Questions after I RTFM

WRZB493

Hi all, recently purchased a TidRadio TD-H5 and allow me to confirm that yes, I did indeed Read the F****** Manual cover to cover! That being said, I am extremely new (got my license a few days ago) and the manual was more focused on what the settings were rather than what they're meant to do, so some options and why they would be used or what they're meant to do was lost to me.

Hoping the fine folks on these boards can shed some light - or can direct me to either literature or videos that specifically answer any of the questions below. I am happy to google as much as I can on the below, but if there's a comprehensive FAQ or wiki, or series of videos or instructions that instruct on most/all of this, would love to be pointed in that direction before I let the search engines take me wherever they think is best for me.

• Scan of frequencies with CTCSS and DCS (SEEK CTCSS and SEEK DCS)
    • Am I understanding correctly that it's so I can scan the transmit and receive tones of a repeater by scanning someone nearby that's using the repeater? So this is like potentially some roundabout way to get onto a using a repeater?
    • ANSWER: YES

• Repeater tones
    • What are these and what are they used for? In my options settings I can choose to send out a repeater tone of 1000, 1450, 1750, 2100
    • ANSWER: almost never used in GMRS. Ignore them for now
    • ANSWER 2: These tone freqs are in Hertz. A repeater tone is never used in the GMRS world. Some legacy public safety radio systems use repeater tones to select certain repeaters from a mobile or portable, and/or a dispatch control point. The user would select the appropriate repeater tone depending on his/her location based on what repeater provides the best coverage. This repeater tone is in addition to the channel protection CTCSS tone.  These tones are also known as "Single Tones" "Signal Tones", or Burst Tones" usually for one-second in duration on each transmitter key upPublic Safety Agencies used this type of signaling because of the expense and/or the lack of the means for a remote control system (Microwave or Telco) between the remote repeater station(s) and the dispatch control point. This method of signaling is normally used in a multiple remote site system in a very large rural area. In some cases, these tones (Usually 1450, 1750, and 2100 Hz) can be constant for use as a function or system status purposes on a remote control system (microwave or telco RTO/Pieceout circuit), behind the scenes to the radio user, and will not be heard, normally if the control circuit doesn't malfunction. The 1000 Hz tone is normally used as a "Test Tone" for equipment repair and tuning/Alignments.

• Squelch level
    • Is there a suggested Squelch level? I can go from 1-9 with default being 3. I'm going to guess the answer is "it depends" or "stick to default for now and tweak later" but wanted to sanity check this first
    • ANSWER: Try different levels; see what works for you

• VOX Function
    • This sounds terrible, like being on a telephone call or a discord voice chat room (I'm 39, which as I understand it makes me a teenager here). Safe to assume this is normally off by default, correct?
    • ANSWER: Correct, VOX is usually left off

• Time Out Timer
    • I believe this is in case you accidentally hold down PTT (sitting on it, etc). Is there a standard default time? I'm thinking 60 seconds but perhaps shorter is better? Curious what others have theirs set at
    • ANSWER: leave it at the factory setting, whatever it is

• Receiving DCS and Receiving CTCSS
    • Is this used in order to primarily filter out other conversations happening on a channel?
    • Example: if I'm on Channel 1 and I setup a CTCSS and/or DCS, then I can only hear people who transmit with aforementioned CTCSS and/or DCS?
    • Does the same example above apply to repeater channels? Or no, because they require a specific DCS/CTCSS in order for the repeater to pick you up and broadcast you (meaning there's no way to have a private conversation on a shared repeater)?
    • Are there any other benefits to setting this up outside of the above (assuming the above is correct)
    • ANSWER: read the forums and make up your own opinion, but anyone can hear you

• Transmit DCS and Transmit CTCSS
    • Similar to above, is it safe to assume that if you setup a DCS and/or CTCSS and transmit, anyone not tuned to that won't hear your message?
    • So I could be on channel 15 with a few other people, and if they aren't receiving in the specific DCS/CTCSS I configured, they won't hear me?
    • Aka this is how I could somewhat "privatize" a communication between myself and someone else on a channel (assuming we setup our receive and transmit to the same codes?
    • ANSWER: read the forums and make up your own opinion, but anyone can hear you

• DCS/CTCSS
    • Is it common to use one or the other? Could you theoretically use both to privatize a conversation or is that not possible?

