Simplex Repeater Operation?

KU9L

Does anything in the FCC rules prohibit the use of a Simplex Repeater setup on GMRS frequencies? For temporary or seasonal use for family & emergency or even camp host wellness checks this would be a very useful function to us that we have used in the past on other services such as Ham. However I seem to be overlooking where this feature is allowed or not allowed. Comments?

Davey WRTI-814/KU9L

1 hour ago, KU9L said:

Does anything in the FCC rules prohibit the use of a Simplex Repeater setup on GMRS frequencies? For temporary or seasonal use for family & emergency or even camp host wellness checks this would be a very useful function to us that we have used in the past on other services such as Ham. However I seem to be overlooking where this feature is allowed or not allowed. Comments?

Davey WRTI-814/KU9L

It’s not prohibited, therefore it’s allowed. 

It's not against FCC rules. i set up a Wouxun Repearter shoved in a modified 50 Cal Army can wherever we end up camping., mostly up in the Sierras. The repeater has come in handy and useful many times..  The higher you get, the better it works..  My RV has 2500 Watts of solar so no issues powering...   I use a modified telescope flag pole from Harbor Freight for the antenna mast..  I can get the antenna up about 25' and works great..   

7 hours ago, KU9L said:

Davey WRTI-814/KU9L

You mean like a remote base station transmiting/receiving on the same freq? If so, how are you going to control the station?

6 hours ago, nokones said:

You mean like a remote base station transmiting/receiving on the same freq? If so, how are you going to control the station?

One simplex controller:

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98

Reviews on EHam.net:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=7625

I used Argent Data SR-1 for many years with great results. Even without high mast, just plugged into a mobile radio with 5/8 antenna on a flat roof of SUV it extends the range of HTs by many-folds. I have it programmed to only repeat when DTMF "0" is sent, to keep annoyance factor to minimum. There are several threads here where we discussed simplex repeaters.