Swapping out Jeep radios?

PBRStreetGang

I have a MXT115 in my Jeep and a KG100G in a pickup truck. My Jeep rarely gets more than 100 miles from my house, and that only ever puts me within range of 1 repeater, which seems to have next to no activity.

I'm tempted to switch out the Mxt115 for a Mxt500 although the main use of the radio in the Jeep is to reach handhelds while out in the sticks, or to call back to a camper. That does mean that I use it in some hilly country. On flat ground, with the MXT115, I've communicated as far as 25 miles with another 15 watt radio, but obviously I wouldn't expect that with run of the mill handhelds.

So, here's my question. Do I gain anything at all, in real terms, by swapping out my MXT115 with a MXT500? More wattage, yes, but I won't be picking up more, I know. Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, PBRStreetGang said:
I have a MXT115 in my Jeep and a KG100G in a pickup truck. My Jeep rarely gets more than 100 miles from my house, and that only ever puts me within range of 1 repeater, which seems to have next to no activity.

I'm tempted to switch out the Mxt115 for a Mxt500 although the main use of the radio in the Jeep is to reach handhelds while out in the sticks, or to call back to a camper. That does mean that I use it in some hilly country. On flat ground, with the MXT115, I've communicated as far as 25 miles with another 15 watt radio, but obviously I wouldn't expect that with run of the mill handhelds.

So, here's my question. Do I gain anything at all, in real terms, by swapping out my MXT115 with a MXT500? More wattage, yes, but I won't be picking up more, I know. Thoughts?

The range probably won’t change much , but if you like the features of the 500, go for it.  There is a certain psychological comfort in knowing that you have the maximum allowed power, though. 🙂