Duplexer

JamesBrox

Question

16 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

@Sshannon Did you get that big ol tower up? The one you bought a couple of months ago?

No, I would feel too guilty putting it up before I get the cabin main floor finished.  Yesterday was a good day though.  I made headway on the bathroom.

I don’t see myself putting up the tower until next year sometime.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, Sshannon said:

How long is the cable between your duplexer and the antenna? You already said it is LMR400. Is is genuine Times-Microwave LMR400 or one of the many copies?

I know you're about tired of this thread as much as I am. But wanted to answer this. It's 50' of Messi & Paoloni LMR400 

22 hours ago, nokones said:

I have a Repeater and my Repeater setup is as follows:

Repeater - Vertex Standard EVX - R70-G7 403-470 MHz 40-Watt Analog/Digital - Tx - 462.625 MHz/Rx - 467.625 MHz

Receiver Port Connector - Female BNC

Transmitter Port Connector - Female "N" Connector

Antenna - Laird FG4605 5 dB Omni-Directional tip at 30 Feet AGL

Transmission Line - Times Microwave LMR400 27 Feet Total Run from the Polyphaser to a Termination Point at                       the Duplexer.  From the Polyphaser to the Female "N" Connector at the base of the Antenna approx. 20 Feet,                         including a drip loop, not to exceed total length of 25 Feet.

Polyphaser Lightning Arrestor with Gound to Existing Earth Grounding Point with 8 Gauge Wire.

Duplexer - EMR Corp #65316-0/MC(5G) - six cavity duplexer with female "N" Connector ports.

Duplexer Jumper Cables - Times Microwave Low Loss RG-8X Coaxial Bulk Cable 100 Feet in length ordered.

Receive High Port - 14 Inch Cable Length with Amphenol #112533 BNC Male Solderless Connector (Repeater)                      and Amphenol # 172135 "N" Male Solderless Connector (Duplexer Connector)

Transmit Low Port - 12 Inch Cable Length with Amphenol #172135 "N" Male Solderless Connectors on both                           ends.

Antenna Port - 12 Inch cable length with Amphenol #172135 "N" Male Solderless Connector (Duplexer) and                           Amphenol #18211510 PL259 UHF Male Solderless Connector to Mate with Antenna Transmission Feedline with                     an Amphenol #AML-83-1J Double UHF Barrel Connector.  (The Antenna Installer did not have a Female "N"                           Connector for a LMR400 Cable at the time of install so I was stuck with the PL259 UHF Male Connector)

NOTE:  ALL JUMPER CABLES WERE FABRICATED/ASSEMBLED BY A LOWLY LICENSED GMRS USER (ME) IN THE OLD                       PEOPLE COMMUNITY OF SUN CITY WEST ARIZONA

Thank you sir. Is there such animal as a repeater unit with a built-in duplexer?

32 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

I know you're about tired of this thread as much as I am. But wanted to answer this. It's 50' of Messi & Paoloni LMR400 

M&P makes good cable. They make about three different kinds for each type of cable, one with solid copper center conductor (Broadpro?), one with stranded copper center conductor (Ultraflex?), and one with copper clad aluminum center conductor (their lightweight “Airborne” coax.)

On the M&P cables I have, the shielding consists of copper foil and copper braid, which should reduce the chances of intermodulation that people sometimes claim for cables that have aluminum foil and copper braid. 

40 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

M&P makes good cable. They make about three different kinds for each type of cable, one with solid copper center conductor (Broadpro?), one with stranded copper center conductor (Ultraflex?), and one with copper clad aluminum center conductor (their lightweight “Airborne” coax.)

On the M&P cables I have, the shielding consists of copper foil and copper braid, which should reduce the chances of intermodulation that people sometimes claim for cables that have aluminum foil and copper braid. 

I believe it is the Ultraflex. Whichever Mr. Grindr recommend on his affiliate link. 

48 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Both Retevis and Midland make one. For Retevis it’s the RT-97 or RT-97s, which has an external port if you want to add an external controller/ID board. 

ok, I'll check them out. Can you give me the Midland models? Any reason the external port is important? Laymens terms.

Just now, JamesBrox said:

ok, I'll check them out. Any reason the external port is important? Laymens terms.

It’s one way to add an external controller that can automatically identify the repeater at the proper intervals while in use. 
But it’s not necessary if the only people using your repeater are people who are entitled to use the repeater operator’s call sign, as long as they identify themselves. 
Some people argue that a GMRS repeater is not required to identify.  I don’t believe the rules say that. 
Regardless, it’s unlikely anyone would ever get fined. 

