Cell phone service is down in Maui, Hawaii

pcradio

Looks bad in Hawaii right now. Quote from the news link.

Thousands of people in Maui are without cell service as the wildfires continue to rage out of control on the island, preventing people from calling emergency services or updating loved ones about their status. It could take days or even weeks to get the networks back up and running. "911 is down. Cell service is down. Phone service is down," Hawaii Lt. Gov. Sylvia Luke told CNN on Wednesday morning.

I don't know if hams could help, but personal radios with friends could at least coordinate with each other. Good reason to always have your radio mars/cap modded. Another news link.

19 minutes ago, pcradio said:

Looks bad in Hawaii right now. Quote from the news link.

I don't know if hams could help, but personal radios with friends could at least coordinate with each other. Good reason to always have your radio mars/cap modded. Another news link.

Please explain how having their radios MARS/CAP modded is necessary to coordinate with friends with personal radios.

15 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Please explain how having their radios MARS/CAP modded is necessary to coordinate with friends with personal radios.

Don't want to detract from the real story which is, "have a radio". Just pointing out that if you're a ham, you won't be able to help regular folks with radios. Hams are rare. Most people have FRS radios.

18 minutes ago, pcradio said:

Don't want to detract from the real story which is, "have a radio". Just pointing out that if you're a ham, you won't be able to help regular folks with radios. Hams are rare. Most people have FRS radios.

if you're a ham, you won't be able to help regular folks with radios.

Apparently you assume that hams don’t have FRS or better yet GMRS radios, like “regular folks”.

11 minutes ago, pcradio said:

Back on topic ... anyone here have HF and can hear any transmissions out of the area?

I’m listening to the California Hawaii Pacific net on 14.340 MHz.  They’re just now doing check-ins.  The net controller is in Hawaii but hasn’t been talking about Maui, at least while I’ve been listening.

6 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I’m listening to the California Hawaii Pacific net on 14.340 MHz.  They’re just now doing check-ins.  The net controller is in Hawaii but hasn’t been talking about Maui, at least while I’ve been listening.

The net controller from Hawaii did come on and speak briefly about how Maui needs help, but he didn’t go into detail.  I was their last check-in.  

I think I’ll go see if there are Hawaii related DMR talk groups I can monitor.

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The net controller from Hawaii did come on and speak briefly about how Maui needs help, but he didn’t go into detail.  I was their last check-in. I think I’ll go see if there are Hawaii related DMR talk groups I can monitor.

Wow, that's awesome. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, pcradio said:

Wow, that's awesome. Thank you.

If you’re a ham and want to listen, but don’t have a DMR radio you can register with RadioID to get a Brandmeister ID and then log into Brandmeister and listen to any talk group using the Hoseline feature.

This is a link to a document on the Hawaii Emergency Amateur Radio site:

Maui HAM RADIO - Updates

This file: https://bit.ly/HAM-UPDATE - Send updated to KH6ML808@gmail.com 

https://bit.ly/Maui-ICS-205-HAM - Updated by KH6ML and KH6UU 

Suggest you download and print - Load into the radio. 

Radio Bulletins RE:  Maui Wildfires have affected phones, internet, and cell services across Maui.

No contact was established with Lahaina or its ham operators due to burned fiber lines and VERY limited hams in the area.

KH6COM Linked Repeater Update As of 9:15 am, operational in Kula, Maui (NH6Y & KH6UU)

Maui Winlink Status:

Stations are operational but some face internet disruptions.

Can still function as digipeaters.

HF Stations are suggested to monitor 7.088 LSB. Your participation is crucial during this time. SEE 40meter.net  Informal Nets held at 9am, Noon and 4pm. 

12:19pm 8/9/23 checked AREDN microwave link Waialae Iki to Haleakala PtP link operational LQ 100% both directions. Microwave to internet crossover on Oahu is Kaimuki one hop from Waialae Iki. Received AREDN call little while later from Mitch advising the KH6MP-3 gateway on 145.09 available and reachable from West Maui and Upcountr and/or Digipeat WH6FVX in Kula.

