September 16 - Radio Expedition to Reddish Knob

marcspaz

Hey folks, I am rescheduling a radio expedition up to Reddish Knob. Lets bring handhelds, mobiles, whatever you have. This is going to be a chance to set a personal-best for range of a contact and soak in some nice fresh air. If you have any non-GMRS gear you want to bring, this is a "let play radio" event. Bring it out.

Additionally, I will be setting up my HF radio. Anyone who is interested in trying out the amateur bands and possibly talking to someone in another country from radio to radio, everyone will be welcome to operate my equipment. No need to worry about licensing, as you can operate under my station ID up to the limits of my privileges. No amateur license needed.

We have chosen this location for ease of access. Its paved all the way there and the parking lot is paved, too. No high-clearance vehicle is needed.

This is a "weather providing" event. It will be rescheduled if there are chances of rain and/or lightning.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b645c633c02892b6e87324fd8823663.jpeg

image.thumb.png.76beb9a7eb79f7b0170380740e7b6113.png

• 2 weeks later...
CONVOY
Hey folks, I am setting up a meet-up time and place for those wanting to convoy up to the mountain together. The hope is to get to the mountain top by about 9:00-9:30 AM.

For those leaving from the DC Metro area, we can meet at Sheetz at 13039 Balls Ford Rd, Manassas, VA. at 6:30 AM and we will leave promptly at 7:00 AM.

For those coming from the Winchester area, lets meet at Burger King at 33964 Old Valley Pike, Strasburg, VA. at 8:00 AM and leave promptly at 8:15.

We will stop for fuel at the Shell gas station at 3275 S Main St, Harrisonburg, VA., and then head up to Reddish Knob.

COMFORT / FOOD
Hey folks, this is going to be 5 hours of round-trip driving for me, so I will be making a day of it. I assume this will be the case for many of you. I wanted to just provide a few recommendations and reminders to make sure everyone has fun and is comfortable.

Please remember to bring your radio! LOL. It's not a requirement, as I am willing to share, but if you want to maximize your time, having your own gear will help.

Bring a chair of some type, and possibly a small folding table. This will make life better. I wouldn't want to stand all day and having a flat surface for writing notes about contact, a place to hold your radio/drink/make lunch will be a plus.

The weather looks like its going to be wonderful, but cold in the morning. Dress in layers, bring a hat, sunscreen, bug repellent, etc. If you take daily meds for health, please remember to bring them.

Food and Drinks... I would recommend a small cooler with drinks and some food that doesn't require heating. The mountain top isn't really setup for cooking. There are no fire pits or grills.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you have any other tips... post them up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.