Baofeng gm-15 pro GMRS

WRZF618

Question

I'm trying to figure out why my radios don't talk to each other.

I've search all over for the answer but, nothing seems to work.

I have two of these radios. 

I've connected one of the repeater channels to the Nashville repeater frequency 462.575, and set both input/output tones to 141.3. I can get the static return of the repeater on both radios when I transmit from one radio. But I can't transmit voice from one radio to the other. One source told me the radios were too close together, so I walked down the street a few blocks, but still nothing, only getting the repeater static still on both radios.

I noticed the repeater is on channel 16, but I'm using a different channel but on the 462.575 frequency and the 141.3 tones. Do I have to use the channel of the repeater?

13 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, WRZF618 said:

image.thumb.png.a98a3c35d8ce940ec66efea6c75defe2.png

I'd like to use the repeater to extend my range out to say 15 miles. I'm trying to program both radios in order to do that. I have created this channel on both. I get repeater return static, but the radios do not communicate with each other.

Change the RX tone to none and see if it helps. Also, keep some distance between the two radios. 

Are you trying to get the radios to talk directly to each other or through the repeater?

If you are trying to talk direct, then use a non-repeater channel.  It can still be channel 16 (462.5750) but keep in mind there are two "versions" of that channel, one for direct communication and one for talking through a repeater.

Of course if you talk on one radio to the repeater, the other radio should be able to hear the repeater output.  It's also possible that you are just out of range of the repeater and all you hear is static BUT you should be able to hit the Nashville 575 repeater from your home location.

Repeater channels transmit to the repeater in the 467 MHz range and receive from it in the 462 MHz range. They’re usually numbered something like 16RP or even 23-30.
For communicating between two radios directly you must use the simplex frequencies which are 15-22. Both transmit and receive are on one frequency in the 462 range (usually). 

Edited by Sshannon
Correct a mistake in the channel I listed.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:26 PM, WRFN864 said:

Are you trying to get the radios to talk directly to each other or through the repeater?

If you are trying to talk direct, then use a non-repeater channel.  It can still be channel 16 (462.5750) but keep in mind there are two "versions" of that channel, one for direct communication and one for talking through a repeater.

Of course if you talk on one radio to the repeater, the other radio should be able to hear the repeater output.  It's also possible that you are just out of range of the repeater and all you hear is static BUT you should be able to hit the Nashville 575 repeater from your home location.

Im trying to talk direct through the repeater. Planning a mountain hiking trip and just want to ensure I have things setup correctly.

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

@WRZF618 Just to be clear, channels 1-22 are intended for simplex(point-to-point). Channels 23+ are duplex(using repeaters). In simplex, you don't have to use tones but you can if you want.

image.thumb.png.a98a3c35d8ce940ec66efea6c75defe2.png

I'd like to use the repeater to extend my range out to say 15 miles. I'm trying to program both radios in order to do that. I have created this channel on both. I get repeater return static, but the radios do not communicate with each other.

@WRZF618 How far are you from the repeater? You will usually be able to receive from it further than you can transmit to it. Also, get someone to help you and take both radios outside at a distance of approximately front yard to back yard may be enough. Then see if you can communicate between the two.

And like @Sshannon said, remove the receive tone until you have everything else working.

If I understand you correctly, the two radios will NOT talk to each other on that frequency pair. You need a third radio in the mix, the repeater. A repeater consists of two radios set to receive on one frequency and then transmit what is received on the other frequency. 

What you are trying to do is use a split channel where the radios receive on one frequency and then transmit on the other frequency but not simultaneously. In order to do this, the frequency assignments in one of the radios must be reversed so its receiver is on the other's transmit frequency. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Change the RX tone to none and see if it helps. Also, keep some distance between the two radios. 

Thanks - I removed the Rx Tone and went about two blocks and was able to get the radios to communicate, not very well, but at least it went through. Interestingly though, before removing the Rx tone, I was able to hear others on the air, just nothing between these two radios.

2 minutes ago, WRZF618 said:

Thanks - I removed the Rx Tone and went about two blocks and was able to get the radios to communicate, not very well, but at least it went through. Interestingly though, before removing the Rx tone, I was able to hear others on the air, just nothing between these two radios.

It might have been that your two radios were just too close together. The transmission of one can deafen the receiver on the other. 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:34 PM, Sshannon said:

It might have been that your two radios were just too close together. The transmission of one can deafen the receiver on the other. 

This exactly. I've not had any luck talking through a repeater to another HT when they are very close together. Get some separation from the two units and then try.