Radioddity GM-30 can't transmit outside of simplex?

WRYF792

If somebody could delete this, that would be great. I believe I've fixed this.

I'm trying to set up a local repeater on my new GM-30, but I'm not having any luck being able to transmit on it. I've tried looking at everything in the Radioddity software, and I'm certain I've got everything correct, but it's just not working at all. It appears as if I have the latest firmware, and it just does not want to work. Does anybody have any knowledge of this radio or insight on the issue? I've tried swapping the TX & RX tones, with no luck, I've tried changing the squelch, and no issues at all. I did notice that I cannot change the step in the settings on the radio or in the software though, not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

Edited by WRYF792

12 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Rather than deleting it, why not tell us how you solved it so others benefit also?

I didn’t think of that! There was actually no issue with the radio at all. I had a UV-5R that was set to the repeater channel to see if I could hear anything from my GM-30. I know, this is frowned upon. But I’ve got limited resources for testing and only use the UV-5R to listen for my radio. Turns out the UV-5R was unsurprisingly unable to receive from the GMRS repeater. I could not set the tones on it. I ended up transmitting on my GM-30 asking for a quick radio check and instantly got a response. 

I’m still new in all this, so I come across small issues that are basically only issues due to my lack of knowledge or experience with the radios. 

Moral of the story is don’t use the wrong equipment to solve issues. 

3 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

I didn’t think of that! There was actually no issue with the radio at all. I had a UV-5R that was set to the repeater channel to see if I could hear anything from my GM-30. I know, this is frowned upon. But I’ve got limited resources for testing and only use the UV-5R to listen for my radio. Turns out the UV-5R was unsurprisingly unable to receive from the GMRS repeater. I could not set the tones on it. I ended up transmitting on my GM-30 asking for a quick radio check and instantly got a response. 

I’m still new in all this, so I come across small issues that are basically only issues due to my lack of knowledge or experience with the radios. 

Actually there’s nothing wrong with you transmitting to the repeater and listening on your UV5R. It’s totally within the rules and if anyone tells you otherwise they’re full of it. 
But transmitting on one radio and listening on another right next to it doesn’t always work because the receiving radio “desenses”, which means it is swamped by the stronger signal and fails to reproduce it. That’s especially true for inexpensive radios. 

9 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

You should be able to here from the repeater on your UV-5R, no tone needed to listen. It may be your radios are to close to eachother though. desensing can happen when radios are close to eachother causing one not to receive transmissions. Try moving them further apart like fifty feet or so.