Not a Ham yet, but questions about HF frequencies? Use, etc?

WRZF693

Hi radio folks. 

I'm not a Ham yet, but considering it.  I'm a geek partially and I think I would enjoy the hobby, plus Iw ant to be able too talk on the VHF frequencies that an HT would entail.  That said, I'm also wondering about the HF frequencies.  I saw a chart about HF and it looked like it was mostly to do with Morse code or using a piece of hardware and computer software to talk on HF frequencies.  Can you just buy a radio and antenna and talk on some HF frequencies? Hope that's not a dumb question.  I am thinking that I'm a disaster it would be nice to talk at distance to receive and give information.. I would be interested in joining for instance a search and rescue group or something to that effect..

Thanks in advance

Tim.. 

Yes, you can use voice almost everywhere.  Most of the spectrum is for voice use.  In 9 of the bands available, you can use voice, data and Morse Code / CW through the entire band.

HF radio is amazing for long range communications.  With general class privileges, you will be able to talk around the globe, day or night.

The main reason I got into it was for emergency communications.  I figure if there is a problem here, and help is needed, calling a station outside the impacted area is the best bet.

29 minutes ago, WRZF693 said:

Hi radio folks. 

I'm not a Ham yet, but considering it.  I'm a geek partially and I think I would enjoy the hobby, plus Iw ant to be able too talk on the VHF frequencies that an HT would entail.  That said, I'm also wondering about the HF frequencies.  I saw a chart about HF and it looked like it was mostly to do with Morse code or using a piece of hardware and computer software to talk on HF frequencies.  Can you just buy a radio and antenna and talk on some HF frequencies? Hope that's not a dumb question.  I am thinking that I'm a disaster it would be nice to talk at distance to receive and give information.. I would be interested in joining for instance a search and rescue group or something to that effect..

Thanks in advance

Tim.. 

Almost all of the bands have a portion reserved for phone (voice) and a portion reserved for CW (carrier wave - which is very effective for Morse code).

The use of phone or CW is also limited by class of amateur license (Technician - most limited, General, or Amateur Extra - least limited). A generic chart showing which class is allowed and where for each band is called a “band plan.” 

Some states have slightly different band plans  as well.

I’ll post the general band plan here:

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart - 11X17 Color.pdf

You will want to get your general class amateur license if you really want to use the HF bands.Technician class is limited to a very small range on 10 meters (28.3 MHZ to 28.5 MHz) for phone (voice).

Here is a list of all bands open to technician class. https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Tech Band Chart/US Amateur Radio Technician Privileges.pdf

As you can see, technician license holders are very limited when it comes to HF bands.

I edited this reply after seeing that I posted the same link as Sshannon.

Edited by WRYZ926

44 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I'll say that someone should go for General regardless, since it is not that much harder than Technician and grants plenty of extra privileges.

I agree with you on that. I should have studied more for the general before I took my technician test.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:21 PM, WRYZ926 said:

I agree with you on that. I should have studied more for the general before I took my technician test.

Saaaaame, I passed my tech on Sunday with only 1 wrong answer, tried for general with zero studying and got 18/35. I plan on studying for both general and extra so once winter hits full force and I have time to kill, I can go test again and try to knock out both at the same time. I'm annoyed with myself for not thinking ahead and being in a rush to at least have my tech.

Maybe a little late to the party, but I hope this helps new General license holders.

I am a pretty new ham who, for now, just uses voice, and I too have the 11x17 band plan chart on my wall.  I found this somewhat difficult to read at a distance, so I made a spreadsheet, voice only frequency chart, that I printed and laminated.  I made a little stand for it that I keep right next to my radio to help me stay within the General license Voice portion of the bands.  

To the amateur operators that are more experienced than I, please let me know if I have made a mistake in my chart.

I hope this is of some use.

James

WROD278 / K8JCL

Frequencies.jpg

Amateur Radio Voice Privileges for General Class Hams.xlsx

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, marcspaz said:

Hello...

