you choose which mode you want to use the transceiver in.  As stated earlier in the thread, each time you change modes (Frequencys) it will wipe all programming and memory channels, so back up your data first.

image.png.0f6ef96428d5bb2b086e140bb6bf6eb5.png

I just wanted to post an update to anybody who is either wondering what ended up happening with me or for anybody out there who may be having the same issues I had.

After doing a little more reading online and in this community, I came across a post talking about how sometimes this radio is shipped set for HAM only, which obviously is an issue when you're trying to buy a GMRS radio.

Somebody in another thread had linked to an article about flashing the software to update it to be GMRS ONLY. Below is a link to the post which helped me out. I set this up last night and played around with the radio last night and on my way in to work this morning, and have had nothing but good luck having it work for GMRS since! I've gotten local repeaters programmed and am loving this simple small radio thus far!

On 8/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

You can also do this with their proprietary programming software.  Connect the DB20 (G or UV) to your computer, open the software, read from the radio. In the software's menu, click on "Model", and then "Model Information".  It'll let you choose which mode you want to use the transceiver in.  As stated earlier in the thread, each time you change modes (Frequencys) it will wipe all programming and memory channels, so back up your data first.

image.png.0f6ef96428d5bb2b086e140bb6bf6eb5.png

This didn't help my issue, I tried it last night and it was the same as using he "V/M" button on the radio, still locked me out of GMRS. I came across somebody who has also had this issue in the past, which provided instructions from AnyTone that did help solve the issue I had.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 2:13 PM, WRYF792 said:

I just picked up an anytone at779uv today, and I tried doing what the internet says about going to the menu upon startup with the VM button to select GMRS, however, whenever I try to transmit in a GMRS frequency, it won't allow me to. Any frequency except for a GMRS frequency works though. Do I need to set it up to work on a computer or is there something I'm just failing to understand in this radio?

It has been advised to me from an Anytone technician that there are many Anytone versions of the AT-779UV. Use CPS version 2.01 and change the radio service in the CPS and then save first file. Then restart radio and read from the radio into CPS. It should give you all common GMRS channels. My Version of radio from Let's Get Ready did not have GMRS option in start-up. I had to change it in CPS 2.01.  Remember every time the format is changed in radio all memory will be erased. So Using as a ham or part 90 commercial radio or GMRS Part95e, make sure to read from radio and save file i.e. "Ham radio 9/6/23" or GMRS radio 9/6/23" Alwayts date and save you last updated files in a folder so you can go back to older files if necessary. 

RJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I somehow got my 779uv stuck in channel mode. When I press V/M I just hear a denial beep. I know I did something wrong in the menu. I can't factory restore because I misplaced my cable. Does anyone have a solution? 

9 hours ago, WRXY719 said:

I somehow got my 779uv stuck in channel mode. When I press V/M I just hear a denial beep. I know I did something wrong in the menu. I can't factory restore because I misplaced my cable. Does anyone have a solution? 

As I recall that has to do with Menu 29: DSPCHANNEL being set to CH, instead of either FREQ or NAME.

Push the FUN button to enter the Menu Mode and use the V/M button as UP and MAIN button as DOWN to go to Menu: 29.

When you are at Menu: 29, use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to go through the 3 different selections (CH, FREQ and NAME) and pick either FREQ or NAME as you desire and then Push the FUN button to exit out of Menu Mode.

V/M should now toggle between VFO and Memory (Channel) modes now.