New GMRS user, looking for others in my area.

WRZW447

Try using the "Repeaters" tab.  Then, under advanced search, just to the right to the Frequency tab, hit the down arrow.  Scroll down and select Ohio.  This should bring up a list of all the repeaters in Ohio.  One more thing to try is, selecting on the "Map" tab.  This takes a minute to load, so be patient.  Then zoom on any location you wish.  These are the 2 things I used to find repeaters in my area, or any area I may be traveling to.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

1 hour ago, WRYC373 said:

Just a reminder that GMRS is a bring your own party radio service.

It is not really meant for talking to random people over the radio; although you can use it for that purpose. If that is what you really want out of a radio service ham may be better for that use case.

Will probably be getting into ham too. Got a GMRS for Christmas so decided to see what I can do with it.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:06 AM, labreja said:

Try using the "Repeaters" tab.  Then, under advanced search, just to the right to the Frequency tab, hit the down arrow.  Scroll down and select Ohio.  This should bring up a list of all the repeaters in Ohio.  One more thing to try is, selecting on the "Map" tab.  This takes a minute to load, so be patient.  Then zoom on any location you wish.  These are the 2 things I used to find repeaters in my area, or any area I may be traveling to.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

Can pickup one in my area with what I have on my handheld. Definitely going to be getting a base station and elevated antenna in the near future.

4 hours ago, WRYC373 said:

Just a reminder that GMRS is a bring your own party radio service.

It is not really meant for talking to random people over the radio; although you can use it for that purpose. If that is what you really want out of a radio service ham may be better for that use case.

I notice a vocal minority on this Forum has taken it upon themselves to attempt to dissuade GMRS users from "chatting" with other GMRS users who are not their family members, friends, or happen to drive a kidney masher with a strange nickname (or NOT!).

You paid your $35, now go forth, within the structure of the FCC Part 95 rules, and enjoy your radio!

Stating the fact that there are not droves of GMRS users across the country staring at their radios every-night waiting to chit-chat with strangers is not dissuading anyone from doing anything.  Its simply stating a fact.

If this makes you sad, I have just the cure to ease your pain and itching.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:05 PM, WRZW447 said:

Looking for anyone in the NW Ohio area between Fremont and Perrysburg, to talk to. I’m very new to this, and would like to try out my radio as I just got my license a couple days ago.

As others have pointed out GMRS is most frequently used between two or more people who know each other, but there’s nothing wrong with joining in a net or even transmitting on an unused channel hoping to make contact with other GMRS users. You could set your radio to scan the main 462 MHz channels to see if you receive any repeater traffic (repeaters transmit on the main 462 channels but the channels are shared with simplex users as well.)

Welcome to the forums and Merry Christmas!

Maybe it's telling that ham radio operators will actually reach out on their radios to find strangers to chat with but GMRS users go on the internet to find strangers to chat with on their radios. But I understand that everyone needs a place to start when new. Was a funny thought I just had.

And yes Merry Christmas all!

3 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Stating the fact that there are not droves of GMRS users across the country staring at their radios every-night waiting to chit-chat with strangers is not dissuading anyone from doing anything.  Its simply stating a fact.

If this makes you sad, I have just the cure to ease your pain and itching.

You talkin’ to me?!?

Because I wasn't talking to YOU!