Ordered another BTech GMRS V2.

WSAA635

Used the credit from the Radtel RT-470x to order another V2. The one I have seems like a pretty solid unit and my plans were to have 2 for my "working" radios. 

I actually picked up a fast food place about a mile and a half away on 462.390MHz yesterday. I think for a basic GMRS radio the V2 is good choice. 

Still need to figure out which "high end" radio I'm going to get. Maybe a Wouxun 935G since it's supported in my CHIRP Legacy flatpak I have installed. Might even go with the 935G Plus if I knew it would work with the standard 935G program.

I can't speak for the 935G Plus software working for the 935G. Everyone in my local radios club has either the KG935G Plus or KG-Q10G, including myself.

I do know that the KG-1000G Plus softwares works just fine for the KG-1000G. The Wouxun software is free from Buy Two Way Radios and easier to use compared to CHIRP. You do have to have a Windows computer or run the software in an emulator if you are running Linux or MacOS.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

Might even go with the 935G Plus if I knew it would work with the standard 935G program.

I have a KG-935G Plus and use the KG-935G Plus software in Chirp. I have no issues and as I use a Mac I prefer to use Chirp. This is still my favorite GMRS radio. Just my experience and opinion.

From what Randy said in his comparison video the main difference is mostly the display along with a few additional features.

If I find that the Plus won't work I'll just get the standard G.  Either way it should work well enough for my needs.

Funny, one of the reasons I chose the KG-935G plus was because it does not require a computer to program. Unless you have a lot of repeaters you want programed or lots of scanning frequencies to add it's not hard to do it via FFP.

Give "Buy Two Way Radios" a call to confirm software compatibility. I would be surprised if they are not. It's the same radio with mostly programing updates.

58 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Thanks, I just might email them to see if the Plus uses the same CHIRP settings.

There are two distinct software downloads in chirp. One for the KG-935G and one for the plus. What am I missing here? Why do you feel the need to use the same for both? The software is free. 

7 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

There are two distinct software downloads in chirp. One for the KG-935G and one for the plus. What am I missing here? Why do you feel the need to use the same for both? The software is free. 

Because my version of CHIRP(Legacy/Flatpak) only has the KG-935G listed. If they're going to be different then I'll just buy the KG-935G(NOT the Plus) and be done with it.

5 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Because my version of CHIRP(Legacy/Flatpak) only has the KG-935G listed. If they're going to be different then I'll just buy the KG-935G(NOT the Plus) and be done with it.

Okay, Sorry. I missed that. I am not familiar with "Legacy/Flatpak". It's Linux, is that right?  Sounds like your saying they do not update this as often. Either way both the plus and the non plus are good radios. Not a huge difference. 

7 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

There is a version of CHIRP Next for Linux. I would go ahead and upgrade from CHIRP Legacy to CHIRP Next if it was me. 

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

I’ll second that. I run Chirp Next. It seems like about fifty percent of the time when I open it I get a message to update to the latest version. I take that to mean they’re keeping things updated. 
side note I gotta laugh every time I type “Chirp” on the iPad because it shows this emoji 🐥😂

I've tried to install Chirp Next several times with no luck from the original tar.gz download and from a converted .deb file using Alien and it never worked. The flatpak, being self contained was fairly easy to install.  It's a 20220111 file and I don't think it's being updated anymore. It would be nice if Chirp would make a flatpak out of their Next version. I'm probably just going to have to stick with the radios that are available in my Legacy Flatpak install. 

8 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

I've tried to install Chirp Next several times with no luck from the original tar.gz download and from a converted .deb file using Alien and it never worked. The flatpak, being self contained was fairly easy to install.  It's a 20220111 file and I don't think it's being updated anymore. It would be nice if Chirp would make a flatpak out of their Next version. I'm probably just going to have to stick with the radios that are available in my Legacy Flatpak install. 

This page explains the dependencies for Chirp Next on Linux.  

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpOnLinux

If you run something like MX Linux it's actually a fairly easy operating system to use. Much more user friendly than it was 12+ years ago when I started with it. 

Installation is easy, updates get all installed packager(except flatpaks or snaps) and there's a boat load of free software to use. I use Kdenlive to edit my YouTube videos and Libre Office for my document needs. 

When updates hit if you don't want to do them you don't have to unlike windoze which practically forces you to do them. 

To say I like using Linux would be an understatement. 

I really enjoy both of my BTECH GMRS PROs, but I wish BTECH would have included the ability to monitor digital systems. I realize the primary use for FRS / GMRS simplex and repeaters. However, I do enjoy the ability to monitor Railroads and Walmart associates, but sooner or the Class 1 RRs will be switching over to IDAS/NXDN and unless I want to keep monitoring Railroads, I'll have to carry to different radios again.