SWR Talk - 1.5swr with 1.5ref let’s talk range!

WRYR550

I get 40+ miles in MY city - but how many farz you get in YOUR city depends on what is between you and your friend.   

Are there any big buildings, hills, mountains, trees/forests, or houses full of fat people between you and him?

..you said you're on 467...? - do you mean you are transmitting to a repeater, or you are on one of the lower channels that are restricted to low power? What exact channel are you on?

12 minutes ago, WRYR550 said:

In a city in west Michigan, with the mention readings I have, I’m on 467….., I’m not getting good range, it is the same across the board on all gmrs bands. I get between a 1 mile - 3 miles with a local buddy. Is this normal range with a 50W radio in the city? 

It depends on the city and your antenna as well as your buddy’s radio and antenna. Also, are you really getting 50 watts out?  The firmware in many radios will reduce your power to remain in compliance with FCC regs. 

I don’t have tall buildings but being west Michigan, there are a lot of trees and house. As well as minimal elevation changes. Maybe 100-150ft. I can run on any of the GMRS norm channels but I’m working on 467.650 as I’m trying to see if it is a clear channel to use because I am in the process of setting up a repeater. I’m running an Wouxan 1000g plus and swr meter is saying 47 watts TX @ 1.5 SWR and 1.5 REF.

I’m using a midland mtxa24 cable with a midland mtxa26 6DB antenna I’ve got it grounded. The power and antenna I was able to run as far away from each other as possible. At least until they come up to the radio. My buddy I bought him a wouxankg-1000g plus but he didn’t like it, so he’s using a tyt 9800 with a tram browning antenna dual band. I know I’m TX’ing at close to 50 watts 47 to be precise as my niessi swr reader is telling me so. 

Power output is much less important than antenna and antenna placement. I easily get 20 miles to a repeater with a 5 watt handheld and rubber ducky because the repeater and antenna are on a mountain. 
I use the same antenna and mount as you on my vehicle. 
Are you in a vehicle or using this hardware in a house? You and your buddy should find a couple hills and see if things get better.

A good way to see the terrain between you and your friend is a line-of-sight tool like link below.  Scadacore.com had a better one, but their site seems to be down as of this post.  Our cabin in up by Alpena has some serious elevation changes (300') depending on the direction.  We can get anywhere from 4-10 miles using simplex with a vehicle mounted MTXA26 Midland MTX400 (SWR 1.1) and 15' tower mount MTXA26 Baofang HT (SWR 1.5).  I have done some testing and agree, its all about antenna height and terrain.  

https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-elevationtool.html

Around here 1 to 3 miles is normal in the city because of buildings, low elevation change and the curve of the earth. Normal distance in a flat area is 3.1 miles to the RF horizon. It's very unlikely you can send enough energy into the atmosphere to make up for those obstacles. And those same obstacles will defuse the signal you're trying to receive. 

Then there is the issue of RFI, which tends to overload your receive front-end, desensing it. So you can't hear the desired signals due to the radio trying to stop the RFI from over-driving the receive. 

Out in the burbs and countryside, I get 14-15 miles with just 5 watts. In town, it's anywhere from less than a mile to about 2.5-3 miles with 50w.

Significant elevation for a less obstructed signal path is your only hope of getting ant range in a typical city.

Well if your in Wyoming that's good, Me to. With my Boafengs i can get from ClydePark to about ByronCenter, sometimes farther depending on what ever is in the way. When i get a chance I will get with you and we'll do some checking to see if it's you or your buddy with the problem. But I can't at the moment, maybe in a week or so I'll have time. If you figure it out sooner let me know.