Thank you.. Sorry it took so long to reply. I broke my leg and have been in the hospital and recovering.  

Yes, the HF bands sound great for emergencies which is why I am considering getting my ham license and for the extra HT stuff in 70 cm and VHF frequencies one can use.  Especially though the 10 meter stuff.  Can the technician use enough talking on HF? I think they can I believe ? 

Regards. 

Tim.. ( wrzf 693)

--------------------

Yes, you can use voice almost everywhere.  Most of the spectrum is for voice use.  In 9 of the bands available, you can use voice, data and Morse Code / CW through the entire band.

HF radio is amazing for long range communications.  With general class privileges, you will be able to talk around the globe, day or night.

The main reason I got into it was for emergency communications.  I figure if there is a problem here, and help is needed, calling a station outside the impacted area is the best bet.

I'm

i became a HAM some 20 years ago with intentions of enjoying the HF bands and I did all the while living in Sacramento where i pretty much could eract any antenna i wanted.  But when i moved to my current home in the Mojave Desert, i have since been selling off all my HF gear and have gotten into VHF and UHF.. HF is defiantly a lot more fun and enjoyable but the current subdivision i live on (and its a half acre large lot), i am not allowed to have antennas..  I do have a VHF and UHF antenna set-up, no one has complained yet.  I wouldn't want to chance it with a larger HF antenna array..    When looking for our new home, I never even considered the issues with antennas when i purchased this property, If i did, i would have been looking elsewhere..  So what i'm saying, if you are getting into HAM to enjoy HF,,  make sure to always consider the fact that you need some decent antennas that may not work with your property CCR's.   Good Luck and enjoy your new HAM License..   You will defiantly have fun, either way you go.  

2 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

you need some decent antennas that may not work with your property CCR's

I live in a condo where I can't set up a permanent antenna, but I set up my very simple homebrew ground-mounted HF antenna on the common area grass outside my condo similar to a Wolf River Coil setup. I normally do 10-40 meters. I've got some decent DX contacts and a lot of contacts in Canada and the U.S. I just can't leave it set up. The neighbors sometimes ask but they all think it's pretty cool. 

On 11/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, back4more70 said:

I'll say that someone should go for General regardless, since it is not that much harder than Technician and grants plenty of extra privileges.

But one still must take the Technician test first, correct?

23 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

But one still must take the Technician test first, correct?

Yes, you have to take each test in order, but you are allowed to take one test, and then the next and the next as long as you pass each one.  You can walk in without an Amateur license and walk out having passed the Amateur Extra test.  If you use something like HamStudy to study, it’s entirely possible.

6 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

If I could take the General test online I would do it.

Some VECs do support online testing.  Usually you must provide a couple of cameras to demonstrate that your workspace is clear  and that you are following the few rules.

https://blog.hamstudy.org/2020/06/so-you-want-to-take-a-remote-exam/

17 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Some VECs do support online testing.  Usually you must provide a couple of cameras to demonstrate that your workspace is clear  and that you are following the few rules.

https://blog.hamstudy.org/2020/06/so-you-want-to-take-a-remote-exam/

@GreggInFL

The Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group VEC (GLAARC) is offering online sessions almost daily ... no more waiting for next month :) ... and only $10 ... nation wide online access.

While we ("my team" / HDannex.com) are still testing in person, one of our friends (and team-mate) is helping out with the online sessions and he really likes it.

HamStudy.org: Find an Exam Session

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Yes, you have to take each test in order, but you are allowed to take one test, and then the next and the next as long as you pass each one.  You can walk in without an Amateur license and walk out having passed the Amateur Extra test.  If you use something like HamStudy to study, it’s entirely possible.

Yes, but ...

Note: It is up to the team administering the session to "allow" for multiple tests based on "time constrains" and VE availability -- if your try "from zero to hero", it's a good idea to "call ahead" :) 

(Not trying to be technical, just putting on my CVE hat!)