• ANI-ID / DTMF Side Tone / Signal Code
    • What exactly do each of these do? Some quick googling indicates most/all are primarily used in Europe.
    • Assuming that's true, is there any use for these in the States? Or not in the typical radio context and are more niche... meaning leave them off and don't play with them?
    • ANSWER: Play with them and let us know. DTMF is commonly used for repeater control

• Scan Mode
    • Is it common to scan channels? Is it primarily to browse for conversations or are there other reasons to turn on scan channels
    • Which scan mode is suggested? Time operated, Carrier Operated, or Search Scan?
    • ANSWER: some people scan the channels listening for other people. I don't. Suit yourself

• PTT-ID
    • Is this like ANI-ID and the others above, where this doesn't have much of a use case in the US and should be left |off? What does it do?
    • ANSWER: very few people (I've never met anyone who does) use PTT ID in GMRS
    • ANSWER 2: Is a signalling method to identify the radio user that is transmitting at that specific time. For the Dispatcher the code would translate to the Unit's radio call sign on a display in front of the dispatcher.  A specific code is programed in each radio to identify the specific user. This specific code is audible to all users monitoring the channel. In the old days analog radios like the Saber Radios used by L.AP.D., it was a series of tone beeps heard upon each key up a.k.a. MDC signalling. In the Astro Digital days it became a squawk on each key up now known as PTT ID.

• Busy Channel Lock
    • Is this typically left on? Or is it more at the repeater owner's discretion, and if not explicitly stated, usually left off?
    • ANSWER: Your choice

• Auto keypad lock
    • Assuming this one is commonly used, no?
    • ANSWER: This would drive me nuts. Make up your own mind on this one. Like most of your questions, try things.

• Frequency Offset direction
    • Is this primarily for repeaters? Is there any other use case? Aren't repeaters always =/- 5? Or is that just in the states and other countries could have variation which is what this feature is for?
    • ANSWER: For GMRS the offset is always 5 MHz positive. You transmit to repeaters in the 467 MHz range and listen at the 462 MHz range

• Squelch Tail Elimination (and Squelch Tail Elimination of Repeater)
    • What's the use case of these features? Just to hide that noise at the end in case it bothers you? Is this commonly used (feels like no, but what do I know)
    • ANSWER: Try it

• Delay the squelch tail of repeater
    • This is even more confusing than above. Taking the name at face value, what's the purpose of this?
    • ANSWER: Try it

• Dual Band Single Display (SYNC)
    • Does this render "Channel A Display Mode" (MDF-A) and "Channel B Display Mode" (MDF-B) moot? Or do those two have entirely separate functions to this feature and do something unrelated and different instead?
    • ANSWER: Try it

Each of these questions can be answered with an internet search using the search engine of your choice. Most of us could answer at least some or all of them, but it would take a pantload of time. Not to sound dismissive, but I would toss one into Google and see what comes up. You may be surprised. 

@WRZB493

Yes.

Repeater tones are almost never used in GMRS. Ignore them for now. 
Try different levels; see what works for you. 
Correct, VOX is usually left off. 
TOT - leave it at the factory setting, whatever it is. 
CTCSS/DCS questions - read the forums and make up your own opinion. But anyone can hear you. 
ANI - play with them and let us know. DTMF is commonly used for repeater control. 
Some people scan the channels listening for other people. I don’t. Suit yourself. 
Very few people (I’ve never met anyone who does) use PTT ID in GMRS. 
Busy Channel - your choice.

Auto keypad lock would drive me nuts. Make up your own mind on this one. Like most of your questions, try things. 
For GMRS the offset is always 5 MHz positive. You transmit to repeaters in the 467 MHz range and listen at 462 MHz range. 
Try it.

Try it.

Try it. 

Whew. 

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I was going to start answering the questions, but jeezus.. I have to be in bed in 3 hours.

Good luck.

Hey, this was your fault! One of your videos specifically told me, your favorite viewer. To RTFM. Had I not, I would've thought squelching tails was just some strange bedroom position (maybe that would've been better?)

Jokes aside, I didn't do a good job explaining that I wasn't expecting the community to answer every question, moreso was hoping that there was a comprehensive wiki or GMRS 101 SOP that covered all this stuff that I could've leveraged.

Looks like I'll be hitting up Bing soon on the above (there are dozens of us who bing it... Dozens!)

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

@WRZB493

Yes.

