B-TECH GMRS PRO - Scan Question

Emsflyer84

Question

Hey all, new to GMRS and got my first radio, the BTech GMRS Pro. Still trying to work through all the features, but I had a question specifically on scanning. If I don’t do anything except program a couple local repeaters in, leaving all the other factory programming alone, what is actually being scanned? I know there are several banks I can program, for example I think I can program any VHF channels into another bank, just not sure if it scans everything by default? Do I need to tell it what to scan? If I just press scan is it scanning all the GMRS channels and repeater channels? 

Also, hole scanning I’ve noticed it will stop randomly like it’s picking up a transmission, but always on the last channel I was using. In this case below, I has been using GMRS 1, then I started scanning and it randomly stops on GMRS 1, like the squelch needs to be adjusted, but I messed with that and it still does the same thing. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all!  

6 answers to this question

I think most radios will scan the standard GMRS channels out of the box. If it is stopping on a particular channel it is because it is picking up a signal. You can play with the squelch and see what happens. The lower it is set the more you will hear. If it is bothering you with noise then turn it up.

If using it in the car as shown you will not get the best performance unless you get an outboard antenna on the roof. The metal box of the car will block a lot of signal, especially below the window level.  Also for best performance the antenna should be vertical.

10 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

I think most radios will scan the standard GMRS channels out of the box. If it is stopping on a particular channel it is because it is picking up a signal. You can play with the squelch and see what happens. The lower it is set the more you will hear. If it is bothering you with noise then turn it up.

If using it in the car as shown you will not get the best performance unless you get an outboard antenna on the roof. The metal box of the car will block a lot of signal, especially below the window level.  Also for best performance the antenna should be vertical.

Thanks for the reply. I played with the squelch and turned it up with the same issue.  The strange part is it happens on whatever the last channel I was using. If I was on Repeater 15, then when I start scanning it stops randomly on repeater 15. If I was on GMRS 1 and start scanning, it will randomly stop on GMRS 1, etc…. 

46 minutes ago, Emsflyer84 said:

Thanks for the reply. I played with the squelch and turned it up with the same issue.  The strange part is it happens on whatever the last channel I was using. If I was on Repeater 15, then when I start scanning it stops randomly on repeater 15. If I was on GMRS 1 and start scanning, it will randomly stop on GMRS 1, etc…. 

Your radio has the ability to occasionally send it’s location.  If so I would assume that would happen on whatever channel you were tuned to before you started the scan.  Maybe that activity causes it to stop.

19 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Ya I don't have that radio but someone that does may come along soon. Does it do this when you are not in the car? Sometimes signals generated by the car electronics can cause noise and interference.

Good luck.

So, plying around with scanning in my house, haven’t had this issue yet so could be car related.