BAOFENG GM-15 Pro Question

WRXG894

Hello, new guy here first post. I have an FCC license for GMRS and want to buy two handhelds for my wife and I to use, and to use with friends when hunting or out in the woods, etc.

I don't know much about radios and don't want to spend a ton, so was hoping to get some feedback on the BAOFENG GM-15 Pro radios?

Also, would a better antenna help any? Should I get the programming cable as well?

Thanks for any info and help!

Welcome to the exciting and dynamic GMRS lifestyle!

The GM-15 Pro is a decent, low-cost radio. It has just as many farz as any other 5W handheld radio and dollar for dollar it's not a bad choice for a beginner

The antenna that comes with it is fine, and based on the (much) testing I have done, it is doubtful that replacing it would make any difference that you would ever be able to notice, but definitely get the programming cable in you plan to program in a lot of repeaters or frequencies for monitoring. 

25 minutes ago, WRXG894 said:

Also, any idea why I am not getting email notifications of replies to this thread, even though I am subscribed to it?

Click on your icon, account settings.  Then “Manage Followed Content” and adjust your preferences for how you wish to be notified.

I have a couple of Abree AR-771 antennas that came with my Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios but I haven't tested them compared to the stock rubber duck antennas.

I can say that an actual Nagoya 771 antenna is an improvement over the stock rubber duck on my Baofeng GT-5R dual band radio.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

I haven't tested them compared to the stock rubber duck antennas.

I can't testify to authentic Nagoya but the Abbree 771 is definitely an improvement to the stock antenna. I would like to get the "tacti-cool" antenna some day and try it out. I've heard that it is the best HT antenna for the Baofeng radios.

2 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

I can't testify to authentic Nagoya but the Abbree 771 is definitely an improvement to the stock antenna. I would like to get the "tacti-cool" antenna some day and try it out. I've heard that it is the best HT antenna for the Baofeng radios.

Good to know. I didn't even bother with the rubber duck antennas since I put the Abbree 771 antennas on right away.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, WRXG894 said:

Hello, new guy here first post. I have an FCC license for GMRS and want to buy two handhelds for my wife and I to use, and to use with friends when hunting or out in the woods, etc.

I don't know much about radios and don't want to spend a ton, so was hoping to get some feedback on the BAOFENG GM-15 Pro radios?

Also, would a better antenna help any? Should I get the programming cable as well?

I purchased one and I agree with OffRoaderX. It's a good radio. I was able to talk about 4.3 miles away with no problems at all. I did get the Abree 717 I think it antenna.. It came with the package.. The antenna and ear listening thing and separate mic, etc.. I've not used the accessories, but the radio itself is a dandy! I would easily recommend it..  I also purchased two tid radios, the cheaper one's and they work well, but I don't think the antenna's come off, or I can't see how they do, although they look like they have a small allen wrench screw that may need to be loosened, but I haven't tried. The GM15 would be the choice though if I could only have one of them.. 
Hope that helps! 

On 10/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, WRXG894 said:

Almost forgot.. You for sure want the programming cable. It makes it much easier to use.. I downloaded the radiodidity gm30 pro software and it worked great.. Added channels, named them, etc.. It's very easy to use software on my windows 10 machine! Very similar to chirp..