64 year old newbie needs an experienced mentor...mostly about setting up repeaters on CHIRP!

WRYR267

Question

Just starting out & having a lot of problems understanding the GMRS lay out in CHIRP. I have MANY hours into this so far trying to find answers lol  For instance, when a repeater gives you the input & output tones (either the DPL or Hz format so far), CHIRP does not make it easy to understand where to put these settings in their generic GMRS format. I'm also not sure if other defaults also need to be changed according to if it's Hz or DPL tones. It's VERY frustrating. I really don't mind putting in the time & effort for this but you when bang your head so much, you obviously want to stop...and my head is getting sore. I'm not a quitter though. Please, if you have time...some time...ANY time, this poor newbie needs help! ANY ADVICE! LOL Thank you in advance!    bob@bpps.net

8 answers to this question

9 hours ago, WRYR267 said:

For instance, when a repeater gives you the input & output tones (either the DPL or Hz format so far), CHIRP does not make it easy to understand where to put these settings in their generic GMRS format.

This image may give an idea of how to enter the tones.  The ones with TSQL set have both transmit and receive tones.  DTCS includes TX and RX with the same tone.  You would only have a value in RX DTCS if the tones are different (that would be Cross mode).

CHIRP-cols.png

1 hour ago, WRYR267 said:

Good video, but it still didn't address my issue :( Geesh.

What exactly is your issue?  UncleYoda posted a screenshot that we can use to answer specific questions. 
If you ask us specifics we can try to give specific answers. 
To begin, what are the requirements for the repeater you want to use?

6 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

What exactly is your issue?  UncleYoda posted a screenshot that we can use to answer specific questions. 
If you ask us specifics we can try to give specific answers. 
To begin, what are the requirements for the repeater you want to use?

Cant you read? He wants a personal mentor! For consideration you are supposed to send your resume to bob@bpps.net.

8 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Cant you read? He wants a personal mentor! For consideration you are supposed to send your resume to bob@bpps.net.

Many of us need some help sometimes.  I’m no different.  I got started with GMRS quite a while ago (but unlicensed), but I really became interested after watching your videos.  If I can pay it forward I will.