UV9G won't TX to repeater

WRYR799

Question

I'm new to everything and needing some help. I just got two Baofeng UV9Gs and am trying to connect to a couple different repeaters. I'm sure its operator error on my part but I can't seem to TX to any repeaters. I can hear traffic on them but when I go to TX I get a beep when pressing the PTT and no transmission goes out. I don't have a computer right now to use CHIRPS so I'm stuck with doing things from the radio's menu. 

Here is how I did it:

1. In VFO mode I tune to the repeater frequency. 

2. I go to the T-CTCS and put in the tone listed. Both input and output tones are listed as the same.

3. In R-CTCS I put the same tone.

4. Go to Memory Channel and save for Repeater1.

I can now hear traffic but can't transmit. No indicator at all the radio that it's transmiting at all. No single bars, no change of the backlight color. Nothing. Just a beep when pressing PTT. I should be well within range of two open repeaters and nothing on either one. Both radios do the same thing. I'm almost sure it's something I'm doing wrong. 

Once again. I'm totally new to everything so please put things in idiot terms. Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I don’t normally program front of radio but I think the following information will be correct for you. The beep you hear likely means your TX is out of frequency. A couple thoughts come to mind for me. The radio automatically sets the TX for repeater channels with the required +5 offset. If you programmed the input frequency with the offset already then it may be off do to this. Also does the frequency you programmed belong on repeater channel one (462.550)?  I don’t believe you need to program repeaters in VFO mode. The preset repeater channels already have the appropriate frequency so you just need to pick the right repeater channel in channel mode and set the tones. The last thing I can think of is this radio won’t TX in VFO mode, only in channel mode. I hope this helps. 

Edited by WRUU653
grammar/spelling miss typed info

5 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

This ^  .. you CANT program a repeater in VFO mode on most (all?) GMRS radios.  You have to use a Repeater channel/"DIY" channel. 

I probably didn't word it right. What was trying say was I saved those settings to the channel reserved for Repeater1 or channel 23 on my radio. I feel like there is something else I need to do in the menu I just don't know what it is. Some other setting to change or a feature to turn on or off. Oh I also tried changing the off set +5 from the repeater frequency. Maybe if someone can just walk me though it it would help...

These are the general steps:

• Select the correct repeater channel
  • Enter the TX tone, and optionally, the RX tone

Thats it.

You dont need to enter any frequencies anywhere or do anything with the offset because if you did the first step correctly, the frequencies and offset are built-in.   Not sure what you've done, but it sounds like you didnt do something right. Either that or you have a defective radio, and i doubt you have a defective radio.

As @OffRoaderX laid out those are the steps. Without knowing what was done exactly you may be at the point where doing a reset on the radio and starting over is your best bet. If you had chirp we could look at the program and see what happened but we’re just guessing at this point. Again the beep noise when pressing the PTT and in channel mode is an indication that you are trying to TX out of frequency.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:15 PM, OffRoaderX said:

These are the general steps:

• Select the correct repeater channel
  • Enter the TX tone, and optionally, the RX tone

Thats it.

You dont need to enter any frequencies anywhere or do anything with the offset because if you did the first step correctly, the frequencies and offset are built-in.   Not sure what you've done, but it sounds like you didnt do something right. Either that or you have a defective radio, and i doubt you have a defective radio.

That did it! Thanks!