8 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It’s one way to add an external controller that can automatically identify the repeater at the proper intervals while in use. 
But it’s not necessary if the only people using your repeater are people who are entitled to use the repeater operator’s call sign, as long as they identify themselves. 
Some people argue that a GMRS repeater is not required to identify.  I don’t believe the rules say that. 
Regardless, it’s unlikely anyone would ever get fined. 

sounds cool 

5 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Just google “Midland GMRS repeater”.

Honestly the Midland looks like it was built by the same manufacturer as the Retevis.
Midland just had a big sale but I think it is over now. 

Oh, you're talking about the small suitcase style repeater kits?

14 minutes ago, nokones said:

The Bird shows 2 tenths of a watt being reflected back into the radio because the antenna and transmission line is almost gnats-ass bitchin.

That's clear as mud. One better know ham talk if you're going be on a gmrs forum. Too funny. So the "bird" is what type of meter?

42 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

I'm looking for a build that is more permanent. I'm sure these units have their place. But looking into something more powerful.   

My repeater and antenna is permanent and legally you won't find too many repeaters that you can use in the Part 95 world. You can't exceed the maximum power input of 50 watts. 

Most UHF repeaters are usually at 40 watts of RF Output power.  However, there are Quantar repeaters that have up to 100 watts of RF Output power whereas you can set the RF power level to 50 watts to be legal but you're not going to gain that much more distance with the extra few watts.

A high gain antenna ill definitely help and there is no restriction on the ERP for the main 462/467 MHz channels. Before you buy a high gain antenna, checkout the technical spec sheet and see if the radiation pattern is what you're looking for.

8 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

That's clear as mud. One better know ham talk if you're going be on a gmrs forum. Too funny. So the "bird" is what type of meter?

I thought I read somewhere that you said you're a HAM? If you're a HAM with one of the three HAM licenses in the Amateur Radio Service, shouldn't you know that my mud is not that muddy and you should be able to see clear through the murk? I thought that murk stuff was on the HAM test?

I'm not a HAM, so I can't talk HAM talk.

4 minutes ago, nokones said:

My repeater and antenna is permanent and legally you won't find too many repeaters that you can use in the Part 95 world. You can't exceed the maximum power input of 50 watts. 

Most UHF repeaters are usually at 40 watts of RF Output power.  However, there are Quantar repeaters that have up to 100 watts of RF Output power whereas you can set the RF power level to 50 watts to be legal but you're not going to gain that much more distance with the extra few watts.

A high gain antenna ill definitely help and there is no restriction on the ERP for the main 462/467 MHz channels. Before you buy a high gain antenna, checkout the technical spec sheet and see if the radiation pattern is what you're looking for.

I see. I live in relatively flat country, along the coast. So I went with the GMRS pre-tuned Ed Fong. Any experience with that brand/antenna?

2 minutes ago, nokones said:

I thought I read somewhere that you said you're a HAM? If you're a HAM with one of the three HAM licenses in the Amateur Radio Service, shouldn't you know that my mud is not that muddy and you should be able to see clear through the murk? I thought that murk stuff was on the HAM test?

I'm not a HAM, so I can't talk HAM talk.

I'm NOT a ham. That's why I'm on a gmrs forum asking questions. 

8 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

I see. I live in relatively flat country, along the coast. So I went with the GMRS pre-tuned Ed Fong. Any experience with that brand/antenna?

No experience with that Brand. I kinda stick with name Brand that are used in the Part 90 world on Public Safety systems.

Ok, sorry, my mistake for thinking you're a HAM.

Relative flat area along the coast you must be in Southern California from Santa Barbara to San Diego or its on the East Coast. There is no relative flat area along the west coast from Santa Barbara to Canada.

6 minutes ago, nokones said:

No experience with that Brand. I kinda stick with name Brand that are used in the Part 90 world on Public Safety systems.

Ok, sorry, my mistake for thinking you're a HAM.

No problem. I would never lower myself to joining this forum if I were a HAM. It would probably feel like hanging out with high schoolers, while in your early twenties. 

2 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

No problem. I would never lower myself to joining this forum if I were a HAM. It would probably feel like hanging out with high schoolers in your early twenties. 

You're absolutely correct and that is why I am a lowly GMRS and Part 90 Business Radio Service user. However, that was kinda rude.

11 minutes ago, nokones said:

You're absolutely correct and that is why I am a lowly GMRS and Part 90 Business Radio Service user. However, that was kinda rude.

Your response? Man, don't worry about that. You know these interactions of these type forums can easily get misconscrewed. It's all good. Anyway I was asking about your meter. It's reading SWR or watts? I can see watts but what does that mean in performance of the repeater?