Morse code ID

JamesBrox

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

@JamesBrox

The fact that you are hearing a transmission doesn’t mean it’s in the open. It may simply mean that you have no receive tone set on your radio. If that’s the case you will hear everything, whether it is sent using PL tones or not. 

Thank you sir. It's hard to wrap my head around. Just can't grasp why even have RX/TX PL tones on channels if someone can still hear you in the open? I mean if I have permission to use say a local RPT 18, with PL tones of RX=Output of 141.3 and a TX=Input of DN432. Nobody should be able to listen or talk w/o these tones.....very confusing.  Anyway, I'll chill....thanks to you and the mygmrs community for the patience.

3 hours ago, ULTRA2 said:

And when you try to tell them that they're using their radios illegally they come back at you with a snark comments. I actually told them I'm going to report them to the FCC and after I said that i never heard them on the channel again. So they actually know what they're doing is illegal

All of the GMRS frequencies (except for the repeater inputs) are shared with FRS, where business use is permitted.  

Family Radio Service (FRS). A short-distance two-way voice communication service, with limited data applications, between low power hand-held radios, for facilitating individual, family, group, recreational and business activities.

Actually, business use of GMRS is also allowed, but unless the business has a grandfathered license, every user needs their own individual license.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

Landscapers and construction crews use FRS quite often and that's not "illegal" at all.

1 hour ago, wrci350 said:

All of the GMRS frequencies (except for the repeater inputs) are shared with FRS, where business use is permitted.  

Family Radio Service (FRS). A short-distance two-way voice communication service, with limited data applications, between low power hand-held radios, for facilitating individual, family, group, recreational and business activities.

Actually, business use of GMRS is also allowed, but unless the business has a grandfathered license, every user needs their own individual license.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

Landscapers and construction crews use FRS quite often and that's not "illegal" at all.

no argument there,   but 99.9% of them are using radios over 2 watts (not the FRS bubble pack radio) and never use their call signs, more than likely because they dont have one. Per the rules for business use, radios over 2 watts, each radio operator using FRS/GMRS must be licensed and use their individual call sign.  Many of these guys, at least where i'm at, are using mobile radios and hitting a mobil repeater in the GMRS band.  And they will yack away using  every profane in the dictionary..  Don't get me wrong,, i support free speech but I think these guys should apply some respect for other users..    

1 hour ago, JamesBrox said:

Thank you sir. It's hard to wrap my head around. Just can't grasp why even have RX/TX PL tones on channels if someone can still hear you in the open? I mean if I have permission to use say a local RPT 18, with PL tones of RX=Output of 141.3 and a TX=Input of DN432. Nobody should be able to listen or talk w/o these tones.....very confusing.  Anyway, I'll chill....thanks to you and the mygmrs community for the patience.

The PL tones only reduce the probability of interruption. They were never designed to protect your transmissions. But the use of the word Privacy was misleading. 

@JamesBrox I like to think of tones as locks and keys. The TX set on your radio will unlock the repeater allowing you to open it. The repeater sends out a tone (a key if you will) that will unlocks the RX tone that you have on your radio and if you have a tone set for that RX that is the only thing that gets through. With no tones set on your radios TX you won’t open the repeater and you with no tone on your radios RX your receive is open to hear all. 

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

The PL tones only reduce the probability of interruption. They were never designed to protect your transmissions. But the use of the word Privacy was misleading. 

@Sshannon is absolutely correct here. There really isn’t such a thing as privacy in GMRS. 

4 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

Don't get me wrong,, i support free speech but I think these guys should apply some respect for other users..    

I support the right to free speech too, but if they are going to use the radios, they should use them legally. Half of the time they don't even check the if the frequency is in use, they just key up like they own the frequency. There are times when I do hear these conversations on the input side of the repeaters too, and no call signs ever given when they start and finish.

Edited by ULTRA2
Word added

4 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

no argument there,   but 99.9% of them are using radios over 2 watts (not the FRS bubble pack radio) and never use their call signs, more than likely because they dont have one. Per the rules for business use, radios over 2 watts, each radio operator using FRS/GMRS must be licensed and use their individual call sign.  Many of these guys, at least where i'm at, are using mobile radios and hitting a mobil repeater in the GMRS band.  And they will yack away using  every profane in the dictionary..  Don't get me wrong,, i support free speech but I think these guys should apply some respect for other users..    

