Howdy there everyone, I am just getting into GMRS as of this month… and have some kit questions.

WRYF357

Question

To put it shortly I am very green to the subject of radios. This month I went and purchased some rugged radio handheld units and a 50w mobile for my truck. It all seems to be working great from my perspective but I would like to ask since there are so many more experienced users here if they are considered to be a reputable brand or if there is other brands that people recommend. Kindly WRYF357. 

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, WRYF357 said:

To put it shortly I am very green to the subject of radios. This month I went and purchased some rugged radio handheld units and a 50w mobile for my truck. It all seems to be working great from my perspective but I would like to ask since there are so many more experienced users here if they are considered to be a reputable brand or if there is other brands that people recommend. Kindly WRYF357. 

The two most commonly mentioned brands of mobile GMRS certified radios are Midland and Wouxun.  Both have good reputations. Midland is an American company that sells radios manufactured overseas.  Wouxun is a Chinese company, if that matters to you. I have older Midland GMRS handhelds that are okay.  I also have a Wouxun KG-805 that seems to be more solid construction.

My favorite is a Garmin Rhino handheld radio.  It’s made in Taiwan and it’s rugged with GPS mapping features that I really like but there’s no matching mobile radio. It’s also quite expensive, but it has features I like.  It’s very rarely mentioned in these forums.