Can’t find repeater in my area.

WRYD530

Question

I have looked on this and another site but can’t find a repeater in my area. I’m in the Warren/Youngstown Ohio area. The closest I see is in Painsville which I believe has a 25 mile range. It’s about an hour drive from me. My equipment is a Midland MXT575 with the 3db mag mount in the center of my GMC sierra roof. Also anyone want to comment on my “fars” with this setup. I don’t really have anyone else to talk to other than my handhelds which don’t give me more that a few miles in my area. 

9 answers to this question

19 hours ago, WRYD530 said:

I have looked on this and another site but can’t find a repeater in my area. I’m in the Warren/Youngstown Ohio area. The closest I see is in Painsville which I believe has a 25 mile range. It’s about an hour drive from me. My equipment is a Midland MXT575 with the 3db mag mount in the center of my GMC sierra roof. Also anyone want to comment on my “fars” with this setup. I don’t really have anyone else to talk to other than my handhelds which don’t give me more that a few miles in my area. 

When you pull up the Map be sure to go to Settings wheel and select "Offline" and "Stale" repeaters to maximize your search.  I have a few of those in my area that are fully functional.

1 hour ago, WRYD530 said:

Need help programming radio. Nearest repeater is frequency 462.675 which is channel 20. Tone up/down is 141.3

I have radio set to ctcss number 22 in transmit and receive. Is this correct 

Im still not getting a kerchunk

What radio do you have?

Most importantly, channel 20 is not a repeater channel.  It doesn’t transmit on 467.675, which must be done to hit the repeater.  That’s usually shown as 20RP or something like that which transmits on 467.675 and receives on 462.675.

Are you certain that CTCSS number 22 on your radio is tone 141.3?  Not all manufacturers assign the same numbers to the same tones.  

I recommend leaving the receive (down) tone empty while getting the transmitter tone right.  That way you’ll hear everything on that frequency. 

Unfortunately, I don't think very many of the repeaters are listed here on mygmrs. Maybe I'm wrong but I know of a lot more repeaters in my area than the couple listed here.

I actually just listed mine last week, hoping to get more people active. I did have 22 requests for access, with 18 of them being within 15 miles and the users went from about 2 to well, 2. Lots of people want access, but no one ever uses the repeaters here in my area

I guess you could go through the radio settiings and manually check each pl on the frequency, and if you get lucky, give out your callsign and maybe the repeater owner will get back to you

3 minutes ago, Flameout said:

Unfortunately, I don't think very many of the repeaters are listed here on mygmrs. Maybe I'm wrong but I know of a lot more repeaters in my area than the couple listed here.

I actually just listed mine last week, hoping to get more people active. I did have 22 requests for access, with 18 of them being within 15 miles and the users went from about 2 to well, 2. Lots of people want access, but no one ever uses the repeaters here in my area

I guess you could go through the radio settiings and manually check each pl on the frequency, and if you get lucky, give out your callsign and maybe the repeater owner will get back to you

Are you sure you’re replying to the right post?  The OP already knows the PL (CTCSS) frequency and he wasn’t asking about getting permission. 

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Are you sure you’re replying to the right post?  The OP already knows the PL (CTCSS) frequency and he wasn’t asking about getting permission. 

Yes, I was telling him that not all repeaters are listed on mygmrs site. I kind of got carried away with the other stuff. Just so he knows that there are many more repeaters than my gmrs shows

46 minutes ago, WRYD530 said:

Steve I have a midland mxt575. Yes I’m in the repeater channel and correct ctcss. You think I should try with only with transmit tone to 141.3. I’ll try that. Should I be able to hit that repeater? In your opinion 

Without knowing more about it I can only speculate, but the distance alone wouldn’t prevent it. 
So you are transmitting on 467.675 MHz with a tone of 141.3 Hz?

The reason I usually suggest that people listen without a tone is because then you hear everything on 462.675 MHz. First, make sure you can hear the repeater. If you can’t, it doesn’t matter if the repeater hears you. 
Once you know you can hear the repeater then try transmitting. Feel free to ask if anyone hears you. Most people are friendly. 😁