GMRS While Traveling MI to AK

WRZD706

We are planning a trip from MI to AK this summer.  How prevalent will the use of GMRS be on the route?  I see that there are many repeaters in the US south of Canada and a few in AK.  How does Canada handle GMRS?  Do they also have repeaters?  Is there a database of them if so?  I am not intending to rely on GMRS for anything serious, but rather use it for road conditions ahead and entertainment to pass the miles by.  Is CB a better service?  Is there a mobile GMRS radio that can receive CB that I can convince my wife we need in the RV?

5 hours ago, WRZD706 said:

Is there a mobile GMRS radio that can receive CB

As soon as I say no, someone here will spend the rest of the week trying to prove me wrong, so I'll say most likely no, even though there is no mobile GMRS transceiver that I've ever heard of that receives CB. Also, since there's no special regulations in Canada for CB use, you might have better luck with CB. Truckers tend to communicate road conditions with each other via CB, at least in my experience. Especially when the weather turns nasty.

If you're definitely using your GMRS radio in Canada then you should be aware of the Industry Canada, their FCC, rules. They are closely similar to the US FRS rules. Per the Annex E specifications GMRS radios in Canada are restricted to no more than 2 watts ERP, effective radiated power. That's a significant restriction. 

Canada GMRS-FRS Rules.pdf Canada FRS - GMRS Channels.pdf Canada Annex E - GMRS and FRS.pdf