[Open Thread] What Radio "Facts", Myths, or Lies Would You Like To See Tested?

OffRoaderX

4 hours ago, wrci350 said:

I'm not following you.  Perhaps I misinterpreted you, but you seem to be saying that *any* Part 90 radio is automatically OK to use for GMRS.

The way I read the rules, a Part 90 radio *can* be OK to use on GMRS ... but only if it has also been certified under Part 95 E.  That's not automatic, and most current Part 90 radios do not have Part 95 certification.

What am I missing?

The quote was specifically about the XPR, APX and XTS.  Not all LMR radios.

I never checked on the XPR because I never wanted or owned one.  However I know with certainty the the APX and XTS were both certified for General Mobile Radio and Broadcast services under 47 CFR Parts 22, 73, 74, 90, 95 and 97.  Also, the XTS was granted its certification in 2003.  I am not sure what date the APX was certified.  It's been awhile since I looked.

The only time the APX and XTS would not be usable is IF they are programed to use Part 97 frequencies.  Then, only that specific radio no longer has a valid certification for Part 95, until such time that it is returned to a state that would otherwise be compliant, meaning no more amateur frequencies.

Again... I am no lawyer and I could be 100% wrong.  This is just how I have interpreted the rules after doing some reading and consulting with people way smarter than me who do this stuff for a living.

Then, what does Part 95.1761, sub paragraph (c) mean?

Copy attached.

(c)No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

Didn't realize we were talking about particular radios; I thought it was about Part 90 radios in general.

I've seen lots of people recommend certain Kenwood or Icom (Part 90) radios since they were Part 95 type accepted pre-2017.  Can't recall any similar recommendations for Motorola radios.

My understanding of "grandfathering" is that they would be OK on GMRS even with other frequencies in them since they were type accepted under the old rules.

I think the only way a Part 90 radio could get Part 95 E type acceptance today is if it was not capable of transmitting on amateur radio frequencies, and the vendor would have to submit for 95 E acceptance too.