Software (other than CHIRP) to reprogram a Wouxun KG-905G

Reclusiarch

Question

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to myGMRS.com and its forums, but I have a question, and I am hoping somebody might be able to help me. As my post title implies I am trying to get into the channel programming (and tone codes, etcetera) for my Wouxun KG-905G GMRS 5watt radio. I purchased two Baofeng BF-888S radios and wanted to have all three radios work on the same channels and frequencies.

I used the CHIRP software to backup the original programming of the two Baofeng radios (thanks YouTube DIY videos, lol), and then manually entered in the correct frequencies for GMRS channels 1-7, FRS channels 8-14, and GMRS channels 15-16; along with resetting the transmission power levels to the correct 5w/0.5w/5w settings per the FCC rules.

When I tried to use CHRIP on the Wouxun KG-905G however, it was not functional. It seems all of the listed Wouxun radios are 'experimental' and the 905G is not listed; nor would CHIRP communicate with the radio using a different radio type/name (1000 series, etcetera).

I then downloaded KG-905G software (from twowayradios.com?), set the correct COM port, but still could not make a successful communication with the Wouxun radio.

While I do have all three radios communicating as I wanted, my concern is the lack of ability to "get into" the programming of the Wouxun radio. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.   :)

5 answers to this question

Assuming you are using the same cable that worked with CHIRP and your Baofengs, then either you have the wrong software or you have a Windows/port/driver issue. 

I would try to reboot everything, then go directly into the Wouxun software, ensure you have the right port selected and try again. If no joy, try each different port.. If still no joy exit out and do a RUN AS Administrator for the program and try again.  If still no joy, Uninstall the Wouxun software, then RE-Install, but RUN AS Administrator when you run the installation .. If STILL no joy, do anything else suggested in this thread between now and Tuesday.. If still no joy, contact BuyTwoWayRadio support on Tuesday and they can walk you through everything possible.

Wow, thanks for the quick response! If you are the same person whose videos I have seen on YouTube (since your forum photo is familiar) then THANKS, I have learned a ton from watching your channel!

Okay, back on topic: Yes, I am using the same cable. I ensured the correct COM port (5 for some reason) was is in use however, I did notice one thing the 2way site mentioned: the Wouxun software **must** be run in compatibility mode in order to function correctly; odd, yes?

I'll try your suggestions of cycling through the ports, running as Admin, and then follow up with a nice cup of hot coffee while it re-installs.

Thanks again for the response!

45 minutes ago, Reclusiarch said:

If you are the same person whose videos I have seen on YouTube (since your forum photo is familiar) then THANKS, I have learned a ton from watching your channel!

2way site mentioned: the Wouxun software **must** be run in compatibility mode in order to function correctly; odd, yes?

That Youtube guy is just a shill for Chinese radio manufacturers and has been copying me since day-1..

I assume you are actually running the software in the correct computability mode?  If not, you should do that.

@Reclusiarch Concerning CHIRP, did you actually read from the Wouxun first? You can't just take the Baofeng file and upload it strait to the Wouxun. You have to download from the Wouxun and then copy/paste your channels from the Baofeng file to the Wouxun file. Then you can upload the Wouxun file to the Wouxun radio.

Edited by WRXB215
Added info.