How am I able to hear this?

WRWI368

First post here so I'm sorry if the answer is really obvious.

I'm picking up a conversation on GMRS 62 which is the 462.625 repeater between a guy in Bababoo, WI a guy in Maryland and a guy in Indiana. I'm kind of in the middle in Northern IL. There are no repeaters near me using that frequency according to repeaterbook.com. Can someone please explain to me how I'm able to hear their conversation.

I'm listening on a Baofeng UV-5R with a Signal Stick antenna.

Thanks for any help.

38 minutes ago, WRWI368 said:

First post here so I'm sorry if the answer is really obvious.

I'm picking up a conversation on GMRS 62 which is the 462.625 repeater between a guy in Bababoo, WI a guy in Maryland and a guy in Indiana. I'm kind of in the middle in Northern IL. There are no repeaters near me using that frequency according to repeaterbook.com. Can someone please explain to me how I'm able to hear their conversation.

I'm listening on a Baofeng UV-5R with a Signal Stick antenna.

Thanks for any help.

Not every repeater is in Repeaterbook.  Check the repeater database here to see if any appear within range of you.

Also, are you always able to hear it or does it come and go?

9 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Not every repeater is in Repeaterbook.  Check the repeater database here to see if any appear within range of you.

Also, are you always able to hear it or does it come and go?

And there we go, looks like I'm getting the Batavia repeater. I'm on the Northern edge of its estimated range. Yes, I can always hear it.

Thank you!

So you are hearing the Chain of lakes repeater which is a out 20 miles from you. A HT may be a stretch to reach it but a mobile or base unit would have no problem.  https://mygmrs.com/repeater/1710

It's part of a very large repeater link system. Most of the time it's just linked to other Wisconsin repeaters but a few times a week it links into Illinois, Indiana and Ohio with a few other repeater outside of those states. 

Also here's the linking map and if you click on the dots it will tell you which repeater it is. 

https://network.mygmrs.com/map

Thanks Jay,

I've got a request in to be able to use this repeater.

35 minutes ago, WRCQ487 said:

So you are hearing the Chain of lakes repeater which is a out 20 miles from you. A HT may be a stretch to reach it but a mobile or base unit would have no problem.  https://mygmrs.com/repeater/1710

It's part of a very large repeater link system. Most of the time it's just linked to other Wisconsin repeaters but a few times a week it links into Illinois, Indiana and Ohio with a few other repeater outside of those states. 

Also hers the linking map and if you click on the dots it will tell you which repeater it is. 

https://network.mygmrs.com/map

Great info Jay, thank you!

Glanced through a couple of ham radio tropo reports from the weekend.  Many of these were on UHF or higher frequencies, so GMRS reports would not be surprising.

CT -> FL & IA

ME -> IN, OH, WI, IL, NC, MI, NE, LA, SC, MO, KS, VA and Ontario, Canada.

For real radio geeks this would also include FM broadcast and TV signals from outside of your normal reception range.  Another subset of the scanner hobby.