Repeater tones are almost never used in GMRS. Ignore them for now. 
Try different levels; see what works for you. 
Correct, VOX is usually left off. 
TOT - leave it at the factory setting, whatever it is. 
CTCSS/DCS questions - read the forums and make up your own opinion. But anyone can hear you. 
ANI - play with them and let us know. DTMF is commonly used for repeater control. 
Some people scan the channels listening for other people. I don’t. Suit yourself. 
Very few people (I’ve never met anyone who does) use PTT ID in GMRS. 
Busy Channel - your choice.

Auto keypad lock would drive me nuts. Make up your own mind on this one. Like most of your questions, try things. 
For GMRS the offset is always 5 MHz positive. You transmit to repeaters in the 467 MHz range and listen at 462 MHz range. 
Try it.

Try it.

Try it. 

Whew. 

Thank you for this! I'll research a lot of these and report back.

Admittedly was apprehensive to try a few of those options because I didn't want to poison the airwaves with weird sounds and piss off the locals.

I'm based in Miami FL and there's what appears to be an active (by GMRS standards) scene here, so if I fire a few noises off into the radio airwaves to test those features, those RF bullets could come crashing down and I get some annoyed responses back. I know GMRS is more casual, but I also don't want to be an ignorant ass and hit a bunch of buttons that could annoy people who rely on the airwaves

6 hours ago, WRZB493 said:

Thank you for this! I'll research a lot of these and report back.

Admittedly was apprehensive to try a few of those options because I didn't want to poison the airwaves with weird sounds and piss off the locals.

I'm based in Miami FL and there's what appears to be an active (by GMRS standards) scene here, so if I fire a few noises off into the radio airwaves to test those features, those RF bullets could come crashing down and I get some annoyed responses back. I know GMRS is more casual, but I also don't want to be an ignorant ass and hit a bunch of buttons that could annoy people who rely on the airwaves

Turn your power to its lowest setting and get a dummy load.  You’ll still be able to hear these features, many of which almost nobody use for GMRS, such as PTT ID, repeater tones (not to be confused with access tones like CTCSS/DCS which almost every repeater uses).

Some of those features are there because business radios use them. They’re baked into the firmware and SDR and it would take more work to hide them.  To most GMRS users they have no usefulness. 

But the Roger beep, is an extremely important feature that never bothers anyone 😉 and which you didn’t ask about.

Repeater Tones = These tone freqs are in Hertz. A repeater tone is never used in the GMRS world. Some legacy public safety radio systems use repeater tones to select certain repeaters from a mobile or portable, and/or a dispatch control point. The user would select the appropriate repeater tone depending on his/her location based on what repeater provides the best coverage. This repeater tone is in addition to the channel protection CTCSS tone.  These tones are also known as "Single Tones" "Signal Tones", or Burst Tones" usually for one-second in duration on each transmitter key up.  

Public Safety Agencies used this type of signaling because of the expense and/or the lack of the means for a remote control system (Microwave or Telco) between the remote repeater station(s) and the dispatch control point. This method of signaling is normally used in a multiple remote site system in a very large rural area.

In some cases, these tones (Usually 1450, 1750, and 2100 Hz) can be constant for use as a function or system status purposes on a remote control system (microwave or telco RTO/Pieceout circuit), behind the scenes to the radio user, and will not be heard, normally if the control circuit doesn't malfunction.

The 1000 Hz tone is normally used as a "Test Tone" for equipment repair and tuning/Alignments.

PT-T ID = Is a signalling method to identify the radio user that is transmitting at that specific time. For the Dispatcher the code would translate to the Unit's radio call sign on a display in front of the dispatcher.  A specific code is programed in each radio to identify the specific user. This specific code is audible to all users monitoring the channel. In the old days analog radios like the Saber Radios used by L.AP.D., it was a series of tone beeps heard upon each key up a.k.a. MDC signalling. In the Astro Digital days it became a squawk on each key up now known as PTT ID.

9 hours ago, WRZB493 said:

...but I also don't want to be an ignorant ass and hit a bunch of buttons that could annoy people who rely on the airwaves

IF there were a complete, codified, sanctified, canonized list of GMRS air wave rules AND you followed them all of the time AND you never made a mistake, you would still piss people off. A number of radio operators and keyboard warriors are cut from the same fabric. They will get butt hurt and will scream and whine but at the end of the day they are just lonely, sad people seeking attention. Try stuff, make mistakes, try to have fun doing what it is you want to do with your radios. If you do it enough you may even learn to enjoy the cries of the metaphorical basement dwellers.

• 4 months later...