Normal Weekly HF ARES Net on Wednesday night 18:30 on 7.088 LSB

DMR-Hawaii-  Lost Kula and West Maui repeaters. 
Wailuku is still up on 444.9500 + CC3

Mauna Kea Repeater at the top of Big Island  is on the air for EMCOMM purposes, 146.720, Negative Offset, - pl100.0  FM (4:33 PM 8/9/2023

Haleakala Digipeater Protocol:

Should KH6COM-10 encounter connectivity problems, it will continue as a Digipeater.

KH6ML and digipeat via KH6COM-10 on 441.000.

Change to 441.000 KH6ML Winlink Gateway to service Maui -Station: KH6ML: 441.000 VARA FM Kaneohe, Oahu

Note: Please limit testing to affected areas.

Hawaii Allstar Repeaters on-line on Maui County:

Maui

WH6AV - Wailuku       443.025 (+) PL 103.5 Repeater

WH6CYD - Pukalani   147.000 (+) PL 88.5 Repeater

WH6YF - Lahaina        147.540 PL 100 Simplex (Offline) Fire related

WH6FQM - Lahaina   444.800 (+) PL 88.5 Repeater (Offline) Fire related

WH6FGS - Wailuku   442.525 (+) PL 100 Repeater

WH6FEO - Wailuku   446.175 PL 100 Simplex

AH6MA – Napili            147.495 PL 100 Simplex (Offline)

WH6FGX – Waiau         147.510 PL 100 Simplex (Offline)

Molokai

WH6IT – Ho’olehua 147.420 PL 100 Simplex (Offline)

WH6IT – Kaunakakai 145.370 (-) PL 88.5 Repeater

Lanai

KH6CED - Lanai City 147.435 PL 100 Simplex (Offline)

WH6DNN – Lanai City 147.510 PL 100 Simplex (Offline)

Please stay vigilant and safe. We extend our gratitude for your amateur radio service.

8/9/2023 10:00am LOCAL AND Visitors that are displaced and do not have accommodations on Oahu can go to Hawaii Convention Center.

Maui wildfires 8/9/2023 Noon 

Impacted areas are approximate and provided for informational purposes only. Check official sources for more information.

Help & information

Shelter information and family reunification hotline

American Red Cross 800-733-2767

Please text for emergencies - Maui 911 back up 2-911

Maui County Emergency Management Agency twitter.com/Maui_EMA

Traffic updates on TwitterHawaii Twitter.com/DOTHawaii

Situation updates on Twitter County of Maui twitter.com/CountyofMaui

16 hours ago, Sshannon said:

HF Stations are suggested to monitor 7.088 LSB. Your participation is crucial during this time. SEE 40meter.net  Informal Nets held at 9am, Noon and 4pm. 

I don't remember reading about this portion of the 40m band last time I went through Part 97. In relation to Voice & Image privileges for 7.075 thru 7.100, read 97.305(c) with footnote 97.307(f)(11), and then 97.301(e). Hawaii, and likely part of Alaska, technicians get 40 meter privileges within the CW portion of the band. 

I likely glossed over this previously as it doesn't relate to me. I may still turn the radio on to see if I can hear them, though I would not be permitted to respond.

1 minute ago, tweiss3 said:

I don't remember reading about this portion of the 40m band last time I went through Part 97. In relation to Voice & Image privileges for 7.075 thru 7.100, read 97.305(c) with footnote 97.307(f)(11), and then 97.301(e). Hawaii, and likely part of Alaska, technicians get 40 meter privileges within the CW portion of the band. 

I likely glossed over this previously as it doesn't relate to me. I may still turn the radio on to see if I can hear them, though I would not be permitted to respond.

I set it to one of my Quick Memory Banks but so far have heard nothing.  

I agree that I would never transmit on that frequency.  They have enough going on without some numbnuts trying to “help” without being part of the coordinated effort.

thanks all for the information. 

friend of friend said they had fire on west side and all got together to put that out. now that is coordination. FYI they are some what heavy into CB on the islands. at least some. have got bounce from there time to time. 

hope all and family are ok. I love that island and the people have always been super cool to meh.