Finders Keepers???????

WRUE951

If you found a 500' roll of 7/8 50ohm Coax laying on the road leading to a tower site, What would you do????  I didn't find it but sitting here listening to somone on GMRS who just did..  Tower site seems to be a cell tower..  Now i was just imagining if i found it wondering if i'd  be honest..    Hmmmmmm     Thats a pretty good chunk of change worth of cable right there. 

15 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

If you found a 500' roll of 7/8 50ohm Coax laying on the road leading to a tower site, What would you do????  I didn't find it but sitting here listening to somone on GMRS who just did..  Tower site seems to be a cell tower..  Now i was just imagining if i found it wondering if i'd  be honest..    Hmmmmmm     Thats a pretty good chunk of change worth of cable right there. 

I would let the tower owners know if I could determine who they were. But I certainly understand the temptation and I don’t claim moral superiority. 

21 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

What would you do?

It's valuable and it's on the road to a cell site. I'd leave it. It's pretty obvious that it belongs ro someone and they may be looking for it. I've been on the wrong end of dropping something valuable and going back for it only to find it gone. It's not a good feeling. 

59 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

Look at it this way. What if you were taking an expensive roll of coax to your repeater site and it bounced out of your truck. 
What would you like someone else to do?

So a 500 foot spool of 7/8 isn't gonna be just loaded up in a truck and taken away.  Not even by two guys.  The spool, no cable is probably 50 pounds.  I have a number of 200 ish foot hand rolls of 7/8 and they are all well over 100 pounds.  To the point it takes me everything I have to stand them up from the ground.  And even laying them across my shoulders, I can't lift them and carry them.  They get rolled.  So a 500 foot roll would reasonably be over 200 pounds plus the 50 pound spool.  If you are man enough to pick that up knee high and set in it the back of a pickup truck.  Well, if it was mine and I saw you do it.  I would just let it go cuz I ain't gonna screw with you.

That being said.  7/8 cable retail price meaning the price they will use to determine if it's grand theft or not, is about 9 bucks a foot.  So your 'free' 500 foot of cable will get you 10 years for grand theft.  ANd if it happens to be for an EMA install.  Well then it starts to get a bit more serious.  EMA's all fall under the Homeland Security blanket.  Screwing with their communications sites just happens to be a federal offense.  So now when the county gets down with you, the feds pick up where they left off and toss some more charges your way.

It's not worth it

just to follow up..  I heard these guys yaking this morning on 7 and per their conversations, sounds like they left the spool at the front gate of the site..  Apparently, the spool was also busted up pretty good.     They are/were camping at Dove Springs which puts them close to the Robbers Roost Cell site..  Horse Canyon site is also nearby but sounds like they left it at Robbers Roost.   

1 hour ago, H8SPVMT said:

You took your good energy to load it. Return it to where you think it might belong (and found by the possible owner) and call the supposed owner of the place you dropped it off at, to inform them it was you that placed it there and why.

You'll sleep better at night.🙂 and you know why.

Apparently you missed a few of the details.  The OP didn’t take it.  The people who found the coax loaded it and took it to a place where the rightful owners should find it. 

• 6 months later...

Not a legal issue here in North Carolina.  State law classifies such as either 1) Lost property, 2) Misplaced property, or 3) Abandoned property, and there are specific legal rights or responsibilities that go to the finder with each.  The moral issue, on the other hand, is more vague.  99.99% of the time if you ask the cable guy if he lost a $300 roll of cable the answer is going to be "yes".  The other 0.01% of the time the answer is going to be "hell yes".