Not a Ham yet, but questions about HF frequencies? Use, etc?

WRZF693

5 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

Yes, but ...

Note: It is up to the team administering the session to "allow" for multiple tests based on "time constrains" and VE availability -- if your try "from zero to hero", it's a good idea to "call ahead" :) 

(Not trying to be technical, just putting on my CVE hat!)

It’s never wrong to ask questions first, but our coordinator has been very open to taking multiple tests.  The people who stand the best chance of passing multiple tests don’t take much time on the first test. 🙂

58 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

[...] The people who stand the best chance of passing multiple tests don’t take much time on the first test. 🙂

... and they often only miss one question.

Same here - we try to make it happen !!!

Overall, our test results are rather "distinct" and most candidates are very aware - people either pass with "flying colors" and a smile or they make the "maybe next time' face when returning the test material :) 

On the back-end, W5YI is processing the applications at a record time: Our exams are on Saturday, I upload on the weekend, the ULS / FCC database shows the new / updated records not later than Tuesday morning... in 2006, I had to wait for "months" (at least it felt like it :)).

I am still hesitant to offer or participate in online sessions. The team saw some changes last year (new CVE, new testing material as I started printing directly from the web, new venue...) and I am holding on to paper as long as I am allowed. #GotToKnowYourAudience

32 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

... and they often only miss one question.

Same here - we try to make it happen !!!

Overall, our test results are rather "distinct" and most candidates are very aware - people either pass with "flying colors" and a smile or they make the "maybe next time' face when returning the test material :) 

On the back-end, W5YI is processing the applications at a record time: Our exams are on Saturday, I upload on the weekend, the ULS / FCC database shows the new / updated records not later than Tuesday morning... in 2006, I had to wait for "months" (at least it felt like it :)).

I am still hesitant to offer or participate in online sessions. The team saw some changes last year (new CVE, new testing material as I started printing directly from the web, new venue...) and I am holding on to paper as long as I am allowed. #GotToKnowYourAudience

The Bozeman ham club (perhaps better monied than others) has switched to tablets for in-person testing. I haven’t seen it yet but it sounds interesting. 

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

The Bozeman ham club (perhaps better monied than others) has switched to tablets for in-person testing. I haven’t seen it yet but it sounds interesting. 

Interesting indeed and, the way I see this developing, the clear future! 

W5YI keeps telling me that "old" kindle fire tablets are "somewhat cheap" when on sale and that they can be "reprogrammed (jailbreak?!?) for the purpose of testing.

Our sessions are testing about three or four candidates on a good day (none on others) but also might go as high as 15 - 20 after a technician class (once or twice a year). I guess that we would need half a dozen tablets just to cover "most sessions" ... Tablet "maintenance" such as updates and regular charging sounds like more work than printing 30 sets of tests ?!? I would also need some hotspots as our venue does not have internet ... ... paper sounds just so much easier (for now) :)