[best Emily Litella voice]Oh!  Well that's DIFFERENT!

33 minutes ago, ULTRA2 said:

Half of the time they don't even check the if the frequency is in use, they just key up like they own the frequency. There are times when I do hear these conversations on the input side of the repeaters too, and no call signs ever given when they start and finish.

My God!  The horror! 
Let us know if you need any help or support getting through this.. Everyone knows how hard this type of traumatic experience can be for some people..

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

How many people do you know that use bubble pack radios for GMRS use, or even FRS use?  Be Honest with your answer.  

Probably a dozen. Nearly everyone I know who gets radios for their kids or themselves (but are not hams) goes to the nearest sporting goods store or Walmart and buys a pair of Midland or Motorola (or no-name) radios in the heat sealed blister pegboard packs.  There are four of us who graduated to Garmin for the GPS, which we buy at Cabelas.  

I probably have four of the bubble pack radios in my rocket trailer now that people have donated.  I have yet to see someone show up with a Wouxun, but I do see a few UV5R radios that folks order from Amazon.  I also see people buying blister packs at truck stops.  I would guess that those are the ones that end up on construction sites.

What is it you think we would be less than honest about?

5 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

How many people do you know that use bubble pack radios for GMRS use, or even FRS use?  Be Honest with your answer.  

I did for a while. To be honest with my answer, as you requested, which, by the way, I always am, I had a pair if Midland handhelds, GTX 1000s, I think. I found them to be junk. They went to Goodwill. I have since moved on to better radios.

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

I did for a while. To be honest with my answer, as you requested, which, by the way, I always am, I had a pair if Midland handhelds, GTX 1000s, I think. I found them to be junk. They went to Goodwill. I have since moved on to better radios.

I like honest people. need more of them.. Anyway, my point, the landscapers/contractors i speak of defiantly are not using the bubble  packs..  In fact most of them are using mobile.  I even spoke with on guy on my street working for HP putting in Cable and i was fishing him on what they use for radio communications.    I already knew they were using GMRS..  He said their trucks were all set up with GMRS mobile radios and they generally have one truck with a repeater for each area they work..  He was pretty knowledgeable on the subject.  And don't get me wrong,  I dont care what they use..  Just that most of them jam up the repeater channels all day long and it pisses me off because sometimes they use the same repeater Ch i.m set up.. HP was cool enough to move their repeater ch after i spoke with them, but only to another that bothered somone else.. They finally got it to an unused Ch...   Now the Landscapers,  those guy are all over the place and unfortuntlay i dont speak Spanish.  

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

I even spoke with on guy on my street working for HP putting in Cable and i was fishing him on what they use for radio communications.  

Wait... HP doesn't pull cable for infrastructure. And I used to work for HPE and now collaborate with HPE daily for massive IT infrastructure projects. Anyone who is carrying a radio is either carrying a Harris or Moto and running trunked networked encryption radios.

Pretty sure that dud didn't work for HP Tech or HPE and didn't know what he was talking about.

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

Wait... HP doesn't pull cable for infrastructure. And I used to work for HPE and now collaborate with HPE daily for massive IT infrastructure projects. Anyone who is carrying a radio is either carrying a Harris or Moto and running trunked networked encryption radios.

Pretty sure that dud didn't work for HP Tech or HPE and didn't know what he was talking about.

HP does pull cable my friend..  as well as trenching and placing the fiber conduits..  My own two eyes saw them in action and i can also tell you they do pretty crappy work.. The saw cut they did down my street and others near me looks like they were following the path of ants..  They also were using a white surly mix when the city required them to use a back dye in the slurry so it really stands out...  And yes they are using GMRS radios..  Rumor has it that these contrsctors are in the process of being removed..  

30 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Dude asks about hearing Morse code on GMRS. 23 hours later an argument breaks out on the same thread about who pulls cable for HP. 

🤣 ...and the horrors of hearing people using radios for work and speaking Spanish. 😂  .. .   .-   . ..   . ..   .. .. / . .   -.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, JamesBrox said:

Got it. But forgive me of my lack of knowing. But how can someone set up a repeater with no PL tones then claim I can't use that channel? If I'm going to spend time and money building a repeater. Then I would think I'd take the extra step and apply PL tones? I don't get it.  

PL tones, no  PL tones...neither can keep anyone out.