New to GMRS

Guest Guest

Hi,

I just recently (yesterday) received my GMRS license. When i go to register with your guys website, it tells me that the call sign doesnt exist. no i know about the 24 hour rule. But i applied for my license yesterday and it was approved almost instantly. Is there anyway to fix this?

Also. Im assuming that bubble pack GMRS systems do not have the capacity to reach out and talk to others correct? Will i need to buy a commercial grade unit? And how do i find out how to actually talk to someone? ive been playing with a bubble pack radio. I can hear them, but they cant hear me. Private CTSS or DCS codes?

I am no fan of bubble pak radios. not a bad place to start, but non-removable antenna, 1 watt power limit, no split tones. amoung other issues, make them unuseable on many repeaters. You can hear them because they are either using a powerful repeater or their HT puts out 2 to 4 watts. Your inability to talk back could be many issues. Power, improperly set DPL or pl tones, repeaters require an offset some bubble pak radios will not do. If you just purchased save your packaging and receipt and return them. You may be able to get a single part95 radio for about the same price, or a little more. I purchased the Motorola 350's they were repeater compatible, but at half the range of other radios. there are many UHF radios that will work on GMRS.

What is your callsign? I will look into it if you still can't connect.

As of late it appears the delay can be as long as 48 hours. Basically we get a dump of the FCC database every day at noon, but whether a new license is in that dump yet is up to the FCC's system. Sometimes they come up, sometimes they don't. It's a bit frustrating, but for now that's their limitation.

• 10 months later...

I plan on getting the Motorola MS350R, I see it says it has a repeater, aside from all the other cool bells and whistles. If I buy it, get the FCC license and there's an “open" repeater will I then be able to talk farther?...I have a Cobra ACXT365 FRS/GMRS now and I can hear ppl talking but they can't hear me. I know about the privacy codes and it's not that. Thanks for your help. Btw this place is Awesome!!, Very informative!

I plan on getting the Motorola MS350R, I see it says it has a repeater, aside from all the other cool bells and whistles. If I buy it, get the FCC license and there's an “open" repeater will I then be able to talk farther?...I have a Cobra ACXT365 FRS/GMRS now and I can hear ppl talking but they can't hear me. I know about the privacy codes and it's not that. Thanks for your help. Btw this place is Awesome!!, Very informative!

Welcome to GMRS.  To answer your questions... Technically, rather than having a repeater,  the MS350R (like other repeater capable radios) has the ability to automatically transmit and receive on separate frequencies. In the case of GMRS, and most other UHF services, the transmit frequency from the radio to the repeater is 5mHz higher than the receive frequency. (Though, there are cases where the offset is - 5mHz).  So, you transmit to the repeater on one frequency, it receives that signal, converts it to audio and then simultaneously re-broadcasts that audio on another frequency. It is that second frequency to which you would listen to hear other broadcasts passed through the repeater.  

On your Cobra you may have the case where you are hearing the output from a repeater but it can't hear you because you are transmitting on the same frequency you are listening to (and not 5 mHz higher).  Of course, the stations you hear might not be going through a repeater and just have more power so you hear them, but not the reverse.

And now to your first question: No and Yes. No, your "transmit" range, the distance over which your signal can be received, will not change. But, since your transmission will be re-broadcast by another transmitter (the repeater) with presumably a better location, more power, better antenna, more sensitive receiver or all of the preceding, you will be able to "talk" to people further away than you could without the repeater.

Does that help?

Perhaps this graphic will help you understand this a bit better.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/Steve_Collins/Misc%20radio%20stuff/Simplex-Repeater-300x273_zpsdwctou0p.jpg

In the upper pic, the radio is in simplex mode meaning that it transmits and receives on the same frequency. Communications are limited by power, distance, and terrain. Most bubble pack and consumer FRS/GMRS radios are simplex only.

In the lower pic, the field units transmit on one frequency and listen on another. The repeater receives their transmissions and simultaneously rebroadcasts them on the output frequency. This allows portables and mobiles a larger area of transmission and reception.

Your Motorolas don't have a repeater in them. They are "repeater capable" meaning that they can access and hear repeaters. This is a very important distinction for you to understand.

Berkinet and SteveC thank you for your replies. I've been looking into this online. I remember having Bubble Packs as a kid and talking with the neighborhood kids.Thus my curiosity into GMRS. I might just try out the MS350R... Just wanted a confirmation if they were able to speak/be heard with repeater station. Btw I'm in L.A. I see there are a few here.

Yes the MS350r is repeater capable under ideal circumstances. Often half the range of more serious radios employing adaptable antennas like the Tera or the GMRS v1 by baofeng/Pofung. I also found the audio to be tiny and hollow. less than satisfying.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just got my GMRS license, I'm also new to this, I already registered to the myGMRS website, I found one repeater near my area here in Cali, North Valley area, some of the repeaters that I saw has a "Permission required" what does it mean? does that mean I can't listen and transmit to that repeater? Do I have to contact the repeater owner to get permission? TIA for your answer. WQZZ730

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new to GMRS and radio communication in general. Is any newbie guide on the forum covering the basics including repeater set up? My license just was granted I'm waiting for the database to sync to be able to register. Thanks!