Baofeng uv-5g wont communicate with Midland 1000

ShaneF

Question

I recently bought 2 Baofeng UV-5G GMRS radios to use on an upcoming cruise. I also have two Midland 1000 V4. The Midland is set to channel 20. which is equivalent to 462.6750 on the UV-5G. OK, now the two Midland radios will communicate with each other and the two Midland radios will communicate with the UV – 5G. BUT the UV-5G radios will not communicate with each other and will not communicate with the Midland. Can someone assist me in figuring out why this is happening so I can fix it. I can speak from the Midland to the other Midland and  the 2 UV-5G but when i speak in the 2 UB-5G nothing happens. Any ifeas

7 answers to this question

I recently purchased a pair of Baofeng GM-15s and pleasantly surprised at the feel and quality, considering paying less than $60 for the pair.

I will be heading off to an annual hunt and much of the group communicates via Garmin Rinos and a variety of Midland GPRS handhelds. I dug out an old GTX to find out if the two radios could play together.  GM-15 to GTX, no problem. GTX to GM-15 no luck. I assume that is associated with the Midlands "Groups"(?)

Is this something that can programed into the Baufeng so I can use these two new radios on the hunt and communicate with the other radios?

Thanks,

CJB

21 hours ago, CJB said:

I recently purchased a pair of Baofeng GM-15s and pleasantly surprised at the feel and quality, considering paying less than $60 for the pair.

I will be heading off to an annual hunt and much of the group communicates via Garmin Rinos and a variety of Midland GPRS handhelds. I dug out an old GTX to find out if the two radios could play together.  GM-15 to GTX, no problem. GTX to GM-15 no luck. I assume that is associated with the Midlands "Groups"(?)

Is this something that can programed into the Baufeng so I can use these two new radios on the hunt and communicate with the other radios?

Thanks,

CJB

Midland and Baofeng use different numerical values to indicate their CTCSS tones. As long as you use the same tone frequencies instead of expecting “Tone 6” to be the same in one as in the other they’ll have no problems. 
Look in their different manuals and match the actual frequencies.