split tones?

WRZF693

Question

Hi Folks.. 
I have a question.. What are split tones and how do I use them? Also, I noticed when I asked permission for a repeater, it shows that the repeater uses two different frequencies.. How do I use my radio to transmit on one frequency and listen on the other? Is this split tones? 
Also, the person who gave me repeater access sent a reply via email with the two different frequencies and then listed DPL some number.. for both frequencies? Is this the DCS Code ? What is DPL  ?  I have a channel that is a repeater channel for one of the frequencies, but I don't have a channel that has two frequencies so I'm stumped how to do this.. Any help would be appreciated ! Sorry if this is a dumb question.. 
Thanks in advance.. 
Tim

14 answers to this question

All repeaters use two frequencies and all GMRS radios have special repeater-channels just for this - so all you have to do is figure out which channel coincides with the frequencies, and use that channel.. GMRS repeater channels & frequencies are all standard so Google is very helpful with this.  If you are trying to do this with a ham radio instead of a GMRS radio, then I can see that you are in for a difficult time.

DPL, DTC and DCS tones are all different words for the same thing.  CTC, CTCSS and PL are also all words for the same thing - they do the same things as DPL, DTC, and DCS, but slightly differently. 

None of this has anything to do with split-tones, which is simply one tone or type of tone on the transmit frequency of a repeater and a different one on the receive frequency.

In order to reduce interference and feedback loops, repeaters use two frequencies: One to transmit and one to receive. The good new: Your radio's repeater channel is programmed for this :)

You receive on the listed frequency and when you transmit, the radio shifts to the transmit (the receivers receive) frequency automatically (easy enough as the offset in GMRS is the same on all channels.

Tones reduce interferences by keeping the radio silent unless the signal includes the right tone. If repeaters use different tone for receive and transmit, they are said to use split tones.

DPL is just a type of tone and your software or manual can help you with that :)

8 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

I don't have a channel that has two frequencies

I'm not going to write you an essay here about repeater frequencies and tones, because you are going to get a lot of those. One thing that may help though is to know what kind of radio you are using.

18 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Thank you Randy for clearing that up.. I really appreciate it kind sir.. Love your channel by the way! 
So, I'm about 35 miles away from the repeater and I wasn't able to hit it or another one even further away, but I live in the boonies with loads of forests and factories, etc, .. So I might have to build my own repeater. My friend owns a building downtown that is really tall and I think I can use it to do so.. Anyway, thanks again Randy.. Appreciate it very much sir! 

Tim

All repeaters use two frequencies and all GMRS radios have special repeater-channels just for this - so all you have to do is figure out which channel coincides with the frequencies, and use that channel.. GMRS repeater channels & frequencies are all standard so Google is very helpful with this.  If you are trying to do this with a ham radio instead of a GMRS radio, then I can see that you are in for a difficult time.

DPL, DTC and DCS tones are all different words for the same thing.  CTC, CTCSS and PL are also all words for the same thing - they do the same things as DPL, DTC, and DCS, but slightly differently. 

None of this has anything to do with split-tones, which is simply one tone or type of tone on the transmit frequency of a repeater and a different one on the receive frequency.

18 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I'm not going to write you an essay here about repeater frequencies and tones, because you are going to get a lot of those. One thing that may help though is to know what kind of radio you are using.

Hi.. I have 3 radios.. Two Tidradio ht8's I think is the model and the one I'm referring to here is the beofeng GM15. I really like it. It's just easier to work with it seems and has a bigger antenna, etc..  I'm going to use the Tidradio's as FRS radio's I think.. for my parents.. 

23 hours ago, WRXD372 said:

Ok.. I've been playing with my Radio.. 
I'm still a little confused. Sorry, but I am still a little confused with this offset business. 

I asked permission for a repeater and was sent two frequencies. One is 462.7000 The other is 467.7000 and of course was sent the codes that I won't mention here, but I've set them on all the channels trying to connect to the repeater which may just be too far away, but I have to rule out the channel and frequency mistakes I may be using first. .

So my radio has repeater channels built in, like channels 23 thru 30, but only has the 462.7000 frequency as a repeater channel, not the 467.7000, so I assume you're saying that I use that repeater channel which is 462.7000 and it will work and the radio will know to use the other channel to transmit, but if I use that repeater channel that is built in, it has no offset from the factory.. and I can't change it.  So, I created a channel in the DIY channels with 462.700 with the appropriate DL codes and the offset of .5000 to make up for the difference in both frequencies.. Would this be the channel to use then or should I just use the built in repeater channel as mentioned above and be done with it EVEN THOUGH THE offset is blank? Plus, I'm not able to change the built in repeater channel offset, but I am able to change it on the DIY channels.. I hope that makes sense.. It's confusing as hell.. Because I can only pick one of the frequencies in the repeater built in channels and I realize that the repeater uses a transmit and receive frequency which are different. 

