Icom F40GT Manual Programming?

mks

Question

Any Icom folks that might know if these radios can be programmed manually? I have two of these that were programmed some years ago that I now need to make changes to (just changing some tones). I have the programming software and cable, but am having problems with serial port chipset / drivers (PL2303HXA driver, running on Win 10), so haven't been able to get it to work. User manual doesn't address manual programming. Thanks in advance if you can help, or have driver suggestions.

Thanks!

Mark

WPVU464

23 answers to this question

2 hours ago, mks said:

I dug in a bit last night and so know of the Prolific issues. Downloaded their file set and went through steps but so far that did not fix it, I'll take a look at your thread in detail and see what comes. Thanks. To be continued most likely...

OK: Let me know how it goes for you...

No worky. The Read Me on the driver install says that the program won't detect the HXA chipsets on W8 or above...I'm W10. I'm not using The Icom cable (OPC-966U), so maybe that would help? I just need to change some tones, so if it could be programmed manually that would suffice.

Thanks.

Mark

WPVU464

15 hours ago, mks said:

I'm W10. I'm not using The Icom cable (OPC-966U), so maybe that would help? 

I see those cables selling for over $125 each!

you are using Icom software? Does the software run on Windows 10, but fails due to the driver?

Was GMRS Outlet local to Houston or mail order?

im somewhat surprised that the minions here are not jumping in to help you with manual programming!  

No “affiliate link” I guess! 🤣

2 minutes ago, mks said:

Yea those cables are pricey. That's why I stuck with the old one😀. Yes, using Icom CS F30G software, runs on W10.

Are you “handy” with DIY, if an adapter is an option?

do you have other USB cables, such as the FTDI cable that goes USB to K-1 for Baofeng UV-5R etc?

I do not have any so-called waterproof HTs, so no personal experience with the connector used in those radios such as IP-67 standard. 

I see that Buytwowayradios sells Icom radios that are IP-67 and I wonder if those cables would work, and are probably much more affordable. 

Have you spoken to Icom Technical Support about manual programming?

6 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I find that ordering the factory serial or usb cable is your best choice vs cheap junk online. I've never had an issue with any of my ICOM stuff using the factory cable. For my 30GT we still have for SAR all use the serial cable. 

Did you read this thread, or are you just pontificating?

On 11/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, mks said:

Any Icom folks that might know if these radios can be programmed manually? I have two of these that were programmed some years ago that I now need to make changes to (just changing some tones). I have the programming software and cable, but am having problems with serial port chipset / drivers (PL2303HXA driver, running on Win 10), so haven't been able to get it to work. User manual doesn't address manual programming. Thanks in advance if you can help, or have driver suggestions.

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

I did read it and was stating the cheap cable he has is most likely the issue. Using the ICOM cable albeit expensive will work. Apparently online radio experts abund here...and folks wonder why those working in the field disappear from this site...

I guess you missed reading this part:

23 hours ago, mks said:

Awesome, that worked. Thanks so much!