GMRS Family use and ID'ing rule

Having just (within the past week) received my GMRS license, I'm aware of the rule(s) for ID'ing, and I'm sure it's not like the FCC is going to hunt me down if I don't follow this to the letter BUT:

IF GMRS (and the lesser FRS) is intended for 'families and groups doing things' and my license covers the loose definition of 'family' according the FCC, do other family members, such as young children, have to ID when I give her a GMRS capable radio to use, or can I "ID on behalf of" even if from a separate HT?

**And before the internets troll me - yes, my kindergarten and pre-k kids go out with us on trails hiking, and have even done some passenger seat off-roading, so I see no reason why she wouldn't carry a radio and use it just like the rest of us.

My answer... use one the FRS frequencies and turn down the power on the radios you give your children/family (or get actual FRS radios). 1 watt may be all you need.

But in my opinion. You ID'ing for your family is enough. No reason to make your kids just say your callsign again. You are ID'ing for the group of family members to which your callsign grants them permissions.

30 minutes ago, WRUE915 said:

My answer... use one the FRS frequencies and turn down the power on the radios you give your children/family (or get actual FRS radios). 1 watt may be all you need.

So this is a part of the reason we are moving to GMRS. Even with the newer rule of 2 watts (never measured any of our bubble packs however), we’ve had “on the edge of signal” scenarios and other cases for needed the extended range.

Wattage and, probably more likely the real solution, changing/tuning antenna fixes this for us (validated with other GMRS users in our party)

Example: “capture the flag” hikes, where the flag is a fixed person as a “base station” and we want to maintain comms for safety - we’ve gone as far as 4-5 miles into valleys and hills.

I’d tend towards the same opinion you have, ID for the group as opposed the individual, was curious what others thought, so thank you!

image.thumb.png.57080d24440869e87e6eb19db0347d6f.png

... that said...  I don't think the FCC is wandering around in the woods looking for any hikers to prosecute.  Surely they have bigger fish. 

One of the other gentz on this forum mentioned he had access to the public FCC database on GMRS rule infractions, and he said seemingly to date... there are zero.

in any case, I'd say you are likely safe if you ID for the lot.   But if you get caught... you don't know me.  :) 

1 hour ago, WRZE000 said:

One of the other gentz on this forum mentioned he had access to the public FCC database on GMRS rule infractions, and he said seemingly to date... there are zero.

The FCC database is public and can be accessed/searched here: https://www.fcc.gov/enforcement/orders

Since 2012, there have been 0 enforcements for simple rule-breaking such as JUST transmitting without a GMRS license, only about 6 enforcements for more serious rule-breaking on CB, GMRS & ham.

3 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

The FCC database is public and can be accessed/searched here: https://www.fcc.gov/enforcement/orders

Since 2012, there have been 0 enforcements for simple rule-breaking such as JUST transmitting without a GMRS license, only about 6 enforcements for more serious rule-breaking on CB, GMRS & ham.

Yeah, there is this as well.  And even if some GMRS Karen were to call the FCC, if you are on a shared GMRS / FRS frequency, and actually got a response from the call with the FCC inquiring what happened.  You just tell them that the minor's all had FRS radios.  At that point the situation goes away.  I don't believe there is any age limitation on FRS since it's a FAMILY RADIO SERVICE by name.  ANd of course no license is available.  We as GMRS users can communicate with FRS users so you are good on all levels. 

And what radios the kids are actually carrying isn't going to be known by the FCC since they aren't going to be tracking through the woods looking for kids carrying APX8000 radios, I am thinking you are pretty safe.

Truth is as you sit and look at it, the FCC sort of screwed up with putting FRS and GMRS on the same frequencies with regards to ID enforcement.  If you are on a GMRS repeater, then it's pretty cut and dried.  You are operating within the capacity of your GMRS license.  Outside of that.  Since there is no specific text in the regulations that state once you have a license that you are always operating within the scope of that license.  That would apply as long as you were not operating any sort of base station at a higher power with an external antenna.  FRS radios of course have no ability to have an external antenna, so be mindful of that. 

So the way the regulations read.  If you are in possession of FRS radios and GMRS radios, no one has any idea what radio you were using when you were talking unless directly observed.  So what did you use?  Only for you to know and there are other laws on the books that apply to requirements of self incrimination.  So there is that too.

Further, and yeah, I am splitting hairs, but I don't know if there is a requirement for a specific radio to ID or if there is just a general requirement for an ID when it comes to family use.  Meaning, can YOU ID for both stations during a conversation so that it's aired?  I don't know, but it's completely possible, you would need to ask the FCC for clarification.