Thanks again.. Sorry for the other thread.. 
Tim

In order to reduce interference and feedback loops, repeaters use two frequencies: One to transmit and one to receive. The good new: Your radio's repeater channel is programmed for this :)

You receive on the listed frequency and when you transmit, the radio shifts to the transmit (the receivers receive) frequency automatically (easy enough as the offset in GMRS is the same on all channels.

Tones reduce interferences by keeping the radio silent unless the signal includes the right tone. If repeaters use different tone for receive and transmit, they are said to use split tones.

DPL is just a type of tone and your software or manual can help you with that :)

22 hours ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Also, what programming software you're using as different software has different ways of doing things.

No programming software. I couldn't get it to work.. Both the beufeng radio and my tidradios both require I update the firmware, but each both radio's firmware will not work on my Windows 10 pro laptop PC for some damn reason. I've tried two cables and both can't connect or read from either of my USB c ports. My pc has two of them. They show up in the software, but it times out and says no connection even though I'm trying to update the firmware. I even tried chirp and it didn't work, and I tried the radio companies proprietary software and no go either. It shouldn't be so hard for sure. So, I resorted to working using the key pad on both radios. I like the Baofeng radio GM 15 better though as it has a longer Abree, I think the name is antenna.  This stuff could make a tree man crazy.. :-p

Thanks in advance.. 
Tim

23 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Randy. 
I was just telling the other person that answered me originally that I'm still confused. Here's why. 
I realize that the repeater channels use to frequencies. However, my radio on a repeater channel only shows 1.. 
So, I asked permission to use a repeater and I was sent two frequencies with the same DPL code. 
One was 462-7000 which I have as a repeater channel. The other was 467.7000 which I don't have as a repeater channel. So, I am assuming the offset of the 462.7000 would make up for this difference in frequency, but my radio on the built in repeater channel number 7 I believe it is listed as RPT 7 is the 462.7000 but no offset. I can't change it either as it gives me a "cancel" when I hit the menu button after changing it.. Now, if I save that channel as a do it yourself channel like DIY 37, then I can change the offset using .5000 and I'm assuming that would make up for it, but I don't know for sure and this is a question? Since, a repeater uses two frequencies it has to know somehow which is the second frequency I'm assuming and I would guess that it's the offset.. Plus, there is a menu item for frequency offset direction? The choices are none, forward and backwards or something like that.. Does this also need to be set? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I get this right .. 
It would seem to me it should just work out of the box with the repeater channels, but having all these menu options is giving me paralysis :-p

Regards kind sir.. Oh.. What happened to your Berretta 92 matt you used to have on your vids? I see lately you've been using a shotgun matt. BTW. My buddy that was in the special forces in the Army said they had some part that constantly broke on the 92 constantly.. Just fyi sir.. 
Tim
Tim

2 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

No programming software. I couldn't get it to work.. Both the beufeng radio and my tidradios both require I update the firmware, but each both radio's firmware will not work on my Windows 10 pro laptop PC for some damn reason. I've tried two cables and both can't connect or read from either of my USB c ports. My pc has two of them. They show up in the software, but it times out and says no connection even though I'm trying to update the firmware. I even tried chirp and it didn't work, and I tried the radio companies proprietary software and no go either. It shouldn't be so hard for sure. So, I resorted to working using the key pad on both radios. I like the Baofeng radio GM 15 better though as it has a longer Abree, I think the name is antenna.  This stuff could make a tree man crazy.. 😛

Thanks in advance.. 
Tim

1st recommendation, get rid of Windows, too many driver problems I highly recommend using Linux for this, a cheap Chromebook with Linux capability will work a treat and easy peasy if you follow Chirps instructions. Of course if you're stuck on Windows, uninstall the drivers for your cables and reinstall them. Windows is and has always been a major hassle in and of itself.

1 minute ago, WRZF693 said:

Wouxun_KG-UV9GX_CyborgEd3.pdf

Check this out, to explain, the frequency is the receive channel, the next is what you call it, (see channels 23-58,) next is what kind of tone you need, then the frequency based on that info, then the next line is whatever the tone case is, it's on several lines depending on whatever your using, in this case your using the PL "Tone" on both receive and transmit which are different so you'd fill out both, or just the one if they're the same. Moving on, your using duplex mode, so you have to tell it, then what kind, in this case + and it's 5.0000 MHz separation. The rest should be self explanatory. I hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@CyborgAlienWRYG738 Double check channel 31 in your file. Probably just a typo but 146.520 isn't GMRS.

Nope it's the default ham calling frequency used there to help comment the line, as it's used in several places, since this is for GMRS and my device is a WOUXUN KG-UV9GX which has the ham frequency transmits blocked.