Scanning for other channels from RadioReference.com .. Any one else have luck?

WRZF693

Question

Hi Everyone.. 

I wanted to add some channels to just listen to and I went to RadioReference.com and added some channels that were mostly VHF frequencies and I have yet to hear a word out of those channels..  With that said, I did notice that the local police and state police, and fire, etc, have all been upgrading to a system called Safe or something and I think it's called a Trunking system with encryption.  They still however list some VHF frequencies for the fire department and local ambulance, etc, and even a HAM club just down the road..  I've not heard a word.. Only NOAA seems to be using these frequencies..  Anyone else have luck listening to VHF channels? I've not tried the air wave channels for airports, etc.. I'm mostly interested in Police, but that seems to be impossible now as they all seem to be upgrading to new systems. 

15 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

Hi Everyone.. 

I wanted to add some channels to just listen to and I went to RadioReference.com and added some channels that were mostly VHF frequencies and I have yet to hear a word out of those channels..  With that said, I did notice that the local police and state police, and fire, etc, have all been upgrading to a system called Safe or something and I think it's called a Trunking system with encryption.  They still however list some VHF frequencies for the fire department and local ambulance, etc, and even a HAM club just down the road..  I've not heard a word.. Only NOAA seems to be using these frequencies..  Anyone else have luck listening to VHF channels? I've not tried the air wave channels for airports, etc.. I'm mostly interested in Police, but that seems to be impossible now as they all seem to be upgrading to new systems. 

Don't depend on the accuracy of the frequencies you see in their database. They depend on users to send them info, which they try to verify. I have noticed some retail frequencies for a local mall where the store has been out of business for a number of years yet the entry remains in their database.

I had attempted to get some frequencies added a few years ago but I was told by the admin for that area he wouldn't do it without further confirmation. After that experience I just don't bother.

If you're not hearing any traffic on the frequencies it's very likely they are no longer used. One fairly good check however is look to see if there is an FCC call sign listed. If so then look it up on the FCC's database. Under that call sign there is a tab for frequencies licensed. If the ones you have are not listed then for sure they aren't used any longer and you can delete them. 

Another source is to see if there is a local ham radio club. They will likely be able to tell what is used in the area. You can also get a scanner and find things yourself. I use a hand held Uniden BC125AT and it works great for the stuff in my area which is all analog still. I get marine/coast guard, UHF/VHF ham of course Sheriff, EMS, fire, our local Washington state ferry boats and deck hands, even FRS/GMRS/MURS. I'm in a rural area and there is not always stuff going on. The scanner is quiet more than active, we have it on most of the time we are home and awake. Mostly we just listen to emergency services on it. I use my GMRS radios for scanning that band in case I need to respond to someone.

3 hours ago, Lscott said:

One fairly good check however is look to see if there is an FCC call sign listed. If so then look it up on the FCC's database.

This is what I do. When I moved to this area a bunch of years ago I searched LEO, Fire, and public works for our county. I then checked the FCC database for frequencies on which I was not hearing anything. To my surprise the were all active just not much going on. I live in a mountain area. The two largest counties around me, Fresno and Madera, have not made the jump to trunked systems or digital and still use VHF.

8 hours ago, WRZF693 said:

Anyone else have luck listening to VHF channels?

I have and SDS200 scanner that downloads everything from RadioReference.com's database and I am able to pick up a LOT of VHF traffic.. Mostly things like forestry service and several other federal agencies, public service traffic, some ambulance service companies and the California Highway Patrol.. 

On UHF I am also able to get a couple of police departments, the Los Angeles County Sherrif's department and a couple of fire departments, but all the others are encrypted.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, Lscott said:

Thank you so much man.. I appreciate it.. 

Don't depend on the accuracy of the frequencies you see in their database. They depend on users to send them info, which they try to verify. I have noticed some retail frequencies for a local mall where the store has been out of business for a number of years yet the entry remains in their database.

I had attempted to get some frequencies added a few years ago but I was told by the admin for that area he wouldn't do it without further confirmation. After that experience I just don't bother.

If you're not hearing any traffic on the frequencies it's very likely they are no longer used. One fairly good check however is look to see if there is an FCC call sign listed. If so then look it up on the FCC's database. Under that call sign there is a tab for frequencies licensed. If the ones you have are not listed then for sure they aren't used any longer and you can delete them. 

On 11/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I was looking for local police and found them, but they were old. Then I looked again and they said they went to some other cryptic numbered and lettered system which I'm guessing is encrypted, but the frequencies were in the 840 to 850.xxxx MHZ, so I'm assuming no listening to those? 

Thanks Randy! You rock sir! 

Tim

I have and SDS200 scanner that downloads everything from RadioReference.com's database and I am able to pick up a LOT of VHF traffic.. Mostly things like forestry service and several other federal agencies, public service traffic, some ambulance service companies and the California Highway Patrol.. 

On UHF I am also able to get a couple of police departments, the Los Angeles County Sherrif's department and a couple of fire departments, but all the others are encrypted.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, WRHS218 said:

This is what I do. When I moved to this area a bunch of years ago I searched LEO, Fire, and public works for our county. I then checked the FCC database for frequencies on which I was not hearing anything. To my surprise the were all active just not much going on. I live in a mountain area. The two largest counties around me, Fresno and Madera, have not made the jump to trunked systems or digital and still use VHF.

Interesting..

On 11/13/2023 at 9:32 AM, WRWE456 said:

Another source is to see if there is a local ham radio club. They will likely be able to tell what is used in the area. You can also get a scanner and find things yourself. I use a hand held Uniden BC125AT and it works great for the stuff in my area which is all analog still. I get marine/coast guard, UHF/VHF ham of course Sheriff, EMS, fire, our local Washington state ferry boats and deck hands, even FRS/GMRS/MURS. I'm in a rural area and there is not always stuff going on. The scanner is quiet more than active, we have it on most of the time we are home and awake. Mostly we just listen to emergency services on it. I use my GMRS radios for scanning that band in case I need to respond to someone.

Interesting.. There is nothing, and I mean nothing going on around me, but I live in a very very rural area.. 

On 11/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, Lscott said:

Thank you so much.. 
Tim

In case anyone is wondering I was able to do a google search and found a website that has a scanner.. I'm thinking it was something broadcasting.com or something like that.. If you do a search you'll find it and they had my area both police and fire and ambulance available, but it was about as exciting as watching paint dry.. Not hardly any traffic.. Someone locked themselves in a fence, two people unconscious needed an ambulance, etc.. Nothing really interesting, but I live in the Rural South of Indiana which is about like living in TN or something.. I love that part.. 

On 11/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, OffRoaderX said:

The whole State of Indiana went to an encrypted system I do believe. It's in the 800.mhz range .. It's actually listed, but I can't receive it.. I think the channels jump around like the Military does, but that's just a guess! 
Regards sir.. 
Tim

have and SDS200 scanner that downloads everything from RadioReference.com's database and I am able to pick up a LOT of VHF traffic.. Mostly things like forestry service and several other federal agencies, public service traffic, some ambulance service companies and the California Highway Patrol.. 

1 hour ago, WRZF693 said:

In case anyone is wondering I was able to do a google search and found a website that has a scanner.. I'm thinking it was something broadcasting.com or something like that.. If you do a search you'll find it and they had my area both police and fire and ambulance available, but it was about as exciting as watching paint dry.. Not hardly any traffic.. Someone locked themselves in a fence, two people unconscious needed an ambulance, etc.. Nothing really interesting, but I live in the Rural South of Indiana which is about like living in TN or something.. I love that part.. 

Broadcastify.com 👍 I think most of the "scanner" apps get their audio feeds from there too.