New to GMRS - Few Questions

Emsflyer84

Ok, so I’ve been using Amateur radio for a while now, not a heavy user by any means and still consider myself pretty green in that field as well, even though I’ve had my license for a few years. Just got my GMRS because I joined a local off-roading / overland group and GMRS is the radio standard for group rides. Now I’m looking to get more into GMRS but I’m finding out a few things….. Seems to me like GMRS is really better for specific use cases, when more then one person who know each other are using the system for a specific purpose.  There are a few open repeaters around me but it seems like I need permission to use them. I’ve requested that but haven’t had any responses.  I get the logic, the repeaters are privately owned, sometimes for family use and people might not want a bunch random people taking up their air time.  So the sense I’m getting is that GMRS isn’t so much for random people like like me to jump on and chat with strangers.  Just getting my feet wet and curious to learn more, let me know if I’m on track here! 

2 minutes ago, Emsflyer84 said:

Ok, so I’ve been using Amateur radio for a while now, not a heavy user by any means and still consider myself pretty green in that field as well, even though I’ve had my license for a few years. Just got my GMRS because I joined a local off-roading / overland group and GMRS is the radio standard for group rides. Now I’m looking to get more into GMRS but I’m finding out a few things….. Seems to me like GMRS is really better for specific use cases, when more then one person who know each other are using the system for a specific purpose.  There are a few open repeaters around me but it seems like I need permission to use them. I’ve requested that but haven’t had any responses.  I get the logic, the repeaters are privately owned, sometimes for family use and people might not want a bunch random people taking up their air time.  So the sense I’m getting is that GMRS isn’t so much for random people like like me to jump on and chat with strangers.  Just getting my feet wet and curious to learn more, let me know if I’m on track here! 

There are some exceptions, but for the most part you’re correct.  If you want to get on a radio and make contacts with random strangers, that’s perfectly acceptable (even encouraged) in ham radio.  In that case the radio activity is the hobby.

Far fewer people do that on GMRS, but some do.  I use my GMRS radios for communications to my friends when we are enjoying some other recreational activity, such as amateur rocketry.  Others use them to facilitate communications while they’re riding motorcycles or rock crawling in jeeps or hiking, etc.  In that case, the GMRS radio is a tool to be used to help the enjoyment of another hobby.  At least that’s how I think of it.

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

There are some exceptions, but for the most part you’re correct.  If you want to get on a radio and make contacts with random strangers, that’s perfectly acceptable (even encouraged) in ham radio.  In that case the radio activity is the hobby.

Far fewer people do that on GMRS, but some do.  I use my GMRS radios for communications to my friends when we are enjoying some other recreational activity, such as amateur rocketry.  Others use them to facilitate communications while they’re riding motorcycles or rock crawling in jeeps or hiking, etc.  In that case, the GMRS radio is a tool to be used to help the enjoyment of another hobby.  At least that’s how I think of it.

Thanks, this all makes sense, and I'll stick with ham for casual conversations and keep my GMRS for my group off-roading trips, etc.

8 minutes ago, Emsflyer84 said:

Thanks, this all makes sense, and I'll stick with ham for casual conversations and keep my GMRS for my group off-roading trips, etc.

Don’t let my opinions constrain you.  There are certainly GMRS clubs, just as there are ham clubs.  As long as you mostly follow the regulations I don’t think there’s anything wrong with enjoying your radios however you want. If I were in an area with an active GMRS club, I’m sure I would have responded differently. 😁

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

Don’t let my opinions constrain you.  There are certainly GMRS clubs, just as there are ham clubs.  As long as you mostly follow the regulations I don’t think there’s anything wrong with enjoying your radios however you want. If I were in an area with an active GMRS club, I’m sure I would have responded differently. 😁

No problem, doesn't seem like there is too much active GMRS use in my area, but plenty of active HAM clubs.    

As for random chit-chat, it really varies on the Area. As for repeater owners responding in a timely manner they will eventually. Some do right away, and for some reason, some take their sweet time. A matter of fact, I sent a permission request almost three months ago, and I finally got a response yesterday. Just be patience and don't be bashful.

Each user dictates what they get from GMRS. Just key up and do your thing and make it happen. Believe me, others are waiting for you to key up and talk.

Also, depending on the area, there are GMRS clubs throughout the country, some very active and involved in community, some not so active.

5 hours ago, Emsflyer84 said:

There are a few open repeaters around me but it seems like I need permission to use them. I’ve requested that but haven’t had any responses.  I get the logic, the repeaters are privately owned, sometimes for family use and people might not want a bunch random people taking up their air time.  

First, it is important that you understand that I know less than you, but I will offer some info on one point.  I have only had a GMRS license for a couple of weeks.  I found a repeater on RepeaterBook, and there was a menu option that said request access even though that repeater said "open" access.  I did not hear back, and as I thought it over, I figured it was open to the public and started using it.  I was only on it a few minutes at 5:30 AM, talking to my adult son, testing the limits of the setup as he drove to work.  The owner of the repeater jumped on and asked if he could join the conversation.  I ended up talking to him for an hour.  He said he never saw my request because it is an open repeater, and he is glad to see it being used.

This makes me wonder if the "Request Access" is a standard option OR if it is sometimes put there in error as a default or in the beginning when the repeater is first set up.  I think if it is a private family repeater, it is easy just to make it closed access.  If it says "Open," I would take it at its word.  If anyone complains, just inform them their repeater is improperly designated and move on.  I see that as their problem, not yours.  It worked out great for me because that repeater gets me over an impenetrable ridge that is 1 mile to my south and gives me county-wide coverage.  In addition, I made a great contact.

On 10/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, Tiercel said:

First, it is important that you understand that I know less than you, but I will offer some info on one point.  I have only had a GMRS license for a couple of weeks.  I found a repeater on RepeaterBook, and there was a menu option that said request access even though that repeater said "open" access.  I did not hear back, and as I thought it over, I figured it was open to the public and started using it.  I was only on it a few minutes at 5:30 AM, talking to my adult son, testing the limits of the setup as he drove to work.  The owner of the repeater jumped on and asked if he could join the conversation.  I ended up talking to him for an hour.  He said he never saw my request because it is an open repeater, and he is glad to see it being used.

This makes me wonder if the "Request Access" is a standard option OR if it is sometimes put there in error as a default or in the beginning when the repeater is first set up.  I think if it is a private family repeater, it is easy just to make it closed access.  If it says "Open," I would take it at its word.  If anyone complains, just inform them their repeater is improperly designated and move on.  I see that as their problem, not yours.  It worked out great for me because that repeater gets me over an impenetrable ridge that is 1 mile to my south and gives me county-wide coverage.  In addition, I made a great contact.

I never ceased to be amazed at the control freakism some repeater owners display.  Thankfully, most areas have at least one like the guy you talked with who was the owner and from the sound of it, a really cool guy.  I chuckle at the numerous repeaters listed on here with a 5 or so mile range and listed as "permission required".  Seriously?  Do you really expect such a glut of operators within that tiny footprint that you need to control access to it?  I know, they are totally within their rights to require permission but it is interesting to do amateur psych evaluations on some of these guys based on their control levels on their repeaters.

Then you have some who go into great detail as to what can or cannot be said, how to say it, and even want to know what type radios you are using before they deem you worthy to operate on their system.  I can see a simple "ID and follow the FCC rules" or "keep it family friendly, no profanity", but some of these "thou shalt and thou shalt nots" are comical.

Anyway, I am glad you and your son connected with a really great repeater owner.