GMRS Call log book

WRFF835

3 hours ago, WRFF835 said:

Has any one ever think of making a GMRS call log app for IOS & Android just like the Ham radio operators have so you can log the call sines and there names how that you have talked to on drifrent repeaters that you go on when you travel just a idea 😁

58 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

No. GMRS is not about that. Thats what Ham is for. 

@WRFF835 - although it’s not something very many people do, it’s your radio and your time.  If it’s important to you, go for it.  I don’t know why you couldn’t just use one of the existing apps, although probably none have been programmed to automatically look up GMRS users.

6 hours ago, WRFF835 said:

Has any one ever think of making a GMRS call log app for IOS & Android just like the Ham radio operators have so you can log the call sines and there names how that you have talked to on drifrent repeaters that you go on when you travel just a idea 😁

There's apps for literally everything you can think of. It's not a bad idea to keep track of people you talk to. My suggestion is to either develop an app or find someone who can, throw it out there and see if anyone bites. Think about this. You thought of it, so obviously there is some interest in it. 

• 7 months later...

I'm setting up a simple logbook on Excel, and will just fill it out as I go, I guess a composition notebook will do same. I'm just getting started in the hobby, so I have a long way to go. Enjoy .

5 minutes ago, WSAL750 said:

I'm setting up a simple logbook on Excel, and will just fill it out as I go, I guess a composition notebook will do same. I'm just getting started in the hobby, so I have a long way to go. Enjoy .

Most people do not approach GMRS as a hobby to itself.  They’re not really interested in making and logging QSOs.  I use GMRS as a communication tool while pursuing my other hobbies. But, there’s nothing wrong with what you suggest. Just don’t expect QSO cards or log verifications like you get on QRZ.com

A friend of mine uses a composition book for logging his ham QSOs.  I use the logbook built into HRD for my ham QSOs. I used to just use QRZ.com

ARRL makes a nice compact paper booklet for logging.  Amazon has it for about $8.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:58 AM, WRFF835 said:

Most other replies have already noted that the majority of GMRS users don't log contacts. It wouldn't be hard to make a google sheets or excel spreadsheet to log contacts if you do want to do so.  Callsign lookup would be easy enough here on mygmrs.com or the fcc ULS database.  In my case I can't see the need to use repeaters when traveling except for Off-Road runs, where there's a repeater handy, JIC. Most my use of the service is for mobile to base. In town mostly simplex, with some repeater use, to call home, as does my wife (she has zero interest in two way radio other than this). Up north, it's great for mobile to base and base to boat on simplex as we're out of cell phone range on most areas around the cabin.  I do have a couple friends I chat with, very occasionally, on local in town repeaters, and one net I try to check into when I can.

But I have no desire or need to log any of this radio traffic. Same goes when I talk to people on 2 meter amateur. Mostly people I know and as most FM and repeater contacts don't qualify for awards, no reason to log them.

Dave WRJG283

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 4:08 PM, Davichko5650 said:

Most other replies have already noted that the majority of GMRS users don't log contacts. It wouldn't be hard to make a google sheets or excel spreadsheet to log contacts if you do want to do so.  Callsign lookup would be easy enough here on mygmrs.com or the fcc ULS database.  In my case I can't see the need to use repeaters when traveling except for Off-Road runs, where there's a repeater handy, JIC. Most my use of the service is for mobile to base. In town mostly simplex, with some repeater use, to call home, as does my wife (she has zero interest in two way radio other than this). Up north, it's great for mobile to base and base to boat on simplex as we're out of cell phone range on most areas around the cabin.  I do have a couple friends I chat with, very occasionally, on local in town repeaters, and one net I try to check into when I can.

But I have no desire or need to log any of this radio traffic. Same goes when I talk to people on 2 meter amateur. Mostly people I know and as most FM and repeater contacts don't qualify for awards, no reason to log them.

Dave WRJG283

There are very few people in my area on the radio, the ones I have talked to are people I don't know. I just figured it would be good to know if I have talked to them before . 

12 minutes ago, WSAL750 said:

There are very few people in my area on the radio, the ones I have talked to are people I don't know. I just figured it would be good to know if I have talked to them before . 

Think your best best then is an Excel or Google Numbers type spreadsheet. Easy enough to whip up with fields like Date_Time_Callsign_Name_Location  etc

then with the call lookup here on the website, can fill in most the details...

On 6/29/2024 at 11:59 PM, WRYC373 said:

If anyone ever gives me GMRS QSO card I promise to hang it on the refrigerator.

I only have them for my Amateur Callsign - suppose I could cross that out and write in the GMRS one.  So rarely talk to random people that there'd be no reason to do so I think.  Besides, the Fridge here  is for putting up those Grandkid drawings and photos!