"Type C" programming connection on TYT TH9800D

WRZE615

Question

Does anyone know anything about the "Type C" programming connection used on the TYT TH9800D quad band radio?  I'm having a problem connecting with the radio, even using their supplied programming cable.  I know that communication is serial and I think that they use the Chinese  CH340 chip, but do they use 2 wire serial or something else and what pin-out do they use on the USB-C connector.  I'd like to make my own interface cable using the FTDI serial converter chip.  I've tried TYT's software and CHIRP, but neither will connect with the radio.  I acts like a port driver problem, but I have tried several different drivers with the same results.  Anyone have any ideas ?  J. Allen

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have a TH9800D, unfortunately, but it’s much easier to diagnose driver issues than it is to roll your own data cable. Make sure you load the appropriate driver first before ever plugging in the cable!

The pinout of the USB-C is described here:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/introduction-to-usb-type-c-which-pins-power-delivery-data-transfer/

It is not a simple interface.  

I see from the reviews that at least one person did receive a programming cable that was DOA.  The dealer replaced it.  

Good luck!